You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

1 hour ago, RedKnight said:

Lynn + Lucy - Small British drama about two close friends on a council estate and what happens when tragedy strikes. Not very long but you'll recognise the people, situations and reactions, and I found it's brand of social realism quite authentic. It's quite affecting and you might find yourself seething at the inevitable consequences following the tragedy. It's on BBC iPlayer for a few more days, it's really good. 8.5 out of 10

You're recommendations have been fantastic as if late RK, much appreciated and I'll definitely be going through them once I'm out of this bloody hospital.

14 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Sightseers (2012) - Ben Wheatley.

Really enjoyed this offbeat British road movie / surreal black comedy by Ben Wheatley. Starring the underrated Alice Lowe. Won't be to everyone's taste, but if you like British and strange you won't go wrong. 

8/10. 

I watched that earlier in the year and scored it the same.

If you haven't seen it, give Wild Honey Pie a watch. Alice Lowe is in that too but not as a lead. Sarah Solemani is also in it. She has blonde hair and looks nowhere near as attractive as she does with her hair black.

MV5BZTBmMDdjZmQtYWE2Mi00NDJhLTlmZDYtNTFi

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

Sightseers (2012) - Ben Wheatley.

Really enjoyed this offbeat British road movie / surreal black comedy by Ben Wheatley. Starring the underrated Alice Lowe. Won't be to everyone's taste, but if you like British and strange you won't go wrong. 

8/10. 

91oZ76jmaRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Watched this back when it came out and remember really enjoying it, it's been long enough that I could watch it again without it being familiar . Seen it was on E4 the other night so recorded it, will give it another watch.

2 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I watched that earlier in the year and scored it the same.

If you haven't seen it, give Wild Honey Pie a watch. Alice Lowe is in that too but not as a lead. Sarah Solemani is also in it. She has blonde hair and looks nowhere near as attractive as she does with her hair black.

MV5BZTBmMDdjZmQtYWE2Mi00NDJhLTlmZDYtNTFi

I'll give that a go. Have you seen Prevenge? It's written and directed by Alice Lowe - another dark comedy about a pregnant woman who goes on a killing spree under orders from her unborn child. It's really good (sounds shit obviously). 

Needless to say when it comes to Ben Wheatley that Kill List and A Field in England are well worth a watch too.

Silent Night, Deadly Night 5/10

In keeping with the Betamax Babylon Christmas film reviews, I knew very little about this one apart from it being released in the mid 80's, getting pulled from US cinemas for being "too controversial" and it being a Christmas based slasher film.  

The premise is actually pretty decent, young boy witnesses his parents brutal murder at the hands of a psycho dressed as Santa Claus, gets sent to an orphanage and suppresses his fear or Santa and Xmas until he is an adult and he gets a job in the local toy store, has to dress as Santa and sees the girl that he fancies cop off with the colleague that he despises. So it sends him a bit west, to put it mildly.

If you like cheap slasher films with more than the average breast content, then this is the film for you. Personally, i found it a bit cack.    

Poseidon - Cruise Ship disaster movie with Kurt Russel. It also had Richard Dreyfuss in it who quite frankly should have stopped getting in the water in 1977. The giant rogue wave scene looked great on the projector. Other than that.. well it was a Cruise Ship disaster movie with Kurt Russel and I got what I deserved. 

2.5/10 

Vice - Christian Bale is unrecognisable as Dick Cheney in this biopic, of sorts, about the US VP. It's from Adam McKay, director of the Big Short, but it's not as zippy or interesting as that film. It's too long at just over two hours and it's not especially funny either. Good performances from all involved especially Sam Rockwell as George W. Bush but otherwise this was a little disappointing. 5 out of 10

Happiest Season - Festive romcom with Kristen Stewart and Mackenzie Davis as a lesbian couple who go to the latter's parents and they don't know she's gay. Lots have been made that this is the first, big gay couple comedy and all that jazz, and the best I can say is that you don't ever flinch that the two main characters are a couple, it is treated, for the large part, like the everyday thing it now is. But... it's still a bit old fashioned to have a 'trapped in the closet' comedy of manners and whilst it might be progressive in the central couple, it's difficult to overlook that this 'progressive' comedy features a family that has massive wealth, a massive house and a cushy lifestyle with no comment on that wealth at all. Which sounds very Guardianista of me, I get that, but it's a bit shite going on what a breakthrough it is when it has a lifestyle which is unrealistic to most people. No wonder the squeezed middle of the US go on about out of touch liberal elites, here's a film which seems to prove the point. It's good but it's not as groundbreaking as it thinks it is. Dan Levy was brilliant in a role that's made to be flashy. 7 out of 10

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

Vice - Christian Bale is unrecognisable as Dick Cheney in this biopic, of sorts, about the US VP. It's from Adam McKay, director of the Big Short, but it's not as zippy or interesting as that film. It's too long at just over two hours and it's not especially funny either. Good performances from all involved especially Sam Rockwell as George W. Bush but otherwise this was a little disappointing. 5 out of 10

Happiest Season - Festive romcom with Kristen Stewart and Mackenzie Davis as a lesbian couple who go to the latter's parents and they don't know she's gay. Lots have been made that this is the first, big gay couple comedy and all that jazz, and the best I can say is that you don't ever flinch that the two main characters are a couple, it is treated, for the large part, like the everyday thing it now is. But... it's still a bit old fashioned to have a 'trapped in the closet' comedy of manners and whilst it might be progressive in the central couple, it's difficult to overlook that this 'progressive' comedy features a family that has massive wealth, a massive house and a cushy lifestyle with no comment on that wealth at all. Which sounds very Guardianista of me, I get that, but it's a bit shite going on what a breakthrough it is when it has a lifestyle which is unrealistic to most people. No wonder the squeezed middle of the US go on about out of touch liberal elites, here's a film which seems to prove the point. It's good but it's not as groundbreaking as it thinks it is. Dan Levy was brilliant in a role that's made to be flashy. 7 out of 10

Vice was much better than that. I enjoyed it because the actors were mostly unrecognisable as their characters,which helped focus on showing them to be the monstrous cunts they are.

We rewatched Tenet last night. It’s still simultaneously utterly incomprehensible and strangely entertaining. Still don’t know how to rate it. What I do know though is that JDW can be as big a star as he wants to be. He is incredibly charismatic and incredibly watchable. 

Watching Wonder Woman.

It’s decent enough but despite being 70 mins in, I’m not entirely sure why Wonder Woman has decided to trapse across Nazi occupied Europe.

Also, Gal Gadot, despite being undeniably beautiful, does absolutely nothing for me. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Soul 8.5/10

Pixar magic again. Meanders a little bit in parts but when the story comes together it's wonderful. Great music, great animation, just great.

Did you watch that on disney+?