You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Bacurau

Brazilian/American co-production. I don't know what to say about it, only that it's mostly in Spanish and I got a version on Fen/Kodi with subs. The blurb on the movie says a mysterious UFO type entity enters a secluded village.

Beautifully shot and awesome sound to match,.It's absolutely brilliant and if you're looking for a world cinema mystery movie then it's well worth a look.

8.8/10.

Just watched Fallen again. My favourite Denzel Washington movie. Supernatural crime film where Denzel catches a serial killer who is executed and then the murders start up again. 

Great support cast too, John Goodman, James Gandolfini, Donald Sutherland. Very underrated film. 8/10. On Amazon Prime if anyone fancies it. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Just watched Fallen again. My favourite Denzel Washington movie. Supernatural crime film where Denzel catches a serial killer who is executed and then the murders start up again. 

Great support cast too, John Goodman, James Gandolfini, Donald Sutherland. Very underrated film. 8/10. On Amazon Prime if anyone fancies it. 

Great film, watched it loads of times, very underrated.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Paul said:

The Vast Of Night - 8/10. Cracking little indie B movie type thing about creepy goings on in 50s New Mexico. This director is going to be a serious talent. I wouldn’t bet against Feige tapping him up for a MCU movie as this has loads of the elements you’d want. 

Agreed, I loved this. The opening act, with its Sorkin-esque dialogue and the long tracking shots was brilliant. Loved it, 8/10.

I have to admit to becoming a bit of a film luddite over the last few years. I used to live with a filmmaker and he got me really in to diverse cinema and we'd go to the local indie places in town. Now that TV series dominate our home watching and we rely more and more on streaming I've become lazy and whilst I love "big" cinema experiences, this film reminded me of something I used to really enjoy. I'm now thinking of ditching Netflix and Now TV in favour of things like Curzon Home Cinema. It's the same with Spotify - I'm torn between its convenience and the fact that I get far more enjoyment out of the equivalent spend on a physical record.

10 hours ago, Paul said:

From Dusk Til Dawn is ace!

Double agreed!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Some things, pal, you shouldn’t know. And if you know, you should never, ever, tell.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

I saw that by chance one night a few years ago with no idea what it was about.

Really good film and seems to be massively overlooked.

The stuff like the scenes where he's being chased in the crowd are really interesting.

And The Band Played On.

A 1993 TV film made as a docu-drama about the emergence of AIDS in the late 1970s. Star-studded with a few surprise appearances, well put together and maybe even shows that lessons from that time seen to be very easy to repeat.

8.5/10.

Edit: I think it has a few scenes added after the year of release to commemorate the lives of some people taken by the virus up to around 1999.

2 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Just watched Beverly Hills Cop with my thirteen year old. 

He gave it a solid 7/10.

Controversial enough to start a protest over.

18 hours ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

Bacurau

Brazilian/American co-production. I don't know what to say about it, only that it's mostly in Spanish and I got a version on Fen/Kodi with subs. The blurb on the movie says a mysterious UFO type entity enters a secluded village.

Beautifully shot and awesome sound to match,.It's absolutely brilliant and if you're looking for a world cinema mystery movie then it's well worth a look.

8.8/10.

Just watched this purely based on your review mate. Loved the vibe; hokey sci-fi meets spaghetti western mash up, but it jost lost me somewhere along the way I'm afraid.

5.5/10

20 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Agree on this, loved the camera work, sound production and the story was very twilight zone/50's scifi. 

Totally agree on the use of camera. Do you reckon he was using a drone for the very long one shot where the camera floats just above to the ground? It’s either that or a steadicam, but it’s tricky as fuck as it goes through a crowded doorway and through a narrow window. I loved the 50s Twilight Zone framing too. Clever as fuck. And the 50s sensibilities and dialogue. Cracking film.  

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Totally agree on the use of camera. Do you reckon he was using a drone for the very long one shot where the camera floats just above to the ground? It’s either that or a steadicam, but it’s tricky as fuck as it goes through a crowded doorway and through a narrow window. I loved the 50s Twilight Zone framing too. Clever as fuck. And the 50s sensibilities and dialogue. Cracking film.  

I was wondering whilst watching that shot, i reckon it was too smooth and steady for a drone, a was thinking a camera on a rail but you can see the ground in the fore shot so dont know. It's really well done whatever it was.

Also like the long shot of Fay calling everyone via the switchboard, nine minutes long I think it was.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

The Vast of Night. 8/10

Watched this last night after seeing it mentioned on here. It reminded me of some other film but I can't remember what one.

Night of the Comet? The Signal?

I haven’t seen a The Vast of Night, only read the précis after Paul recommended it.

23 hours ago, Paul said:

https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2020/06/how-the-vast-of-night-pulled-off-its-incredible-4-minute-take/

19 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

The Irishman 6/10

Could have made it 90 minutes shorter and it wouldn't have made any difference to the film.

That's funny because I've wanted to watch it but always seen it and thought "I dont have nearly 4 fucking hours to sit through this" so haven't seen it yet. I bet I'm not alone.

1 hour ago, skend04 said:

Bad Boys for Life

The initial trailer for this looked absolutely shocking but the film was rather flipping good. A lot better than the second and probably just below the first. Great fun.

8/10

Glad to hear it as the first was a decent funny action film ala rush hour, but the second was dogshit on toast.

"RIGHT NEXT TO THE MIIINNNE"

*CRINGE*

1 minute ago, Aw Geez said:

That's funny because I've wanted to watch it but always seen it and thought "I dont have nearly 4 fucking hours to sit through this" so haven't seen it yet. I bet I'm not alone.

I'm glad I didn't watch it in the pictures. Unless they still have intermissions, and more than one. 

Fallen- 4/10.

Massively disappointed in this given the recommendations earlier in the thread. An absolutely stellar cast, but a dull story that wasn't in the slightest bit scary or even tense. I know it's a fairly old film, but the interactions between the cops were cliched and rather weird and the cinematography was bizarre, like a video game with too much bloom. Maybe they were going for an unsettling effect, but it really didn't work, it just looked naff.

The film as a whole could have been a throwaway Buffy episode, aside from the ending which would have been knocked back as being obvious and trite. Not a surprise that it was a bomb at the box office.