You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Who was it that mentioned Tarantino had a foot fetish?

I'm watching Once upon a time in Holywood & the boy has a serious problem.

The feet are better than the film as well, just his usual 'all style no substance' pish.

On 26/04/2020 at 22:15, VladimirIlyich said:

Watched ten minutes and couldn't take any more. I really find it almost impossible to watch that type of stuff. Its so difficult,but refreshing to find things without needless explosions and OTT gun battles. 

You were right to bail out after ten minutes because this is one shit film. Like superhero movies etc....

as long as people lap this shit up then I guess we're stuck with it for some time

22 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Watched this last night after seeing this post.

Had a made for TV feel about it but still a great film. It covers a lot more bases than just the reporters fight to not only get to the truth, but to get it out there.

As you say it's crazy the power religion can hold over it's community but also the community not wanting to believe the evidence because of the emotional attachment they have.

Well worth watching.

What I also liked about it was clearly the paper itself had been part of the complicity in the past, and the film didn’t shy away from that.

• Upvote 1

Once upon a time in Hollywood - Tarantino needs an editor and a script editor. No story to speak of, just a rambling homage to the usual Tarantino staples and what seems to be a wish fulfilment ending. Di Caprio had some funny moments but Brad Pitt's character just seemed to be up on-screen to be as cool as he could possibly try to be. Margot Robbie has nothing to do but shout-out to Damian Lewis for doing a passable Steve McQueen impression. It was better than the Hateful Eight but it seems every movie Tarantino has made since Jackie Brown has been overlong and self-indulgent. 6 out of 10

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedKnight said:

Once upon a time in Hollywood - Tarantino needs an editor and a script editor. No story to speak of, just a rambling homage to the usual Tarantino staples and what seems to be a wish fulfilment ending. Di Caprio had some funny moments but Brad Pitt's character just seemed to be up on-screen to be as cool as he could possibly try to be. Margot Robbie has nothing to do but shout-out to Damian Lewis for doing a passable Steve McQueen impression. It was better than the Hateful Eight but it seems every movie Tarantino has made since Jackie Brown has been overlong and self-indulgent. 6 out of 10

I found it entertaining but hugely self indulgent too. I quite liked the Hateful Eight though.

15 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

Agree with nearly all of that except for your final point where I think it applies to all his post-JB films except Kill Bill Vol 1 which I think is great. Vol 2 is still enjoyable as it completes the story, but it has loads of fat on it. After that though, everything is, as you say, overlong and self indulgent. 

On 19/04/2020 at 20:51, Carvalho Diablo said:

Watched the BBC Watergate documentary again earlier, over 4 hours long but it flies by. Riveting.

9/10

Finally got round to watching this last night and it was well worth it. 

The utter fucking mess they got themselves into was just unreal. They just kept digging the hole they were in with more and more people jumping and being dragged in along the way. 

Just imagine the shit that happens/happened without us ever knowing. 

Nixon reminded me of a watered down version of Trump, and how the fuck that Gordon Liddy got to the position he did, I'll never know.

Although it's 4 hours long, it's 4 one hour episodes stitched together, so if anyone is thinking of watching it, it'd be easy to do in segments if you dont fancy the long haul. 

• Upvote 2

Training Day - haven’t watched this for years but was reminded of it by a TAA tweet yesterday. So I put it on for the four of us last night and it’s great. I’d forgotten nearly all of the plot and I therefore loved again all the twists and despicable turns Denzel’s brilliantly vile dirty cop takes. Ethan Hawke is great as the rookie too: entirely believable as a wide-eyed idealist who is basically bullied into breaking the law to uphold the law. The fact it takes place over his first day on the job works too; it never feels contrived as you learn about the deadline just as you first start to question that conceit.  The kids loved it too, which has often been a challenge for thrillers and dramas rather than more accessible action/comedy fare. They’re clearly growing up! 8.5/10. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

36 minutes ago, Paul said:

Agree with nearly all of that except for your final point where I think it applies to all his post-JB films except Kill Bill Vol 1 which I think is great. Vol 2 is still enjoyable as it completes the story, but it has loads of fat on it. After that though, everything is, as you say, overlong and self indulgent. 

