You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

1 hour ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Sonic the Hedgehog is much better than I would have expected, comfortably the best video game to movie adaptation and daft fun for the family. As a family/kids film, 8.5/10.

Yeah it's very good. Jim Carrey played it perfectly, as he can overdo the wackiness sometimes.

16 minutes ago, Elite said:

Yeah it's very good. Jim Carrey played it perfectly, as he can overdo the wackiness sometimes.

He was great in this, was thinking maybe he's now suited to being in shows for kids and family. He's now in a show called Kidding, which I'm going to take a look at as it's now on it's second series. 

20 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

He was great in this, was thinking maybe he's now suited to being in shows for kids and family. He's now in a show called Kidding, which I'm going to take a look at as it's now on it's second series. 

Most of his films are family comedies apart from Dumb and Dumber. He's very good in serious roles as well such as The Number 23 and The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

24 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Yeah, Kidding is not for kids and family. He's good in it to be fair.

8 minutes ago, Elite said:

Most of his films are family comedies apart from Dumb and Dumber. He's very good in serious roles as well such as The Number 23 and The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

When he gets the right role he is immense - The Cable Guy was brilliant too. But his adult films like Kick Ass 2 seem like they are misguided. Interesting that since Sonic he has not been in any other movie roles, he has none in pre or post production - he just seems to have been completely cast aside. He'll do well to get back.

The Hunt

Silly social satire with a few good moments. 6 of 10

Bacurau

Similar to "The Hunt", thematically, but a much deeper movie. 8 of 10

The Prospect

Sci-fi that doesn't break any new ground, but is a very enjoyable watch. It would have been great to see in a theatre. 7 of 10

The Outpost

A bit like "Zulu" I suppose: cut off group of (US) soldiers against vast hordes of (Taliban) attackers. Based on a true story. Some excellent camerawork. 7 of 10

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, polymerpunkah said:

The Hunt

Bacurau

The Prospect

Sci-fi that doesn't break any new ground, but is a very enjoyable watch. It would have been great to see in a theatre. 7 of 10

The Outpost

A bit like "Zulu" I suppose: cut off group of (US) soldiers against vast hordes of (Taliban) attackers. Based on a true story. Some excellent camerawork. 7 of 10

Thanks, I like the sound of Bacurau and The Outpost looks like a good Friday night movie.

3 hours ago, polymerpunkah said:

The Hunt

Bacurau

The Prospect

The Outpost

Bacarau is great - bonkers and takes handbrake turns - but very well made. 

I like the sound of The Prospect. 

On 06/07/2020 at 22:12, Fluter in Dakota said:

When he gets the right role he is immense - The Cable Guy was brilliant too. But his adult films like Kick Ass 2 seem like they are misguided. Interesting that since Sonic he has not been in any other movie roles, he has none in pre or post production - he just seems to have been completely cast aside. He'll do well to get back.

I love The Majestic...superb film and Carrey was ace in it.

Also superb in

Me, Myself and Irene

Man on the Moon (see netflix documentary also)

3 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Bacarau is great - bonkers and takes handbrake turns - but very well made. 

I watched it after reading a number of positive reviews. Ended up feeling disappointed. I couldn't connect with any of the characters, thought the plot was shallow and humourless, I was curious during the first half as the story was building, but the bonkers handbrake turn you mention lost me. Thought it felt like an amateur movie with decent production/money thrown at it.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, ElishaScottBC said:

I watched it after reading a number of positive reviews. Ended up feeling disappointed. I couldn't connect with any of the characters, thought the plot was shallow and humourless, I was curious during the first half as the story was building, but the bonkers handbrake turn you mention lost me. Thought it felt like an amateur movie with decent production/money thrown at it.

This film is definitely dividing opinion as others have said the same thing, it seems to have a similar polarising effect as Arrival and Ad Astra which incidentally I also enjoyed.

American Factory, netflix documentary on the practices of a factory opened in Ohio by a Chinese glass making company. There is some dark side of the force shit that goes on in profit making companies from around the world. Can't rate it as it's more informative than entertaining.

Watched Back to the Future last night with the kids.

