You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Schindler’s List.

Was hanging Sunday so decided to have a slump in front of a long film I’d not seen before. It’s undoubtedly a cultural landmark and one that describes humanity in the modern era more vividly than almost any other artwork. 

It’s prescient given we now -again- live in times where our politics and media hammer wedges into the the perceived differences between us all to drive us further apart. This film shows us where this can end. That said there’s the usual Spielbergian tropes that underpin the narrative in amongst the raw moments. It’s the balance that makes this a great film as well as a parable.

9/10 

• Upvote 1

Animal Kingdom

An Australian movie from back in 2010, features at least 3 now recognisable actors. At the time at least two of them may have been lesser known. I have not seen any mention of this film at all, which is surprising for two reasons.

1) It's fucking BOSS

2) It has also been made into a TV series that is currently on Amazon Prime in it's third season. It also has great reviews.

If you enjoyed the first season of Bloodlines on Netflix you'll definitely enjoy this. If you enjoy tense, taut thrillers you'll definitely enjoy this. If you like good movies, you'll definitely enjoy this.

9/10

On 29/07/2020 at 15:11, cochyn said:

Schindler’s List.

Was hanging Sunday so decided to have a slump in front of a long film I’d not seen before. It’s undoubtedly a cultural landmark and one that describes humanity in the modern era more vividly than almost any other artwork. 

It’s prescient given we now -again- live in times where our politics and media hammer wedges into the the perceived differences between us all to drive us further apart. This film shows us where this can end. That said there’s the usual Spielbergian tropes that underpin the narrative in amongst the raw moments. It’s the balance that makes this a great film as well as a parable.

9/10 

I also watched this today, as amazingly I'd never actually watched it before. I did enjoy it, although it's very long at over 3 hours. Great movie and glad I watched it. Perhaps Trump and Johnson would do well to watch what a man can achieve when unexpectedly given power.

7 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Animal Kingdom

An Australian movie from back in 2010, features at least 3 now recognisable actors. At the time at least two of them may have been lesser known. I have not seen any mention of this film at all, which is surprising for two reasons.

1) It's fucking BOSS

2) It has also been made into a TV series that is currently on Amazon Prime in it's third season. It also has great reviews.

If you enjoyed the first season of Bloodlines on Netflix you'll definitely enjoy this. If you enjoy tense, taut thrillers you'll definitely enjoy this. If you like good movies, you'll definitely enjoy this.

9/10

The TV series is ace, totally different cast.

1 hour ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Animal Kingdom

1) It's fucking BOSS

9/10

I am surprised you haven't seen this before now or the 3 series based on the film but set in the US instead of Oz.

Diner - 8/10. I loved this film in my teens but haven’t seen it in at least 25 years. Anyway, I bought the Blu-ray and it’s still really good. Set in 1959, it’s about six friends in Baltimore and the way their lives revolve around the diner, talking shit and eating French fries with gravy. Great cast, great dialogue and all about nothing much. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Paul said:

Diner - 8/10. I loved this film in my teens but haven’t seen it in at least 25 years. Anyway, I bought the Blu-ray and it’s still really good. Set in 1959, it’s about six friends in Baltimore and the way their lives revolve around the diner, talking shit and eating French fries with gravy. Great cast, great dialogue and all about nothing much. 

Love that film.

The Courier - 3/10. Lamentable action film in which Olga Kurylenko tries to protect a witness from some low rent mercs sent to eliminate him. The entire budget appears to have gone into the pockets of Kurylenko and Gary Oldman. You can tell this by the fact it’s set almost entirely in a car park, and they’ve had to resort to getting the crew to draw straws to see who gets to play some lawyers in a couple of courtroom scenes. Kurylenko and Oldman dial it in, the script is laughably bad, and the other actors look like stuntmen having a day in the sun. The three points are for a couple of decent fist fights. Swerve.

On 08/07/2020 at 09:53, redheart said:

I love The Majestic...superb film and Carrey was ace in it.

Also superb in

Me, Myself and Irene

Man on the Moon (see netflix documentary also)

Not seen that, might not have watched Man on the Moon either.

No Country For Old Men - 9/10

Been rewatching a few films from the last decade or two lately, such as The Hurt Locker and Inception. I followed suit with No Country and it like the aforementioned is even better on 2nd viewing. Top, top stuff and this one is arguably the pick of the bunch.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Elite said:

No Country For Old Men - 9/10

Been rewatching a few films from the last decade or two lately, such as The Hurt Locker and Inception. I followed suit with No Country and it like the aforementioned is even better on 2nd viewing. Top, top stuff and this one is arguably the pick of the bunch.

There hasn't been as many movie baddies as good or as scary as Anton

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Elite said:

Yeah he's brilliant. Totally forgot Woody Harrelson was in it and he never fails to improve a movie.

Even Zombieland 2?

Tickled...HBO Documentary into an unusual 'sport' which leads to a very strange investigation. Very good documentary and it certainly didn't go where I expected it to go. 8/10

On 18/04/2020 at 19:48, Tony Moanero said:

It’s fantastic but The Wizard of Oz is the greatest.

On 18/04/2020 at 19:33, Bjornebye said:

Its the greatest musical of all time. 10/10 everytime. 

Team America is the greatest musical of all times

• Upvote 2