I've been saying this for quite a long time. I genuinely think if his name wasn't attached to his last few films that they would absolutely get slated. Proper Emperors Clothes Syndrome kind of deal going on with his work now.

Don't think it's any coincidence that it's been a continuing trend since Sally Menke died, she edited everything up to and including Inglorious. Since then he's just been producing overlong self indulgent bullshit, although I'd also argue that's partially the case with Inglorious, it has some great set pieces like the scene with Christoph Waltz and the farmer in the cabin at the start but no real thread through the rest of the film.

41 minutes ago, Paul said:

Training Day - haven’t watched this for years but was reminded of it by a TAA tweet yesterday. So I put it on for the four of us last night and it’s great. I’d forgotten nearly all of the plot and I therefore loved again all the twists and despicable turns Denzel’s brilliantly vile dirty cop takes. Ethan Hawke is great as the rookie too: entirely believable as a wide-eyed idealist who is basically bullied into breaking the law to uphold the law. The fact it takes place over his first day on the job works too; it never feels contrived as you learn about the deadline just as you first start to question that conceit.  The kids loved it too, which has often been a challenge for thrillers and dramas rather than more accessible action/comedy fare. They’re clearly growing up! 8.5/10. 

It gets better on repeat viewings, I absolutely love it.

Amazon own film called Champs, on Prime.

Features bits of Tyson, Holyfield and Bernard Hopkins’ lives and careers with archive footage, retrospective interviews and the weird, unnecessary tendency to also portray snippets of their younger selves with actors. It’s more generally about the allure of boxing as a route out of poverty and the lessons it’s self-discipline etc teaches people. Nothing new but pretty watchable.

7 tigers-on-a-lead out of ten.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Anubis said:

What I also liked about it was clearly the paper itself had been part of the complicity in the past, and the film didn’t shy away from that.

I re-watched Spotlight last night based on the recommendations in here. Absolutely riveting- the shock on the journalists' faces when Sipe tells them that 13 priests involved is way too low is really chilling, as is the priest's attempts at justifying his abuse when he gets door-stepped by McAdams. 9/10, fantastic acting.

I wonder if that sort of journalism exists any more, now that any hack with a laptop can spin up a blog and write any old bullshit and get a following.

• Upvote 2

Ready Player One - 7.5/10. When I first saw the trailer for it I dismissed it as a film for the gamer community because that’s how the trailer appeared to present it. I’ve never been into video games and although I recognise some of the classic characters, much of it has passed me by. So when I sat down to watch it my expectations were low, and so I was surprised how much more it was than just video games and rammed with so many ace pop-culture references to film and tv so there is a lot in there for everyone. Really enjoyable.

1 hour ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Amazon own film called Champs, on Prime.

Features bits of Tyson, Holyfield and Bernard Hopkins’ lives and careers with archive footage, retrospective interviews and the weird, unnecessary tendency to also portray snippets of their younger selves with actors. It’s more generally about the allure of boxing as a route out of poverty and the lessons it’s self-discipline etc teaches people. Nothing new but pretty watchable.

7 tigers-on-a-lead out of ten.

I'll check that out, sounds good.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Anubis said:

The Spotlight Team is still going, but I suspect that type of old school journalism is in serious decline. Section 31 has touched on this in the past with the local press.

It's all click-bait nowadays.

• Upvote 1

Why hasn't Doctor Octopus appeared in any of these Marvel films? I know he was in Spiderman 2 (the best superhero film) so why hasn't he made a reappearance? I personally thought Ironman and Avengers were crap so didn't bother with the rest. Bring back Doc Oc! 

d12023ae7dd0cd75d0a2761eb065f7fd7554ba94_00.jpg

• Upvote 1