You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

I’ve been listening to a film podcast called The Rewatchables recently and they had a run of three films selected by Quentin Tarantino to rewatch and chat about with them. I’ve subsequently rewatched all three myself to varying effects. 

The King Of New York - 9/10. I always loved this (Schoolly D, Walken, Fishburn, Snipes, Caruso, etc); it’s a real old favourite. However this is the first time I’ve rewatched it in years and still stands right up. And flips gangster movies quite a lot, into the bargain. 

Unstoppable - 8.5/10. I love Denzel and I love Tony Scott films and while I enjoyed this first time round, I hadn’t appreciated just how taut it is. It’s basically a monster movie with a train as the monster. It’s ace. 

Dunkirk - 10/10. I was dubious about this after first viewing and only really appreciated it after my second watch. However, it got better again after this third and it is genuinely a masterpiece, in my view. I think the narrative is so subtly revealed through editing and sound that it can feel a bit alien at first, but it seeps in to the brain. Also though, it’s stunning in a cinematography sense. An absolutely amazing film. Can’t remember seeing a grower of this scale before, ever in my life. 

13 minutes ago, Paul said:

Dunkirk - 10/10. I was dubious about this after first viewing and only really appreciated it after my second watch. However, it got better again after this third and it is genuinely a masterpiece, in my view. I think the narrative is so subtly revealed through editing and sound that it can feel a bit alien at first, but it seeps in to the brain. Also though, it’s stunning in a cinematography sense. An absolutely amazing film. Can’t remember seeing a grower of this scale before, ever in my life. 

You haven't seen the Salma Hayek scene in Dusk Till Dawn then 

• Upvote 2

Hereditary. 9/10.

I'm a horror film fan so have seen most things, but fucking hell this is had me holding my breath a few times. Definitely more than just your average horror flick. Had my head in my hands at one point.

Well worth a watch.

Toni Colette is brilliant in it. 

Miami Vice - 9/10. This is one seriously underrated film. It looks incredible, it’s gritty as fuck and the casting is ace. The framing is amazing with loads of ever so slightly low angle shots that leave the Miami skies filling half the frame. If it wasn’t for the mumbly dialogue and the very occasional moment that ever so slightly hints at cheese (mainly the tunes), it’d be perfect. 

2 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Hereditary. 9/10.

I'm a horror film fan so have seen most things, but fucking hell this is had me holding my breath a few times. Definitely more than just your average horror flick. Had my head in my hands at one point.

Well worth a watch.

Great film, that. Second time I watched it on a brighter, higher defined screen and some the stuff you see in the background is definitely eye-catching. At one point, I noticed Toni Collette's character crawling across the ceiling when this hadn't become part of the film.

I enjoyed it so much that I had to watch the director's next film, Midsommar. I really enjoyed that too.

1 minute ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Great film, that. Second time I watched it on a brighter, higher defined screen and some the stuff you see in the background is definitely eye-catching. At one point, I noticed Toni Collette's character crawling across the ceiling when this hadn't become part of the film.

I'm not sure I could watch it again so soon, I'm suffering from PTSD after the first watch.

I'll rewatch it next year with a new telly! 

4 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Hereditary. 9/10.

Well worth a watch.

Toni Colette is a phenomenal actress, the best weeper in Hollywood.

Last Blood - 0/10. Ridiculous, cliched plot and levels of brutality which make it seem almost like a parody. The first film in this series was superb: a great action film with something to say about war and men who fight. This though is just awful. It fetishises an unprecedented level of bloody violence for absolutely no reason. Risible. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Paul said:

Last Blood - 0/10. Ridiculous, cliched plot and levels of brutality which make it seem almost like a parody. The first film in this series was superb: a great action film with something to say about war and men who fight. This though is just awful. It fetishises an unprecedented level of bloody violence for absolutely no reason. Risible. 

His Home Alone set up was hilarious. Surprised the wet bandits didn't turn up.

Psycho - The 90's remake with Vince Vaughan. 

I should have known. The mrs did warn me before we put it on that it looks like it might be shit. 1 room at the Bates Motel out of 12. I'm only giving the 1 because Anne Heche is quite fit and you pretty much see her fanny. If its even her

Marion's+Butt.jpg

14 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Psycho - The 90's remake with Vince Vaughan. 

I should have known. The mrs did warn me before we put it on that it looks like it might be shit. 1 room at the Bates Motel out of 12. I'm only giving the 1 because Anne Heche is quite fit and you pretty much see her fanny. If its even her

Marion's+Butt.jpg

It's wrong but first thing I thought of when I saw that picture was Stuart Lubbock.

• Upvote 1