You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

On 29/10/2020 at 09:25, Paul said:

Of course it makes sense within the (high) concept of the film: he’s dying, she loves him, there’s a way to save him and she wants to go. The “elders” swore they wouldn’t leave and so they let her go because, as has already been established, she’s capable and there aren’t any actual dangers for her to face as the monsters aren’t real. Like I said it requires some suspension of disbelief but it completely works within the world of the film. 

Spoiler: it’s not real. It’s just a tall tale. 

Totally agree with this. The point is - as they spell out - the whole reason for setting up their scheme was to protect their loved ones. It’s a well-made, well-acted suspense movie with a couple of stand out scenes.

• Upvote 1

The Invisible Man - Elizabeth Moss is a woman in a controlling, abusive relationship who escapes her partner but finds that he's died and she is now menaced by an invisible force. I liked this, had fresh ideas about what to do with an old story, didn't lean into horror but instead went with endless tension and suspense. I would guess this is because of the budget ($7m), which is small by modern standards (Blumhouse know how to produce decent, cheap films,) and allows for lingering shots, wide shots and a lot more subtlety than you'd get otherwise. There are a couple of plot holes that you shouldn't concentrate too hard on but this is decent Saturday night entertainment. 7.5 out of 10

Richard Jewell 8.5/10.

Clint Eastwood directed film about the Security Guard at the Atlanta Olympics who discovered the bomb in Centennial Park and then went on to become the FBI's prime suspect.

Surprised how much I enjoyed this. Performance and story driven and superbly shot.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Qwikage said:

Richard Jewell 8.5/10.

Clint Eastwood directed film about the Security Guard at the Atlanta Olympics who discovered the bomb in Centennial Park and then went on to become the FBI's prime suspect.

Surprised how much I enjoyed this. Performance and story driven and superbly shot.

Easy to properly feel sorry for Richard Jewell during it. Simpleton who just wanted to be respected. The thing that pissed me off with it (And does with a lot of American films with a crowd) is the crowd shots just looked amateurish. I dread them doing the vegas shooting as a movie. I know what will piss me right fucking off and it wont be the cunt hanging out the window with the machine gun. I'm pissed off now. Fuck you 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Easy to properly feel sorry for Richard Jewell during it. Simpleton who just wanted to be respected. The thing that pissed me off with it (And does with a lot of American films with a crowd) is the crowd shots just looked amateurish. I dread them doing the vegas shooting as a movie. I know what will piss me right fucking off and it wont be the cunt hanging out the window with the machine gun. I'm pissed off now. Fuck you 

You're welcome.

4 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

You say it like you know how crowds act when someone shoots a gun at them and chucks nail bombs in the middle of the group.

Got anything you want to admit to?

Arbitrage - Richard Gere, Susan Sarandon and Tim Roth. Fucking hell I was enjoying this until the very abrupt ending that left things in the air. It was possibly on its way to an 8 if they got the ending right but I'll call it a 7. Very rich but corrupt business man gets himself into more shit and tries to get out of it. 

Watchable but fucking hell I couldn't believe when the credits came on. They could have got another hour out of it. 

11 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Arbitrage - Richard Gere, Susan Sarandon and Tim Roth. Fucking hell I was enjoying this until the very abrupt ending that left things in the air. It was possibly on its way to an 8 if they got the ending right but I'll call it a 7. Very rich but corrupt business man gets himself into more shit and tries to get out of it. 

Watchable but fucking hell I couldn't believe when the credits came on. They could have got another hour out of it. 

I'm hearing the sequel has been canned. 

First Reformed - Film from Paul Schrader, starring Ethan Hawke as a minister losing his faith amidst the difficulties of a young couple in his congregation. If any film could be typical Paul Schrader then this is it. It bares all of his hallmarks and the beats of the story share similarities with, among other things, Taxi Driver. I wouldn't call it a tough watch but then not would I also call it an easy watch. It's thought-provoking and Ethan Hawke is really engaging as the minister who's not sure about anything any more. I don't really want to give plot details away, not that it's especially dense with plot, but it's a grown-up film of the kind that's difficult to find these days. 8.5 out of 10

5 hours ago, skend04 said:

His House - A great little horror/ghost story and a really ace debut from the director/writer this. The 2 leads are also very good. 8.5/10

We started this the other night, my missus is a proper screamer (!) like really fucking loud dramatic like I'm stabbing her to death revolting blood-curdling screams at jumpy stuff. We turned it off about 10 minutes in when he had a look in that hole in the living room wall. 

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

We started this the other night, my missus is a proper screamer (!) like really fucking loud dramatic like I'm stabbing her to death revolting blood-curdling screams at jumpy stuff. We turned it off about 10 minutes in when he had a look in that hole in the living room wall. 

Haha.

I didn't think it was really scary or an outright horror. But there are bits where your missus will probably alarm the neighbours for sure.