You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Halloween (2018) - 7/10. 

Nice to see they basically ignored all the shite sequels and made it a direct sequel to the first film. Myers at his best just moving through random houses and ending things with a few hammer blows or knife strokes to the neck. No need for the more elaborate kills as it went on. A tinge of sadness for those of us who remember Jamie Lee Curtis in Trading Places and True Lies.

8 hours ago, Anubis said:

Halloween (2018) - 7/10. 

Nice to see they basically ignored all the shite sequels and made it a direct sequel to the first film. Myers at his best just moving through random houses and ending things with a few hammer blows or knife strokes to the neck. No need for the more elaborate kills as it went on. A tinge of sadness for those of us who remember Jamie Lee Curtis in Trading Places and True Lies.

We'll always have Love Letters.

4 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Anyone seen a film called Free Fire? 2017 film, never heard of it. Seems to have Martin Scorcese involved and it's great.

Not sure about Scorcese but it's a Ben Wheatley film. All his stuff is worth watching. Some of it is fucking odd but it's always interesting. 

Just now, cloggypop said:

Not sure about Scorcese but it's a Ben Wheatley film. All his stuff is worth watching. Some of it is fucking odd but it's always interesting. 

Executive producer, whatever that is.

36 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Anyone seen a film called Free Fire? 2017 film, never heard of it. Seems to have Martin Scorcese involved and it's great.

It's kind of a filler project for pretty much everyone involved (Wheatley was just off High Rise I think).  A lot of style, not much depth, but pretty much everyone involved seemed to have a great time and it makes for a fun film.

Babadook - loved it. Felt like a film designed in the 70s, with effects from the 80s.  Lots of Murnau and Lang inspired bits and just a great performance from Essie Davis.

Gets most of its real creepiness out of the way in the first half but plays out nicely. Undermines its standing as an out and out horror, but leaves you with an existential metaphor that's arguably scarier than most. Most horror films lose something when the enemy is revealed, but this one makes it work regardless.

Anyway time for bed, don't want to lose too much sleep. I'm dog sitting...

8/10

• Upvote 1

A few here, thought I'd done them.

Bill and Ted Face the Music - Depends how much you like Bill and Ted, I always loved the original two so I got a lot out of this. Leant a little bit on nostalgia but did move the characters forward and was quite fun in how it depicted them in later life. Great casting for their daughters, especially the Ted's daughter. Alex Winter felt like he hadn't lost a beat, he was terrific throughout. Keanu felt like he'd not quite got it for a bit of the move. Felt like it had too many ideas, couldn't fit them in but the edit didn't cover it. They could've lost the robot though, that felt like a waste of time. Not cynical, fun, bit of a mess. I really enjoyed it. 8 out of 10

Judy - Renee Zellweger as Judy Garland in the last years of her life. Standard biopic tale elevated by a good performance from Zellweger. There's not much else to it but Jessie Buckley is good in a small role. 6 out of 10

Just Mercy - True story of racial injustice in the American South and a courtroom drama too. I love all this stuff in movies, never fails to engage me. Add in Michael B. Jordan, Brie Larson and Jamie Foxx and you're on to a winner. Again, nothing ground-breaking but being well made with a good cast and interesting story goes a long way. 8 out of 10

A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood - Tom Hanks as beloved US kids TV entertainer Fred Rogers and Matthew Rhys as the Esquire journalist sent to profile him and who learns a little on the way. Inherently there's not much beyond cliché here either but Hanks is just a warm screen presence and he presents the basic humanity and goodness that apparently Fred Rogers did have in spades. It's not very long but you come out of it feeling fulfilled and with a warm smile. Hanks for President. 6.5 out of 10

Wild Rose - Jessie Buckley again, this time as the lead, as a Glasgow single mum who's fresh out of prison and wants to be a country star but needs to decide if she wants to be a mum, responsible or follow the dream. Jessie Buckley's fast becoming one of my favourite actors, mad considering I hated her in Taboo, and she carries this film really well and her country renditions are excellent. 8 out of 10

• Upvote 2

On the Rocks.

Went to the Everyman tonight and picked the only film that didn’t sound awful.

Bill Murray is great, and it was a very enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours during a pandemic but it’s not likely to stick too long in the memory.

go and see it if there’s nowt better on.

6/10

Watched Detroit last night. Been on my radar since it came out a couple of years ago but it was on BBC 2 last night so stayed up and watched it. Not an easy watch. Quite harrowing in parts. Very good film in my opinion 8/10.

Not a very happy ending. Actually makes you feel quite angry as it’s based on real events.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Soft Joe said:

Watched Detroit last night. Been on my radar since it came out a couple of years ago but it was on BBC 2 last night so stayed up and watched it. Not an easy watch. Quite harrowing in parts. Very good film in my opinion 8/10.

Not a very happy ending. Actually makes you feel quite angry as it’s based on real events.

I tried to watch that a while back but it just didn't feel original enough. I have seen documentaries with real footage so maybe that clouded my view.