You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Watched Richard Jewell last night. Saturday seems to have become a bit of a movie night. Quite nice not to wake up with a hangover and high levels of self loathing for however long it lasts.

I believe there has been some criticism as to the historical accuracy of this film but it’s an enjoyable watch.

Directed by Clint Eastwood, It’s focus is on the true story of a security guard who discovers a bomb at a pre Atlanta Olympics event in 1996. At first he is declared a hero but it doesn’t take long before suspicions are raised that he actually planted the explosives himself.

7.5/10

• Upvote 1

Dark Waters - Real life story of Dupont chemicals knowingly allowing PFOA into the local water supply which caused widespread health issues among the human and animal population. Illustrating the rapacious nature of American capitalism, the nature of justice that's visited upon massive US corporations and the tenaciousness of people under duress, this is fascinating but also fairly standard stuff for the genre. Enjoyable but you're not going to see anything groundbreaking, you might be angry about the callousness of people. 7.5 out of 10

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, RedKnight said:

Dark Waters - Real life story of Dupont chemicals knowingly allowing PFOA into the local water supply which caused widespread health issues among the human and animal population. Illustrating the rapacious nature of American capitalism, the nature of justice that's visited upon massive US corporations and the tenaciousness of people under duress, this is fascinating but also fairly standard stuff for the genre. Enjoyable but you're not going to see anything groundbreaking, you might be angry about the callousness of people. 7.5 out of 10

Yeah it was good that one. Not as good as Spotlight, but along those lines.

• Upvote 1

Hounds of Love 8/10

Australian film about a couple who kidnap young girls, hold them captive for a period of time while they carryout their perversions and then kill them. The female of the couple is under the total control of her boyfriend who she's prepared to do anything for.

Had a very real feeling about it. so much so, I had to google it to see if was based on a true story.

Disappearance at Clifton Hill 

6.4/10. Its about a girl who witnessed a kid getting beaten up then kidnapped when she was young. She moves back home as an adult and wants to solve the disappearance. Turns out she's a bit of a crank (you'd marry her like) and all isn't as it seems. Worth a watch. You wont watch it twice like but if you're stuck for something then do it. 

Started that Arkansas last night, about 45 minutes in but we were shattered so went asleep. Looking forward to the rest. Quirky. 

1 hour ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Hounds of Love 8/10

Australian film about a couple who kidnap young girls, hold them captive for a period of time while they carryout their perversions and then kill them. The female of the couple is under the total control of her boyfriend who she's prepared to do anything for.

Had a very real feeling about it. so much so, I had to google it to see if was based on a true story.

And was it? 

15 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

And was it? 

I deliberately didn't put that in as I wanted people to decide for themselves if they watched it.

The film makers claim it's not based on the Birnies but there are apparently so many similarities, others claim it is.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jul/26/hounds-of-love-australia-gorefest-true-crime

I would have scored it 9/10 but I thought the give away as to the girls location was weak and wouldn't have been out of place in a cheap who done it play.  

Watch it and report your own findings.

3 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I deliberately didn't put that in as I wanted people to decide for themselves if they watched it.

The film makers claim it's not based on the Birnies but there are apparently so many similarities, others claim it is.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jul/26/hounds-of-love-australia-gorefest-true-crime

I would have scored it 9/10 but I thought the give away as to the girls location was weak and wouldn't have been out of place in a cheap who done it play.  

Watch it and report your own findings.

Where did you watch it, Dougie? It's not on Prime or Netflix.

6 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Where did you watch it, Dougie? It's not on Prime or Netflix.

It was on Film 4. I had it recorded so not sure when it aired, but it wouldn't have been that long ago.

It's available on 4OD for the next 27 days. You'll just need to register to watch it via this link.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/hounds-of-love/on-demand/68403-001

• Upvote 1

I don't know all these films mentioned, I've just got Free view but it does me. 

Ice Cold In Alex anyway, a decent film with a good cast. 

I'd always want Harry Andrews on my side and Sylvia Sims was quite the gal in her day. 

It's good they way they done the quicksand scene, "Throw to me man it's pulling me down" in  a South African accent. 

• Upvote 1

Her 7/10

A man splits with his long term girlfriend and ends up falling for his operating systems Artificial Intelligence which is voiced by Scarlett Johansson (Samantha) 

It's one of those films you don't need to pay full on attention to. I didn't think I'd stick with it but it kind of drew me in while I was also browsing TLW.

29 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Her 7/10

A man splits with his long term girlfriend and ends up falling for his operating systems Artificial Intelligence which is voiced by Scarlett Johansson (Samantha) 

It's one of those films you don't need to pay full on attention to. I didn't think I'd stick with it but it kind of drew me in while I was also browsing TLW.

Yet you wont watch The Blind Side???? Fucking hell mate. 

Seriously, watch The Blind Side. Its based on a true-story. Please watch it. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Is that the Northern Ireland one? Ive got that to watch this weekend 

Yes, it's good I thought, there was one thing though and that's one of the fellas chasing the Army lad has a jacket on that I don't think they had in 71, he looks like he's from these days, you'll see what I mean. 

Yeah it's alright.