You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

On 31/01/2021 at 12:19, Stickman said:

Enduring Love ...Can’t give it a score as the start freaked me out that much I had to turn it off....

Usually when I see a film with disturbing images in the synopsis I’m all over it but this was too disturbing and too realistic...Might go back later in week.

Good cast though with Daniel Craig, Rhys Ifans , Bill Nighty and it’s on Film Four catch up 

You've seen the best bits. I wouldn't bother with the rest.

On 25/02/2021 at 21:26, Stickman said:

Think I’d rather see Oliver Hardy playing Capone ...

He did start off playing villains in the silent movies.

Back then, the standard thing was to cast a big bloke in the role of a "heavy" and have him fill the screen with huge, over-the-top movements. Oliver Hardy's simple/genius insight was that it was much funnier for a bloke that size to have genteel manners and dainty gestures.

Martha Marcy May Marlene - Been trying to catch this for years but kept missing it. It's now on Star on Disney+ so was able to finally see it. Elizabeth Olsen escapes a cult and returns to normality living with her sister but finds the trauma and the real world difficult to deal with. Olsen's terrific in what was her first film role and the low key nature and style of the film suit the story. 8 out 0f 10

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I used to like this but watched it again the other night and it was so fucking slow. A great 90 minute film. 

Couldn’t agree more. Arguably the biggest change in cinema over the last thirty years - even including technology - is the pacing. So many films from the era of The Deer Hunter are ridiculously long; self-indulgently so, in many cases. 

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Good point. 2 hours is my absolute limit these days. Can’t stand long drawn out scenes, life’s too short.,

I do think it’s possible to go longer and maintain engagement but it’s rarely done well.

Tarantino is a shocker for a lack of self-discipline in the editing room. He just lets his films ramble these days but without either the quality or invention of Pulp Fiction. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

Ha ha. Way too many for a top 5!

More like:

Top 10 ‘50s films under two hours long. 
Top 10 ‘60s films under two hours long. 
Top 10 ‘70s films under two hours long. 
Top 10 ‘80s films under two hours long. 
Top 10 ‘90s films under two hours long. 
Top 10 2000s films under two hours long. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Paul said:

More like:

Top 10 ‘50s films under two hours long. 
Top 10 ‘60s films under two hours long. 
Top 10 ‘70s films under two hours long. 
Top 10 ‘80s films under two hours long. 
Top 10 ‘90s films under two hours long. 
Top 10 2000s films under two hours long. 

Yeah, exactly. Lists of stuff are great, though.

Watched Apocalypse Now - The Final Cut on Prime last night. Absolutely fantastic fillum although the addition of the previously-cut French Plantation scene didn't bring an awful lot extra to the party. Subsequently read up on a lot of the trials and tribulations of shooting the movie; a story in itself. 

10/10. Excellent. 

2 minutes ago, rb14 said:

Watched Apocalypse Now - The Final Cut on Prime last night. Absolutely fantastic fillum although the addition of the previously-cut French Plantation scene didn't bring an awful lot extra to the party. Subsequently read up on a lot of the trials and tribulations of shooting the movie; a story in itself. 

10/10. Excellent. 

Did you read about the fleet of helicopters that were being filmed, flew off on an emergency mission? Don't know if that's urban myth or true. 

8 minutes ago, rb14 said:

10/10. Excellent. 

It's a film I've never seen mainly because I'm not really into the Vietnam stuff, I don't know why.

WW1, WW2 or virtually any other war I'll watch. Strange really.

I'll make a point to give it a watch.

I really thought The Debt Collector would be right up my street. I love these type of films and TV series. 

The trailer did a smashing job but the film was very flat and offered nothing original or interesting. 

It was just felt like Shai Lebeuff ( or whatever the fuck he is called) owed some director money and agreed to appear in it to raise the profile and get knob heads like me to buy into it.

5/10.

• Upvote 1

First Cow

Another film tipped for the Best Picture Oscar, sorry but I just don't get it.

A gentle cook meets a fugitive Chinaman on the Appalachian trail, they encounter the first cow in the territory and things go from there.

Just incredibly, incredibly slow.

3/10 Kodi - Seren - Real Debrid

9 hours ago, Paul said:

I do think it’s possible to go longer and maintain engagement but it’s rarely done well.

Tarantino is a shocker for a lack of self-discipline in the editing room. He just lets his films ramble these days but without either the quality or invention of Pulp Fiction. 

Sally Menke dying seemed to give Tarantino carte blanche to do whatever he wants. She really reigned him in

Green Book

I absolutely loved this, not 100% convinced by Viggo Mortensen as an Italian American & the scene in the blues bar towards the end was cheesy but the script was superb & the relationship between the two main characters was borderline genius.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Mook said:

Green Book

I absolutely loved this, not 100% convinced by Viggo Mortensen as an Italian American & the scene in the blues bar towards the end was cheesy but the script was superb & the relationship between the two main characters was borderline genius.

Great film, I watched it in the cinema. A surprise viewing for my family who had no idea what they were seeing beforehand. 

Watched Rose Island on Netflix last night, based on the true story of Georgio Rosa who built an artificial island off the coast of Italy (just outside Italian territorial waters) in the 1960s and declared it an independent state.

Good fun and the actress who plays Gabriella might be the finest woman in existence.

7.5/10