Disgraceful stereotyping of Arabs as loony terrorists, especially with what we know about the US’s war mongering.

Promotes violence as a way for someone to be a “real man“. 

Portrays a woman getting violently sexually assaulted, then next minute she is fine as she just pulls herself together and is happy to kiss the next man to come along.

Then horrendous racism again as it promotes the idea that Chuck Berry got his ideas from a middle class white man. God forbid a black man could invent rock n roll.

Should be removed from all streaming platforms.

0/10

Watching Part 2 next.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, M_B said:

Greyhound - 4\10 - Usual Hollywood shite when it comes to the Battle of the Atlantic and submarines, elevated by the genius of Tom Hanks. 4 out of 10 is generous.

I think 4 is harsh as I thought there was genuine tension throughout. However it’s very flawed and that lies in the writing, for me. Tom Hanks wrote it himself and it comes across as a bit of a vanity project, in my opinion. Every single character apart from his is one dimensional, with the exception of Stephen Graham‘s character who manages maybe 1 and a half dimensions.

Some of the little attempts to hint at the captain’s character feel ham-fisted. The not eating thing is just ridiculous after about the sixth attempt. The constant suspicion of the sailors with their first crossing Captain is equally ridiculous in the context of the cheers from the merchant sailors at the end. 

That all said, the action scenes are decent and, as they dominate the film, mitigate to some extent the poor quality writing of character and dialogue. 6/10 for me. 

I hadn't realized that he'd written it himself.  Thanks for that.

Yes I'd agree with the lack of character depth. It felt like it was attempting to be a Saving Private Ryan at sea, but failed badly.

4 might be harsh - I'm a bit of a WW2 nerd so anything that isn't historically accurate leaves me uncomfortable. It could have been brilliant - the story of a convoy crossing the Atlantic in 42, but sadly it missed the opportunity.

Square One - 8.5/10

An investigation into the 1993 case in which Michael Jackson was accused of sexually abusing a 13 year old boy, which uncovers and discusses old and new evidence of all cases in chronological order to build a picture of all cases against him. There is so much to this case and this documentary uses a number of never before seen and heard pieces of footage to show the full outcome of the first case and how it effected other cases since. Very informative.

The Old Guard - 4/10. Netflix’s run of film duds continues. Slow-moving and unimaginative, and blatantly set up for a sequel we don’t need. Theron must’ve been paid a bundle to have accepted this gig.

Which leads us to....

Bleach - 0/10. Another Netflix Film via WB Japan. Something about soul reaper’s battling hollow spirits. So incredibly MTV I fell asleep after 20 minutes. Utter shite.

I also watched a Netflix original last night, the Will Ferrell Eurovision film. Standard Ferrell fare, idiot male learns some life lessons, one or two funny bits, probably some Eurovision in jokes that I didn’t get.

Rachel McAdams is not that great a comedy actress, but she was looking lovely in this and frankly not believable as the same age as Ferrell. Iceland also looked beautiful.

Play Ja ja ding dong!

5/10

10 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I also watched a Netflix original last night, the Will Ferrell Eurovision film. Standard Ferrell fare, idiot male learns some life lessons, one or two funny bits, probably some Eurovision in jokes that I didn’t get.

Rachel McAdams is not that great a comedy actress, but she was looking lovely in this and frankly not believable as the same age as Ferrell. Iceland also looked beautiful.

Play Ja ja ding dong!

5/10

Thought Edinburgh looked great in it too.

Shite film though.

The Old Guard - 6/10. A good idea sloppily executed. The pacing, casting and dialogue are all weak, but that doesn’t detract from the fact that it had/has real potential as a concept. I wonder if they’ll turn it into a TV show. Mind you they’d probably fuck that up too. 

4 minutes ago, Paul said:

The Old Guard - 6/10. A good idea sloppily executed. The pacing, casting and dialogue are all weak, but that doesn’t detract from the fact that it had/has real potential as a concept. I wonder if they’ll turn it into a TV show. Mind you they’d probably fuck that up too. 

Reading up, it was adapted for film by the guy who wrote the graphic novel. There's a good idea in there but you can't help but think it could have been better if someone with a filmic background wrote the screenplay.

• Upvote 1