You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Blood Vessel - 5/10. Aussie film in which the survivors of an Allied hospital ship that’s been torpedoed take refuge on a  Nazi ship where the crew have unleashed something nasty and are all dead. Naturally, being Aussies they’ve made the Brit a craven coward. Nice bad guy design, but shame there’s zero originality outside of that, though. 

7 hours ago, Section_31 said:

The Inbetweeners film, 9/10.

The best depiction of a lads' holiday at that age ever, from the random pill head to the pissed up squaddie by the pool and the PR bird one of your mates falls in love with. Pure brilliance. 

Yeah it's ace, the whole show is.

Le Mans 66 (Ford v Ferrari) - I believe the film had a different title depending which country you watched it in.

It’s a true story based around two men attempting to build and race a car on behalf of Ford that could beat Ferrari at Le Mans.

Starring Mat Damon and Christian Bale, it’s a decent enough watch, if a tad long at just under two and a half hours. The racing scenes are pretty good and the cars (I’m not really into cars) back then were things of beauty as well as being death traps. 

7/10.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Le Mans 66 (Ford v Ferrari) - I believe the film had a different title depending which country you watched it in.

It’s a true story based around two men attempting to build and race a car on behalf of Ford that could beat Ferrari at Le Mans.

Starring Mat Damon and Christian Bale, it’s a decent enough watch, if a tad long at just under two and a half hours. The racing scenes are pretty good and the cars (I’m not really into cars) back then we’re things of beauty as well as being death traps. 

7/10.

I thought that was a great film. 8/10 at least for me 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, YorkshireRed said:

Starring Mat Damon and Christian Bale, it’s a decent enough watch, if a tad long at just under two and a half hours. The racing scenes are pretty good and the cars (I’m not really into cars) back then were things of beauty as well as being death traps. 

7/10.

I find it hard to believe a motor racing film could beat the 1966 film Grand Prix starring James Garner and a whole host of top F1 drivers at the time. It was a great film and I don't even like motor sport.

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I find it hard to believe a motor racing film could beat the 1966 film Grand Prix starring James Garner and a whole host of top F1 drivers at the time. It was a great film and I don't even like motor sport.

Not one I’ve seen, sounds a rainy Sunday afternoon watch when there’s no decent unmentionable on. James Garner is always good value. 

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Not a patch on Herbie goes to Monte Carlo

• Upvote 2

The Personal History of David Copperfield - Armando Iannucci's version of the Charles Dickens novel with a more comedic slant. I've not read the book, though I'm aware of the broad plot, and the film took a few liberties with the source material but it's charming enough with a sly line in humour and a good cast. Dev Patel is an engaging lead and there's great support from Hugh Laurie, Peter Capaldi, Ben Whishaw and a really funny Tilda Swinton. Dickens adaptations aren't for everybody but this has enough of a modern eye whilst keeping the same time period as the novel. 7 out of 10

10 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

The Personal History of David Copperfield - Armando Iannucci's version of the Charles Dickens novel with a more comedic slant. I've not read the book, though I'm aware of the broad plot, and the film took a few liberties with the source material but it's charming enough with a sly line in humour and a good cast. Dev Patel is an engaging lead and there's great support from Hugh Laurie, Peter Capaldi, Ben Whishaw and a really funny Tilda Swinton. Dickens adaptations aren't for everybody but this has enough of a modern eye whilst keeping the same time period as the novel. 7 out of 10

We had a screener of it for a couple of months and didn’t bother because we thought it’d be shite and then one night we did the lazy ‘alright, just stick it on’

Both me and the better part of the Spanner Union loved it.

It’s such a sweet film, especially when Death of Stalin was the film before.

Took us both by surprise.

Well worth watching. 

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

We had a screener of it for a couple of months and didn’t bother because we thought it’d be shite and then one night we did the lazy ‘alright, just stick it in’

Both me and the better part of the Spanner Union both loved it.

It’s such a sweet film, especially when Death of Stalin was the film before.

Took us both by surprise.

Well worth watching. 

I knew it had good reviews but I'm always a bit ambivalent with Dickens adaptations. I wasn't surprised as such but I did find it a lot more funny than I thought it could be. Any time Tilda Swinton and Hugh Laurie were on-screen was the source of most of it.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

I knew it had good reviews but I'm always a bit ambivalent with Dickens adaptations. I wasn't surprised as such but I did find it a lot more funny than I thought it could be. Any time Tilda Swinton and Hugh Laurie were on-screen was the source of most of it.

We had advance screeners of it so didn’t know anything about it, and we’re just ‘meh’ sounds a bit daft/shite. 

We were wrong!

I love Tilda, if you’ve never seen ‘I am love’ hunt it down, it’s glorious.

The Colour out of Space 8/10

I don’t tend to watch a lot of current day Nicholas Cage films as, lets face it, he makes a lot of absolute garbage these days. However I saw ‘The Colour out of Space’ as free to watch on Amazon Video and after seeing a really positive review recently so I decided to give it a go. 

The outline? A horror where a meteor crash lands in a remote farm and aliens fuck shit up for a family.

You know what? it was absolutely brilliant, I really enjoyed it. One of the most visually stunning films I’ve seen in a long time, so much so I wish I’d seen this on the big screen.

Nicholas Cage is fairly good, he does his usual over the top performance but it was a decent and fast flowing thriller/‘horror film that was different.

It’s an absolute treat on the eyes at times though. So much so I might need to go in for a second helping. It’s that good.

Great stuff, even the film poster is fucking mental. 

87E0A159-25E4-4817-9D93-0BDE1B9135C5.jpeg

• Upvote 5

On 08/11/2020 at 12:11, sir roger said:

Not a patch on Herbie goes to Monte Carlo

On 08/11/2020 at 16:59, VladimirIlyich said:

I thought Herbie Goes Bananas was the pick of the bunch.

Herbie Rides Again.

2 hours ago, Juniper said:

The Colour out of Space 8/10

I don’t tend to watch a lot of current day Nicholas Cage films as, lets face it, he makes a lot of absolute garbage these days. However I saw ‘The Colour out of Space’ as free to watch on Amazon Video and after seeing a really positive review recently so I decided to give it a go. 

The outline? A horror where a meteor crash lands in a remote farm and aliens fuck shit up for a family.

You know what? it was absolutely brilliant, I really enjoyed it. One of the most visually stunning films I’ve seen in a long time, so much so I wish I’d seen this on the big screen.

Nicholas Cage is fairly good, he does his usual over the top performance but it was a decent and fast flowing thriller/‘horror film that was different.

It’s an absolute treat on the eyes at times though. So much so I might need to go in for a second helping. It’s that good.

Great stuff, even the film poster is fucking mental. 

87E0A159-25E4-4817-9D93-0BDE1B9135C5.jpeg

Repped for putting the u back in colour.