You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

13 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Not a fan of horror films, I think most of them are utter shite tbh. Much prefer the old stuff though, The Exorcist, The Omen, Alien, all brilliant films.

Of the more modern horror films, the only one which truly made a mark was Martyrs, which I think is fantastic.

I've tried watching Martyrs on Typhoon TV but it's all in French. Can you get subtitles on Typhoon TV? Edit: I've just seen there's an option to play a video with subtitles. Doh.

Nowhere Boy - John Lennon biopic with Aaron Taylor-Johnson as Lennon. Decent but not groundbreaking and the only real conclusions I drew from it was that Lennon seemed a bit of an arse and that his childhood has some upset but nothing that was really dramatic in comparison to other music biopics. Didn't really give much insight into the man's love for music but it's a decent way to pass the time. 6 out of 10

Haywire - 4/10

Soderbergh tries his hand at an action movie and fails miserably. It's such a weird film, decent, gritty action set pieces set to what seem like jazzy outtakes from David Arnold's Ocean's Eleven music.

The cast includes Ewan McGregor, Michael Fassbender, Michael Douglas and Antonio Banderas. Why did they agree to it???

Two old westerns..

The Big Country - brilliant, a classic. Is the fight scene with endless prairie as a backdrop unique or has it been used in a film since?

The Searchers - a good film but I can't appreciate it as much as some do. Both this and The Big Country are from the mid-fifties but The Searchers feels like a much older film.

6 hours ago, Special K said:

Haywire - 4/10

Soderbergh tries his hand at an action movie and fails miserably. It's such a weird film, decent, gritty action set pieces set to what seem like jazzy outtakes from David Arnold's Ocean's Eleven music.

The cast includes Ewan McGregor, Michael Fassbender, Michael Douglas and Antonio Banderas. Why did they agree to it???

I really like this film; it’s ace. They agreed to it because it’s Soderbergh, I guess. 

Lincoln - Spielberg film about the last few months of Abraham Lincoln's life and the events leading up to the vote on the 13th Amendment. It's a slow, stately film that gives due reverence to the man that Lincoln was and the role he holds in American history but how interesting you find this will be down to how interesting you find American history and politics. Daniel Day Lewis is unsurprisingly good as Lincoln, he just about avoids falling into the usual Lincoln clichés, and the rest of the cast is also filled out with quality character actors and Tommy Lee Jones being Tommy Lee Jones. It's not gripping, it's sometimes bogged down with political dialogue and it doesn't cover much of Lincoln's life but it is interesting if you have an interest in Lincoln, the abolition of slavery in the U.S. and the end of the Civil War. How much you enjoy will depend on that. 6.5 out of 10

On 06/05/2020 at 08:09, Bjornebye said:

Four Brothers 

Oh my word. Couldn’t tell if it was a spoof movie or even funnier, taking itself seriously. Whalberg at his absolute finest awful. 2/10 

Watched this last night, what the fuck was it?

Possibly the most bizarre film I've ever seen, so much so that I had to keep watching it right to the end.

Utter mince.

The Hunt- 7/10. Good fun, very black comedy with some heavy handed satire thrown in. You can see why it stirred up  a fuss in the US, neither 'side' can give an inch. It misses the mark though, as the actual 'elites' are the likes of the Walton family or the Koch brothers rather than Silicon Valley liberals. Gets an extra mark for Betty Gilpin's stupendous norkage.

Tucker and Dale vs Evil- 8/10. I really enjoyed this. Another 'political' black comedy with plenty of gore, but also a lot of warmth rather than the archness of The Hunt. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

The Hunt- 7/10. Good fun, very black comedy with some heavy handed satire thrown in. You can see why it stirred up  a fuss in the US, neither 'side' can give an inch. It misses the mark though, as the actual 'elites' are the likes of the Walton family or the Koch brothers rather than Silicon Valley liberals. Gets an extra mark for Betty Gilpin's stupendous norkage.

Tucker and Dale vs Evil- 8/10. I really enjoyed this. Another 'political' black comedy with plenty of gore, but also a lot of warmth rather than the archness of The Hunt. 

Tucker and Dale is such a great movie. It's probably a cult classic now but it deserves to be seen by a wider audience than it has.

4 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Tucker and Dale is such a great movie. It's probably a cult classic now but it deserves to be seen by a wider audience than it has.

Yeah, I had a quick look on Wikipedia and it was almost straight to video, from the looks of it, it barely recouped its production costs. I hadn't even heard of it till a friend recommended it after watching The Hunt.

3 hours ago, Mook said:

Watched this last night, what the fuck was it?

Possibly the most bizarre film I've ever seen, so much so that I had to keep watching it right to the end.

Utter mince.

Hahaha I know mate. Just weird. But watchable weird. But shite. 

12 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

"The Wolf of Wall Street"

Well-crafted, and Di Caprio is an excellent actor, but it didn't do it for me.

Stock market "Goodfellas", obviously, but sex and drugs appear to make a poor substitute for violence and murder.

Yeah but its gets 8 points out of 10 right off the bat for this

tumblr_p9lu4nzfeo1tqoojmo4_r1_500.gifv

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mudface said:

Dont bother with the Squeaquel, mate, its rubbish.