You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

I haven’t bothered with The Irishman because of its length either. I just think it’s self-indulgent by Scorsese. In most cases the creative process with cinema (and telly, actually) benefits from having limits. Tarantino is a case in point. His early work is amazing but his work gets steadily duller throughout his career. His talent is still clear but he’s doing it to please himself rather than the audience. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

A History Of Violence - 7/10. This is the first film I saw Viggo Mortensen in, I think, but it’s been a while since I saw this. He’s excellent as the ordinary family man whose past comes looking for him and forces his former self to come out of hiding. 

There are a few bits that feel slightly linking or jarring and I wonder if it’s because Cronenberg was still finding his feet with more mainstream fare at this point. Either way, it works well as a fairy tale of a violent man who reinvents himself. 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

I haven’t bothered with The Irishman because of its length either. I just think it’s self-indulgent by Scorsese. In most cases the creative process with cinema (and telly, actually) benefits from having limits. Tarantino is a case in point. His early work is amazing but his work gets steadily duller throughout his career. His talent is still clear but he’s doing it to please himself rather than the audience. 

This film is excellent and a real throwback to his earlier stuff. The use of CGI is some of it's strengths too.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I can't understand the 1917 hate on here. It was spectacular considering how it was filmed. 

I wanted to like it but just found it a bit boring, gutting really as I bought into the hype prior to watching it.

7 hours ago, Paul said:

A History Of Violence - 7/10. This is the first film I saw Viggo Mortensen in, I think, but it’s been a while since I saw this. He’s excellent as the ordinary family man whose past comes looking for him and forces his former self to come out of hiding. 

There are a few bits that feel slightly linking or jarring and I wonder if it’s because Cronenberg was still finding his feet with more mainstream fare at this point. Either way, it works well as a fairy tale of a violent man who reinvents himself. 

I saw him in Green Book last night, very nice film.

30 minutes ago, Paul said:

Anyone watched Da 5 Bloods yet or The King Of Staten Island? Both high on my “to watch” list. 

I watched Da 5 Bloods last night. It’s ok. Not as good as I was expecting. Just has that made for TV feel about it. Some of the plot turns feel a bit contrived. If you’re expecting a Spike Lee masterpiece like Do The Right Thing then it’s not even close. Be interested to hear what other people think because by all accounts it’s had pretty good reviews.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

A film maker should always try to please him or herself first rather than the audience.

19 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Art > product

Maybe if it’s an art film for an exhibit, but cinema is storytelling, and like any storytelling medium (written, verbal, theatrical, visual, or song) if you can’t find a way to engage and make it interesting to the audience then, no matter how technically clever it is, you haven’t done your job. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Maybe if it’s an art film for an exhibit, but cinema is storytelling, and like any storytelling medium (written, verbal, theatrical, visual, or song) if you can’t find a way to engage and make it interesting to the audience then, no matter how technically clever it is, you haven’t done your job. 

You listen to Radio 1

12 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

"Eastern Promises" another good film starring Mortensen.

Is he the most under-rated actor around?

One great film after another, big and small.

Definitely a great actor but the most under-rated?

Mads Mikkelson, Casey Afleck and Sam Rockwell say hello.

• Upvote 1