You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Odd Thomas, adaptation of the Dean Koontz book. Reviews for it are terrible but viewers seem to rate it better. Not even sure how it was released as it was made for release in 2014 but I don't recall seeing it anywhere. It was pretty good, well put together and a fair amount of fun. 7/10.

Greenland 

Really enjoyed it. Pisses on Deep Impact and the like. Looked great on the projector as well. Really good catastrophe film without the needless cheese. Actually it was quite unsettling that it wasn’t cheesy. The wife send it from a 7 to an 8 she is truly spectacular 8/10

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Greenland 

Really enjoyed it. Pisses on Deep Impact and the like. Looked great on the projector as well. Really good catastrophe film without the needless cheese. Actually it was quite unsettling that it wasn’t cheesy. The wife send it from a 7 to an 8 she is truly spectacular 8/10

She was great in latex in Deadpool

On 06/02/2021 at 14:13, Juniper said:

Ghost in The Shell (remake) 7/10

Not bad, it got panned on release due to Scarlett Johansson playing the lead but I thought she was actually ok.

Managed to recreate some of the visuals from the original manga version quite well, I thought.

Quite an enjoyable action film. 

Not really Scarletts fault. It came out in the period between people not really caring about the race of a character in an American remake of a Japanese IP, especially if the character is a fucking robot, and studios being pressured to have every character be the same race as in the originals lest they get "cancelled" 

People are just moaning cunts basically. 

Honest Thief - 6.5/10

Liam Neeson plays a frankly dangerous and callous bank robber who somehow has the audacity to think he can get away with foul crimes whilst at the same time ruining the careers and even causing the death of the law enforcement offices who are merely attempting to bring the cocky twat to justice. And this is exactly why the criminal justice system in the US is failing. 

Unhinged - 7.5/10

a crestfallen Russell Crowe risks his very being to fight a viable cause for all mankind by calling out the unspeakably appalling and frankly dangerous standards of women drivers, not only that but he rightly tries to settle the score for all the poor menfolk who have been left mentally broken and penniless when the snakes (with tits) they once adored and married decided to divorce them and kick them to the kerb. The bitches. His good deeds are accentuated further when he gives a particular woman’s gormless waster brother and weedy needy son a real lesson in how to ‘man up’.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Odd Thomas, adaptation of the Dean Koontz book. Reviews for it are terrible but viewers seem to rate it better. Not even sure how it was released as it was made for release in 2014 but I don't recall seeing it anywhere. It was pretty good, well put together and a fair amount of fun. 7/10.

I enjoyed this when I watched it a few years back. I've read a few of the books. Probably would make a good TV show. Given a little poignancy as the lead actor died a couple of years later in a freak Jeep/gate post accident.

The Deer Hunter

A masterpiece, still. What a cast. Has De Niro ever been better? Raging Bull, perhaps. Just incredible. My only small criticism would be the overly long wedding scene. And it is now all these years later more of its time with some of the production style but that's just a fact of life watching an older film.

One of those great films (Godfather, Apocalypse Now, Taxi Driver, Deliverance) you have to sit and immerse yourself in, no distractions. Less a movie, more an experience.

10/10. 

image.png

• Upvote 2

Watching The Deer Hunter got me Googling John Cazale (aka Fredo Corleone). Can any actor better his filmography pound for pound? 

John Holland Cazale was an American actor. He appeared in five films over seven years, all of which were nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture: The Godfather, The Conversation, The Godfather Part II, Dog Day Afternoon, and The Deer Hunter, with the two Godfather films and The Deer Hunter winning.

c7b39efadbeb7e84f3066d9e4ffe602e.jpg

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I enjoyed this when I watched it a few years back. I've read a few of the books. Probably would make a good TV show. Given a little poignancy as the lead actor died a couple of years later in a freak Jeep/gate post accident.

I'm sure I've read Odd Thomas too, really good books but I don't remember the creatures that come. They're probably in there, though. It took me a while to work out it was Chekov and I originally read the year of release as 2019, thinking it was odd (pun intended). Then saw the 9 was a 4. Really good twist at the end.

