You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

4 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

I think it was her first role after transformers and it was marketed as either all out horror or Megan fox is gorgeous. People didn't like it because it was neither of these things.

She needed to restore her popularity by a serious arthouse exploration of lesbianity. Sad that both she and Jennifer Aniston passed on my detailed script.

• Upvote 1

The Village - 8/10. This is way better than most critical opinion credits it. It’s a clever, high-concept idea mostly executed brilliantly. The big reveal is a bit clunky but the build up is superb; really tense and atmospheric. The cast is fantastic, too. 

Most reviews seem to detest the twist, which I just don’t understand. The whole point of the film is that twist. It’s supposed to be big! Don’t see why suspension of disbelief is such a problem in a film like this when it’s fine in whole genres like SF or in the MCU. It’s high concept entertainment - it’s not supposed to be realistic!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Mudface said:

She needed to restore her popularity by a serious arthouse exploration of lesbianity. Sad that both she and Jennifer Aniston passed on my detailed script.

Probably didn't help that the script was titled 'The World's Best Threesome, Jen and Megan get Mudfaced' 

14 minutes ago, Paul said:

The Village - 8/10. This is way better than most critical opinion credits it. It’s a clever, high-concept idea mostly executed brilliantly. The big reveal is a bit clunky but the build up is superb; really tense and atmospheric. The cast is fantastic, too. 

Most reviews seem to detest the twist, which I just don’t understand. The whole point of the film is that twist. It’s supposed to be big! Don’t see why suspension of disbelief is such a problem in a film like this when it’s fine in whole genres like SF or in the MCU. It’s high concept entertainment - it’s not supposed to be realistic!

Paul, dude, the Village is bad and the whole conceit of sending her off for help makes absolutely zero sense whatsoever!

• Upvote 1

Watched Operation Odessa on the Netflix the other day. It’s a documentary about three fellas who tried to sell a Russian sub to the Cali cartel.

Basically just interviews with the three main guys where they definitely indulge in a bit of self mythologising. Tarzan and Tony are both great fun though so it’s quite entertaining.

7/10

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Paul, dude, the Village is bad and the whole conceit of sending her off for help makes absolutely zero sense whatsoever!

Of course it makes sense within the (high) concept of the film: he’s dying, she loves him, there’s a way to save him and she wants to go. The “elders” swore they wouldn’t leave and so they let her go because, as has already been established, she’s capable and there aren’t any actual dangers for her to face as the monsters aren’t real. Like I said it requires some suspension of disbelief but it completely works within the world of the film. 

Spoiler: it’s not real. It’s just a tall tale. 

Sorcerer, 1977 thriller/action film starring Roy Schieder as a US exile in Columbia teaming up with a load of other reprobates to transport some dodgy dynamite to an oil well for money to get them out of there. Directed by the boy who done The Exorcist & with a Tangerine Dream soundtrack. 8/10.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Mook said:

Sorcerer, 1977 thriller/action film starring Roy Schieder as a US exile in Columbia teaming up with a load of other reprobates to transport some dodgy dynamite to an oil well for money to get them out of there. Directed by the boy who done The Exorcist & with a Tangerine Dream soundtrack. 8/10.

Is that the dynamite that's old and unstable that could go off if they're not very careful with it ?

The Cleansing Hour - 7/10. Reasonably entertaining horror in which the cast of a fake ‘real exorcism’ online streaming show suddenly find shit gets real. Quite well done although the CGI elements are a bit ropey. Two missteps are a pointless subplot intended to announce what we all know is going to happen anyway, and a ‘twist’ ending that strays into stupid territory.

The Invisible Man (the new one)

I actually enjoyed it. Quite a few small things pissed me off like “well whose been feeding the dog” kind of stuff but on the whole it was decent viewing. The restaurant scene with her sister properly kicks it off.  7/10 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I actually enjoyed it. Quite a few small things pissed me off like “well whose been feeding the dog” kind of stuff but on the whole it was decent viewing. The restaurant scene with her sister properly kicks it off.  7/10 

Good film that. Didn't see the ending coming but that's the point, isn't it? He's invisible.

The Mortuary Collection - 7/10. Anthology film that’s a cross between Phantasm and Tales From The Crypt/Creepshow. The individual stories are very much at that comedic comeuppance level of the latter, rather than actual horror. The twist becomes pretty obvious from a few minutes into the final tale. And you’ve gotta have some love for Clancy Brown, who’s always good value. Decent if forgettable fun.

On 31/10/2020 at 09:34, Bjornebye said:

Yeah I thought it was decent too. The literal gaslighting near the start was a nice touch.

• Upvote 1