You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Bombshell - Retelling of Roger Ailes' ousting at Fox News but with an emphasis on three women which is an amazing Charlize Theron as Megyn Kelly, a decent Nicole Kidman as Gretchen Carlson and Margot Robbie playing a composite character and struggling to give any meat to the bare bones of that character. I'd already see this story played out from Ailes' POV in the Loudest Voice and I preferred that, probably because it was a six part mini series. John Lithgow was decently vile as Ailes and once again the Murdochs come across as opportunistic shysters who don't believe anything they sell, they're only arsed that they sell. Not very long, but decent if a little light on detail, Theron makes it far better than it is. 6 out of 10

28 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Starship Troopers, 9/10. Forgot how good it was, satire and action intertwined every bit as well as Verhoeven's other gem, Robocop. An underrated film IMO.

I never understood why it got slated on release. It's a really arch black comedy with some great action sequences, it lampoons right wing jingoistic dross like Rambo rather then celebrating it.

12 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Alright, apart from Oliver. 

Phew...

Zodiac - Really good , really fucking good. Terrible ending though but it’s a true story so they couldn’t do much else. Mark Ruffalo is excellent in it, so is Robert Downey Jnr. Jake Gylenhall pretty much plays himself. Goose from Top Gun is in it as well. 

8/10

2 hours ago, Geoff Woade said:

Agree, it’s this film that should actually have been called ‘The Wretched’

It’s even managed to make me dislike John Wick which is an absolute banging offence. 

I’ve no idea why they made it and 3/10 is frankly laughable as a score. I give it minus 23.

Quite possibly the lowest part of 2020.

Possibly just had the number 3 in my head. Not sure what the 3 was given for, as i literally dont think their was one redeeming feature of the film.

The Painted Bird. Read the book years ago and was interested in seeing how it worked as a movie. The book detailed the suffering during war time of a solitary young Jewish boy somewhere in Eastern Europe. The film also detailed the suffering during war time of a solitary young Jewish boy somewhere in Eastern Europe.

Quite lengthy but lacking in any real story; the boy's back story is only sketched in the final couple of scenes. The scenes of suffering and humiliation come along regularly but without a more complete narrative seem to be just a trail of shock shots. 

War is hell - and it's worse for kids.

8 minutes ago, torahboy said:

The Painted Bird. Read the book years ago and was interested in seeing how it worked as a movie. The book detailed the suffering during war time of a solitary young Jewish boy somewhere in Eastern Europe. The film also detailed the suffering during war time of a solitary young Jewish boy somewhere in Eastern Europe.

Quite lengthy but lacking in any real story; the boy's back story is only sketched in the final couple of scenes. The scenes of suffering and humiliation come along regularly but without a more complete narrative seem to be just a trail of shock shots. 

War is hell - and it's worse for kids.

I read an article about this when it came out. Despite people needing to see things like this to understand the horror I don't think I could sit through it. Even the article made me feel horrible. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

I read an article about this when it came out. Despite people needing to see things like this to understand the horror I don't think I could sit through it. Even the article made me feel horrible. 

It's biggest horror was Harvey Keitel playing a priest, with a dubbed Slav language voice. 

I know what you mean about depictions of mankind's worst moments being a tough watch. I'm not inured to viloent scenes but, in the context of a movie, The Painted Bird had very little else, apart from some nice photography. It isn't bad, it's just lacking an involving story.  It's near three hours long too. 

Your instinct to swerve the piece has probably served you well.

1 hour ago, torahboy said:

It's biggest horror was Harvey Keitel playing a priest, with a dubbed Slav language voice. 

I know what you mean about depictions of mankind's worst moments being a tough watch. I'm not inured to viloent scenes but, in the context of a movie, The Painted Bird had very little else, apart from some nice photography. It isn't bad, it's just lacking an involving story.  It's near three hours long too. 

Your instinct to swerve the piece has probably served you well.

He's been cast as a priest, a preacher and Judas. Quite the filmography.

Sum Of All fears. Its on Netflix. I'd never seen it before. The ultimate 97-03 movie surely? Shit one liners/dialogue, over the top action scenes, unbelievable coincidences...…. I actually didn't mind it, enjoyable to watch projected onto the wall. Fucking shite though. 5/10. 

Actually 5.5 for Bridget Moynahan. 

On 17/09/2020 at 01:45, Redder Lurtz said:

Mission Impossible Fallout

I'd never seen any MI films until a week ago,  watched them all in a week. All very decent but Fallout is a belter. Start to finish one of the best action movies I've seen. 

Yeah the last few MI films have been really good. Everything from 3 onwards have been top notch entertainment.