You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

20 hours ago, Mook said:

Who was it that mentioned Tarantino had a foot fetish?

I'm watching Once upon a time in Holywood & the boy has a serious problem.

The feet are better than the film as well, just his usual 'all style no substance' pish.

Only everyone who has ever seen any of his films mate. 

Mook - "wiggle your big toe" 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Have obviously been watching a lot of movies recently, especially catching-up on classics I'd avoided for years.

EG, 

Taxi Driver.

What a pile of shit that film is. Ok, not a pile of shit, but christ, age has been kind to that film, it still appears in the best 100 films lists all the time, I cannot see why.

Bollocks!

It’s fucking brilliant!

Why, in your opinion, hasn’t time been kind to it? 

4 hours ago, Mook said:

Watched The Shining last night & it just cemented my initial opinions from years ago, that King books don't make great films & neither does Stanley Kubrik.

It's tense enough & Nicholson puts in a great performance but it's all just a bit empty for me.

I love The Shining.

I know you’re not a fan of either but The Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me are great films. Secret Window is a favourite of mine, too. Very underrated in my opinion.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I love The Shining.

I know you’re not a fan of either but The Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me are great films. Secret Window is a favourite of mine, too. Very underrated in my opinion.

I like The Shawshank Redemption, I forgot that was Stephen King. It's a wee bit overrated but a good film.

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

I love The Shining.

Never heard of the cunt. Is that really a film?

Edit: is this it?

thumb_f5t7Df50xjniLlE80ty2dYsZBqI.jpg

18 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Yeah. John Turturro (Barton Fink) is in it.

Just started watching it, interesting start.

10 minutes ago, John102 said:

Oddly enough i started watching that last night. Turned off after about 40 mins as wasn't particularly impressed and was fairly obvious were it was heading.

I'm at 50 minutes and it's taken a handbrake turn. 

Reading a boxing article on The Athletic about a 34 year old journeyman called Lionell Thompson who had a big win a few months ago. The main quirk of the story is that he loves and is that inspired by the 2014 Denzel Washington film, The Equalizer, that he saw it on the big screen dozens of times and since buying the dvd on its release has watched it at least once a day ever since and twice a day when he is in camp. Reckons it is getting on for 2000 viewings.

I used to love the Edward Woodward tv series , and my late mum made me laugh once, asking what night ' The Marmalizer' was on.

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

Yeah. John Turturro (Barton Fink) is in it.

6/10. Good start, good middle, not a great ending if I'm honest. I hoped it wouldn't go there. There are far worse Stephen King adaptations (Pet Semetary is way down the list) out there, there are far better too. This is somewhere in the middle - 1408 is definitely a superior 'underrated' Stephen King adaptation.

A Hidden Life. True story set in WW2 Austria based on letters and writings of Franz Jägerstätter. Nearly 3 hours long, it's cinematography and acting is top drawer. 8.6/10.

Spotlight

Calvary

Enjoyed them both. 

I think the former could have dealt with the victims a bit more, to give the movie more emotional heft, but I still think it a good story, and an excellent example of the importance of the press (however belatedly).

I didn't know what the latter was about going in. I can't decide if it's a condemnation of Catholicism, or humanity as a whole.