You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

11 hours ago, Mook said:

Green Book

I absolutely loved this, not 100% convinced by Viggo Mortensen as an Italian American & the scene in the blues bar towards the end was cheesy but the script was superb & the relationship between the two main characters was borderline genius.

Great film, have posted this before but the guy who Mortensen plays, Tony Lip, is the guy who went on to play Carmine in The Soproanos.

Mahershala Ali is a magnificent actor too, he's brilliant in Luke Cage as Cottonmouth.

M_Id_344284_Tony_Lip.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 27/02/2021 at 09:27, RedKnight said:

Martha Marcy May Marlene - Been trying to catch this for years but kept missing it. It's now on Star on Disney+ so was able to finally see it. Elizabeth Olsen escapes a cult and returns to normality living with her sister but finds the trauma and the real world difficult to deal with. Olsen's terrific in what was her first film role and the low key nature and style of the film suit the story. 8 out 0f 10

Good film i recall, remember watching it when it came out, probably due another viewing.

On 27/02/2021 at 00:23, Colonel Kurtz said:

I used to like this but watched it again the other night and it was so fucking slow. A great 90 minute film. 

Not for me mate. It's an epic - a story about a group of friends in a working class town, their lives, some going off to war, others staying behind and getting on with their lives; then the war itself, escaping capture, living in Vietnam; then the return to USA - I mean, there's a lot to pack in! Not sure it could be done over 90 minutes. It's a long film - it needs that time to develop a story, for characters to grow (or not), and for years to pass. I'm not sure the Deer Hunter could be done in 90 minutes. 

I'd say that the wedding scene is too long - but then what is too long? I had a morning to myself, knew how long the film was and settled in knowing largely what to expect. 

But, generally, yes, a lot of films are too long when most could be boxed off in 90 minutes. I think it might be a modern thing where studios think the longer a film is the more serious it is.

I Care A Lot - Crime thriller/drama/comedy with Rosamund Pike as a con woman who runs a business taking guardianship of old people, sticking them in homes and bleeding them of all their money. She thinks she's found another mark in a retired woman with no family but things go awry quickly. Go into this thinking that you're not going to like any character involved and your blood won't boil when Pike's smug character does awful things with a smirk on her face. It's a good crime movie and Pike really is terrific as this awful human doing shit things to people. Not going to go much further as it'll be better knowing very little before you watch it. It's good, stick with it. 7.5 out of 10

18 hours ago, Mook said:

Green Book

I absolutely loved this, not 100% convinced by Viggo Mortensen as an Italian American & the scene in the blues bar towards the end was cheesy but the script was superb & the relationship between the two main characters was borderline genius.

Superb film that mate. 

• Upvote 1

On 27/02/2021 at 11:11, Paul said:

Couldn’t agree more. Arguably the biggest change in cinema over the last thirty years - even including technology - is the pacing. So many films from the era of The Deer Hunter are ridiculously long; self-indulgently so, in many cases. 

Now I know why my film tastes and yours are usually polar opposites.

Once upon a time in America - Amazon Prime. 

It's certainly not short. Forget what the runtime is but somewhere around four hours. There are so many facets to the movie both Mr rb14 and I found it hard to keep track and that's certainly not helped by the mixed chronology in use. All that said, some - perhaps most - of the scenes were amazing. Sumptuous. Equally there were a couple of scenes that I'm fairly certain wouldn't be shot, let alone released today. They are definitely not for the faint-hearted and I found them both difficult, to say the least. 

We watched it over two nights; the Amazon Prime version had a pretty well-placed "Intermission". I don't believe we lost out by not watching it in one sitting. We'd certainly have got more from it had the chronology been less convoluted. 

8/10.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, cloggypop said:

Most of the Marvel films are over 2 hours long as well. I don't get it.

Give me the American New Wave stuff from the 60s to early 80s any day over that.

I like most classic films from most eras. Pacing is not just about length though. 

8 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

The Korean film?

Loved it. Utterly fantastic film.

Yeah that's the one.  It genuinely needs a rewatch or two, and not just for the "erotic" scenes, I'm sure I can manage it though.

9 hours ago, rb14 said:

Mean Streets - Amazon Prime. 

Very good. Gritty. Real. Wasn't sure whether De Niro looked more like Keith Moon or Noel Gallagher. 

8/10.

Noel Gallagher? 

Very, very harsh on DeNiro.