3 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Watching The Deer Hunter got me Googling John Cazale (aka Fredo Corleone). Can any actor better his filmography pound for pound? 

John Holland Cazale was an American actor. He appeared in five films over seven years, all of which were nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture: The Godfather, The Conversation, The Godfather Part II, Dog Day Afternoon, and The Deer Hunter, with the two Godfather films and The Deer Hunter winning.

His missus, Meryl Streep, has done fairly well. 

I don't know where I should post this, I know there is another thread....

I've literally in the last 5 minutes, after seeing the above posts about John Cazale, I then go to tell me bird about what an amazing, though very short, career he had. 

So, I start with, remember the Godfather? to which she replies Yes....and I say you remember Fredo, the younger brother..... she replies, Yes..... the one with the white hair?

Am like what? .......He had white hair? she says...... I said no, he had black hair, so she asks me to show a picture of him......oh, him, I thought you meant Lord of the Rings.........so I says, you mean Frodo?....... yeah, that one. I've had a tough day she says. 

So Frodo is now one of the Corleone crime family. From the shire of Sicily. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Chip Butty said:

I don't know where I should post this, I know there is another thread....

I've literally in the last 5 minutes, after seeing the above posts about John Cazale, I then go to tell me bird about what an amazing, though very short, career he had. 

So, I start with, remember the Godfather? to which she replies Yes....and I say you remember Fredo, the younger brother..... she replies, Yes..... the one with the white hair?

Am like what? .......He had white hair? she says...... I said no, he had black hair, so she asks me to show a picture of him......oh, him, I thought you meant Lord of the Rings.........so I says, you mean Frodo?....... yeah, that one. I've had a tough day she says. 

So Frodo is now one of the Corleone crime family. From the shire of Sicily. 

The Lord of the Bing.

You learn something new everyday. 

When I first watched Jurassic park I thought, and did until today, that the guy who player the lawyer was Fredo from the Godfather films and I hadn't seen him in anything for ages. Turns out I was terribly wrong. 

John Cazale

Martin Ferrero playing Donald Gennaro in better times before his toilet death in "Jurassic Park."

Martin Ferrero

Image result for martin ferrero looks like john cazale

The two of them side by side, with Jonathan Pryce

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Greenland, having finished it I'm waiting for when it gets good. 4/10.

Greenland was shite. Typical Gerrard Butler, brainless action movie shite.

Cheesey as fuck, hackneyed script, plodding direction, garbage acting, his wife and kid were tedious and maddening as fuck.

Don't know why people are bigging this drivel up.

2/10

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Greenland was shite. Typical Gerrard Butler, brainless action movie shite.

Cheesey as fuck, hackneyed script, plodding direction, garbage acting, his wife and kid were tedious and maddening as fuck.

Don't know why people are bigging this drivel up.

2/10

It wasn’t cheesy at all. 

In any case Greenland, a generous 6.5/10. Entertaining. We didn't switch it off. Mr rb14 said that it's going straight off when the first person says "Let's get outta here". By the time "Let's go" (repeated ad nauseum) eventually made its appearance, the movie was nearly finished so we let it run to the end. 

Just a note for the pedants. If the plane is flying but the engine has died, if the prop is turning you don't need to engage a starter motor. If the prop isn't turning, engaging a starter motor will achieve the sum total of fuck all. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, rb14 said:

In any case Greenland, a generous 6.5/10. Entertaining. We didn't switch it off. Mr rb14 said that it's going straight off when the first person says "Let's get outta here". By the time "Let's go" (repeated ad nauseum) eventually made its appearance, the movie was nearly finished so we let it run to the end. 

Just a note for the pedants. If the plane is flying but the engine has died, if the prop is turning you don't need to engage a starter motor. If the prop isn't turning, engaging a starter motor will achieve the sum total of fuck all. 

I flew a plane like that over an island near New Zealand. To restart a stalled engine you pull up quickly after it drops and the engine restarts. In the movie it didn't stall though, it looked like the engines were completely knocked out.