You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

I'm no Columbo but something tells me Rita won't be too bothered. If it does make her jealous then I'm calling this a fucking good day.

Just finished with her. I couldn't quite make out what she said as she was trying to swallow my balls at the time, but it was something like you can shove stuff up your arse.

Meh.

Watched The Nice Guys last night on the Netflix. I know it’s been hanging around for a while, but never got around to it before.

Anyway, quite good. Bit of a poor mans Inherent Vice, or LA Confidential pastiche.

More Carl Hiaasen than Elmore Leonard in the comedy crime stakes, but pretty good fun.

7/10

Heat - amazing, obviously, but what I notice most when watching it now are the score and the way it's shot. The opening sequence, for example, is just a fella getting off a train, taking an escalator, and walking to a hospital, but somehow it feels like so much more; especially when you see Bobby's face for the first time.

Also read recently that Al Pacino's character is so shouty because he was written as a coke-head, but they cut all the sequences of him actually using. Anyway, it's pretty much the perfect crime film, for me. 10/10

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Duff Man said:

Heat - amazing, obviously, but what I notice most when watching it now are the score and the way it's shot. The opening sequence, for example, is just a fella getting off a train, taking an escalator, and walking to a hospital, but somehow it feels like so much more; especially when you see Bobby's face for the first time.

Also read recently that Al Pacino's character is so shouty because he was written as a coke-head, but they cut all the sequences of him actually using. Anyway, it's pretty much the perfect crime film, for me. 10/10

My favorite film, it's flawless. You can tell Collateral is Mann too it's shot in a very similar way, you can tell he picks his own tunes too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

My favorite film, it's flawless. You can tell Collateral is Mann too it's shot in a very similar way, you can tell he picks his own tunes too.

Yeah I like Collateral, too, but it's a couple notches below Heat imo. Incredible to think the same guy also made Miami Vice, though, which is just an absolute mess.

Might give Blackhat a go tomorrow as it's the only film of Mann's I haven't yet seen.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Duff Man said:

Yeah I like Collateral, too, but it's a couple notches below Heat imo. Incredible to think the same guy also made Miami Vice, though, which is just an absolute mess.

Might give Blackhat a go tomorrow as it's the only film of Mann's I haven't yet seen.

He made a TV show too called Robbery Homicide with Tom Sizemore in a Vincent Hanna type role but it was axed pretty quickly, it was supposed to be quite high budget but I've never seen it on any channel.

10 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

He made a TV show too called Robbery Homicide with Tom Sizemore in a Vincent Hanna type role but it was axed pretty quickly, it was supposed to be quite high budget but I've never seen it on any channel.

Interesting, didn't know he'd done any TV. Just had a look on Wiki and apparently it was well received but just didn't do that well ratings wise, so it was canned (Sizemore's extra curricular activities seemingly played a part, too).

1 hour ago, Duff Man said:

I saw Heat in the cinema when it first came out, and you're spot on, it's absolutely beautifully shot and the sound is incredible- one of the best experiences I've ever had watching a film. The heist scene is just amazing, the sparse sounds, terse orders and professionalism inside the bank, and then suddenly the ear-shattering noise and chaos of the shoot out. It's almost overwhelming on a big screen with a massive sound system. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I saw Heat in the cinema when it first came out, and you're spot on, it's absolutely beautifully shot and the sound is incredible- one of the best experiences I've ever had watching a film. The heist scene is just amazing, the sparse sounds, terse orders and professionalism inside the bank, and then suddenly the ear-shattering noise and chaos of the shoot out. It's almost overwhelming on a big screen with a massive sound system. 

Too young to have caught it at the flicks, unfortunately, but yeah can imagine the heist scene being incredible to watch in a cinema.

8 hours ago, Duff Man said:

I think Miami Vice is good; it’s flawed and someway below Heat, but it’s still a good film. Collateral is also good, but my favourites of Mann’s after Heat are Manhunter and Last of the Mohicans. 

Black Hat is supposed to be really poor, but I’ve not seen it. 

An American murder. Netflix. 

More of a feature length documentary but nonetheless gripping. The victim used Facebook to document her family's entire lives and they used a combination of that, text messages and police/court footage to tell the story. 

Absolutely harrowing with no real twists, or closure as to why it took place at all. Brilliant viewing though. 

14 minutes ago, Paul said:

I think Miami Vice is good; it’s flawed and someway below Heat, but it’s still a good film. Collateral is also good, but my favourites of Mann’s after Heat are Manhunter and Last of the Mohicans. 

Black Hat is supposed to be really poor, but I’ve not seen it. 

I'd place The Insider above Manuhunter, not sure about Last of the Mohicans as I've never seen it.

Just now, Fluter in Dakota said:

I'd place The Insider above Manuhunter, not sure about Last of the Mohicans as I've never seen it.

I’ve only seen The Insider once but I thought it was boring. I need to watch it again. 

9 hours ago, Mudface said:

I remember watching it at the flicks,but I was very disappointed in it to be honest. If it wasnt for the cast it would have been just another above average heist movie. The film score was excellent in a big cinema from what I remember.

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I remember watching it at the flicks,but I was very disappointed in it to be honest. If it wasnt for the cast it would have been just another above average heist movie. The film score was excellent in a big cinema from what I remember.

That was my take on it and never seen it since. I think I will give it another watch 

4 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

An American murder. Netflix. 

More of a feature length documentary but nonetheless gripping. The victim used Facebook to document her family's entire lives and they used a combination of that, text messages and police/court footage to tell the story. 

Absolutely harrowing with no real twists, or closure as to why it took place at all. Brilliant viewing though. 

Watched Raging Bull last night, tried before but couldn’t really get into it. I kind of enjoyed it but I could hardly hear the actors voices. Is this how it is or is just my sister in laws shitty TV. Every other channel seemed fine. 

52 minutes ago, Special K said:

I'm not victim shaming but... she was a total fucking narcissistic control freak. In no way does it excuse what the husband did but she was a pain in the arse.

Absolutely mate. Even my bird said about half way through that she is a proper divvy. 

Other than his confession about the kids (although I genuinely think he had already killed them) the bit that really hit me was the porch footage when she got dropped off. They show the same footage right at the start but you don't really know the whole back story. Seeing her with her suitcase coming to the door again at the end knowing that was that was fucking grim. 

Anyone else think the bird he was seeing was absolutely stunning until the footage of her interview were she came across like a smackhead?