5 minutes ago, rb14 said:

I know. Interesting you should reply. There was a lengthy exchange between (I think) DeNiro and Keitel on the word "Mook". 

It's where my nickname came from, that pool hall scene.

"Call those skanks girls?"

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mook said:

It's where my nickname came from, that pool hall scene.

I did wonder. Glad I mentioned it then otherwise you'd be dropping loads of hints going "Were there any memorable scenes?" or "Any particular bits of dialogue?" and I'd be like WTF? I could see this going on for quite some time; "What about the pool hall scene?" and "No, not the fight itself, any other bits that stood out for you?" and "Wasn't there some chat about a cook or something like that?" and I'd be at a complete loss. 

Anyway, I did, so you didn't. 

• Upvote 1

The Mauritanian

True story about the abduction, torture and subsequent trial of a man accused of playing a part in 9/11.

Starring Jodie Foster, Shaileen Woodley, and the guy who played the murderer in BBC's recent The Serpent, it's decent without ever being fantastic.

The fella is excellent in this but as a whole, I don't think it deserves too many Oscar nominations.

7/10 Kodi Seren Real Debrid

Free State of Jones - Civil War drama based on the real life events in Jones County during the US Civil War and reconstruction era with Matthew McConaughey as Newton Knight, a man who rebelled against the Confederacy. I was disappointed with this, it felt very matter-of-fact on the telling of the story to the point that it felt like a documentary reconstruction rather than a film with a script. The real life story is interesting so maybe a documentary would have been better. It did have dramatic and emotional beats, and it has a good cast and is well shot, but it never took me with it. There's also a really odd narrative, framing device that pops up out of nowhere. As a criticism of the South and the Confederacy it's pretty good but as a dramatic film with characters you care about, it doesn't do enough. 5 out of 10.

Calm with Horses - Irish crime thriller with Cosmo Jarvis as an ex-boxer who now works with for a local crime family as an enforcer. If that description sounds pretty generic then it is, luckily the film doesn't lean into any of the gangster-type tropes you'd expect and what you get is a thoughtful film about family, where you belong and where your loyalty should lie. Excellent central performance by Jarvis who I never thought "that's an actor playing that role" but he seemed entirely believable as that character. It's grim and brooding for some part but it's a scaled down film and is much more thoughtful than its synopsis would have you think. 9 out of 10.

1 hour ago, RedKnight said:

Free State of Jones - Civil War drama based on the real life events in Jones County during the US Civil War and reconstruction era with Matthew McConaughey as Newton Knight, a man who rebelled against the Confederacy. I was disappointed with this, it felt very matter-of-fact on the telling of the story to the point that it felt like a documentary reconstruction rather than a film with a script. The real life story is interesting so maybe a documentary would have been better. It did have dramatic and emotional beats, and it has a good cast and is well shot, but it never took me with it. There's also a really odd narrative, framing device that pops up out of nowhere. As a criticism of the South and the Confederacy it's pretty good but as a dramatic film with characters you care about, it doesn't do enough. 5 out of 10.

Calm with Horses - Irish crime thriller with Cosmo Jarvis as an ex-boxer who now works with for a local crime family as an enforcer. If that description sounds pretty generic then it is, luckily the film doesn't lean into any of the gangster-type tropes you'd expect and what you get is a thoughtful film about family, where you belong and where your loyalty should lie. Excellent central performance by Jarvis who I never thought "that's an actor playing that role" but he seemed entirely believable as that character. It's grim and brooding for some part but it's a scaled down film and is much more thoughtful than its synopsis would have you think. 9 out of 10.

Where can I watch Calm with Horses?

12 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

The Mauritanian

True story about the abduction, torture and subsequent trial of a man accused of playing a part in 9/11.

Starring Jodie Foster, Shaileen Woodley, and the guy who played the murderer in BBC's recent The Serpent, it's decent without ever being fantastic.

The fella is excellent in this but as a whole, I don't think it deserves too many Oscar nominations.

7/10 Kodi Seren Real Debrid

Her chebs in Adrift are Oscar worthy. 

The Silencing - 6/10. A thriller set in rural North America starring Jamie Lannister and Tommy Shelby’s dead missus. Some lidder is hunting teenage girls and the alcoholic dad of one who went missing gets tied up in trying to kill the bloke. The local sheriff is in the mix too. 

The plot is full of holes and the whole thing is narratively silly. And yet the tone is consistent and it’s entertaining enough. File under shite but worth a watch if there’s nothing else on.