You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

5 minutes ago, ben48 said:

I’ve just watched a film ( which was ok) called Town with that Affleck bloke about a gang of robbers. They robbed Fenway Park in Boston, I thought no wonder we can’t afford to buy anyone.

Rating? 

Greyhound - deserves better than it's been receiving but I can definitely understand why some people did not like it so much. It would have perhaps been better if it had also been seen from the perspective of the subs. Boat films have been done better and certainly sub films have been done better - the two that spring to mind are 'The Hunt For Red October' and 'Crimson Tide'.

Happy to give it a strong 8.2/10.

27 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Greyhound - deserves better than it's been receiving but I can definitely understand why some people did not like it so much. It would have perhaps been better if it had also been seen from the perspective of the subs. Boat films have been done better and certainly sub films have been done better - the two that spring to mind are 'The Hunt For Red October' and 'Crimson Tide'.

Its not a submarine movie though mate. Thats maybe why its not as good as Hunt for Red October or Crimson Tide. 

The scenes where the U-Boats breach are brilliantly shot though to be fair. I wasn't too keen on the German 'wolf' captain heckling but fuck me it added to the level of suspense.  

30 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

I liked the fact it was only from the viewpoint of the Greyhound. Felt very claustrophobic. Draws the viewer on to the ship and not simply viewing it externally. Fact you never saw the wolfpack added to the sense of unease too, as they were out there in this vast ocean, in the dark, but where? Added to the cat and mouse feel. 

My issue is that there was zero character development of anyone in the film. Some characters were there and then never seen again. You could have lost a few portsides and a sterns and added a bit more dialogue with the characters. May have made me care little more. 

13 hours ago, cloggypop said:

12 Angry Men

It's a classic for a reason. 

9/10

One of, if not my favourite, movie. I was working shifts in the very early 1990s and was off on a midweek afternoon with nothing to do and this was one of those 2pm BBC movies so I thought I’d watch it with zero idea of what it was about. I was transfixed.  And I swear I just sat there for about 10 mins after just basking in the glow of such a gem. Brilliant. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Its not a submarine movie though mate. Thats maybe why its not as good as Hunt for Red October or Crimson Tide. 

The scenes where the U-Boats breach are brilliantly shot though to be fair. I wasn't too keen on the German 'wolf' captain heckling but fuck me it added to the level of suspense.  

The tension outside the boat was immense, not knowing where the subs were etc but that's the same problems that subs have with each other when at war. The CGI although great is obvious that it's CGI and it does take away from the experience slightly. What the other movies had was tension aboard the vessel - especially Crimson Tide with the CO and XO having a right old barney. This just didn't have that, although there were a couple of situations that if expanded on definitely would have improved it. Especially the implied fight between the crew, that could have been expanded on and become part of an onboard tension.

Like I say, really good - it just could have been better. For a Tom Hanks writers' debut though, I doff the cap.

13 hours ago, Qwikage said:

As good as it gets. 9.5/10.

Nicholson at his versatile best and Helen Hunt being naturally beautiful.

9.5/10 - that movie is at good as it gets? Yet 10/10 was just marvellous? Something wrong with the rating system here folks.

Just now, Fluter in Dakota said:

The tension outside the boat was immense, not knowing where the subs were etc but that's the same problems that subs have with each other when at war. The CGI although great is obvious that it's CGI and it does take away from the experience slightly. What the other movies had was tension aboard the vessel - especially Crimson Tide with the CO and XO having a right old barney. This just didn't have that, although there were a couple of situations that if expanded on definitely would have improved it. Especially the implied fight between the crew, that could have been expanded on and become part of an onboard tension.

Like I say, really good - it just could have been better. For a Tom Hanks writers' debut though, I doff the cap.

Fair enough mate. Personally I think he got it right. I'm glad it didn't keep going back to his bird in the States looking lovingly at a picture of him or cutting to the war in Europe and his commanders frantically looking for signs they have made it. As has been said, it was very claustrophobic. Imagine that in the pictures. 

I can't believe I've said I would prefer less scenes with Elisabeth Shue. I'm going to confession.