You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Tinker, Tailor, soldier, Spy

Was enjoying it until the big reveal which was a massive letdown. 

Great cast and acting top notch but it felt like I’d been watching a flash back of previous episodes that I’d missed. 

Don’t think Ciaran Hinds speaks more than 2 words and there was a load of overlong scenes where no one does or says anything that just added nothing to the plot. 

Ended up having to buy the book and watch the original TV series to fill in the blanks. 

Might watch it again now I know the story but not recommended for 1st time viewing. 

Disappointing  5/10

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Tinker, Tailor, soldier, Spy

Was enjoying it until the big reveal which was a massive letdown. 

Great cast and acting top notch but it felt like I’d been watching a flash back of previous episodes that I’d missed. 

Don’t think Ciaran Hinds speaks more than 2 words and there was a load of overlong scenes where no one does or says anything that just added nothing to the plot. 

Ended up having to buy the book and watch the original TV series to fill in the blanks. 

Might watch it again now I know the story but not recommended for 1st time viewing. 

Disappointing  5/10

The TV series and the follow up, Smiley's People / The Quest For Karla, are fantastic.

1 minute ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

The TV series and the follow up, Smiley's People / The Quest For Karla, are fantastic.

Just finished the tv series. Was better than the book which is a rarity. Put TTSS and Smileys people into my watchlist on Amazon while I was reading the book and I’m convinced the bastards put a fee to watch on them as I’m sure they were originally free to view. Having a scout round to see if smileys if free to view anywhere but not getting any joy. 

• Upvote 1

The Bourne Legacy - had low expectations going into this after seeing bum reviews, but you know what I enjoyed it. Well, I enjoyed the action scenes - the talky bits were long, macho and pretty nonsensical (Ed Norton was massively OTT). But the action choreography was great and I thought Renner actually made a good hero - he was pretty realistic as an army vet mentally and physically damaged. Thought the stand out action piece was near the beginning in the house. The car chase was ace, too. Bit of an abrupt end though. 

6.5 / 10.

image.png

19 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

Not a new film but saw Dead Mans Shoes recently. Absolutely superb. I don’t rate 90% of films I watch, but that was fucking cool. Dark though.

It's one of my favourite films ever. Can watch it over and over again.

1 hour ago, Red74 said:

Just finished the tv series. Was better than the book which is a rarity. Put TTSS and Smileys people into my watchlist on Amazon while I was reading the book and I’m convinced the bastards put a fee to watch on them as I’m sure they were originally free to view. Having a scout round to see if smileys if free to view anywhere but not getting any joy. 

They're on BritBox, I think (edit- TTSS is, can't see Smiley's People). You should be able to get a 7 day free trial if you haven't already had one (although I assume a different email address would work). If not, then Smiley's People is on Daily Motion-

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

This. I didn't know whether to cry, cheer or hide behind the sofa when the revenge started.

MV5BNDVlZmU2ZWEtNTcwZS00MjgxLTlhMjQtNGU4MWQyYTY1MTc3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

He was truly terrifying as a character that didn’t give a fuck anymore. Amazing acting.

if films this good can pass me by it makes me wonder what else I’ve missed

8 minutes ago, Mudface said:

They're on BritBox, I think (edit- TTSS is, can't see Smiley's People). You should be able to get a 7 day free trial if you haven't already had one (although I assume a different email address would work). If not, then Smiley's People is on Daily Motion-

Cheers 

On 11/02/2021 at 23:27, Shooter in the Motor said:

Pieces of a Woman. Absolutely outstanding film, I knew very little about it before sitting down to watch it and I'm pleased about that. 9/10. It's a Netflix production but can be found on the usual Kodi sources I'm sure.

Just watched this based entirely on your review.

Really well acted and cast and the opening sequence was especially well done but the whole thing was an entirely morose and joyless experience.

I really disliked this film and I had zero wish to ever see Shia LeBouf's cock.

A thoroughly miserable matinée.

4/10 - expect it'll do well at the Oscars.

28 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Anchorman, 6/10. Never seen it before but was expecting something epoch-defining due to its rep, just seemed like a very average Fast Show sketch.

I think it's one of those films that you had to watch when it came out. Similar to Napoleon Dynamite in that respect. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Anchorman, 6/10. Never seen it before but was expecting something epoch-defining due to its rep, just seemed like a very average Fast Show sketch.

I don't like the fight scene with the other stations and a few bits are just shite but on the whole its funny as fuck. 

"Live with Ron Burgundy and Tits Magee" 

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

If you don't particularly like juvenile comedy,which Will Ferrell has made a career from,you wont find it anything special. I didnt either. Similar to Stepbrothers and Elf,mildly amusing in parts but a bit embarrassing overall.

3 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

If you don't particularly like juvenile comedy,which Will Ferrell has made a career from,you wont find it anything special. I didnt either. Similar to Stepbrothers and Elf,mildly amusing in parts but a bit embarrassing overall.

To be honest I don't mind that kind of comedy, we've watched a few the last few weeks, Superbad, 40 year old virgin and the likes, and they're far funnier IMO.

The amount of people who love anchorman and all the merchandise and stuff around at the Time made me think it was gonna be some next level shit, I was disappointed. 

Elite is probably right though in that it was a child of its time.

Sound of Metal

Riz Ahmed puts in a phenomenal performance as a screamo drummer who suddenly loses his hearing.

The film focusses on his battle to come to terms with his sudden disability and it's affect on his relationship with band mate and girlfriend, the excellent Olivia Cooke.

Refreshingly different, excellent original drama, the sort of thing the big studios should be investing in and nurturing, instead of another green screen superhero nerdy cash in.

Possible Oscar nods for the two leads.

8/10 Kodi - The Shadow - Real Debrid

3 hours ago, Elite said:

I think it's one of those films that you had to watch when it came out. Similar to Napoleon Dynamite in that respect. 

I thought napoleon dynamite was shite then me and my mate started talking about how shite it was until we were laughing so much it turned out we liked it.

I miss smoking weed sometimes.

• Upvote 1