You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Spenser Confidential. You ask for a Mark Wahlberg film, you get a Mark Wahlberg film. This was probably the most Mark Wahlberg film of the lot. Boston cop... silly, watchable but ultimately not great. I was actually enjoying it until he went all Stallone - Over The Top at the end. 5.5/10

I, Tonya - Half biopic, half mockumentary about Tonya Harding and the attack on Nancy Kerrigan. Not sure it's focus is correct as it frames Harding as a victim when the reality seems to be the opposite. It's passable, even if its tone is a little strange at times, and Margot Robbie is game as always. It doesn't really offer any insight though, possibly because it chose to use the 'unreliable narrator' style rather trying to obtain real facts. 6 out of 10.

Robocop (the original)

Some of the effects may have aged badly, but everything else is still ace. The news reports in particular feel very pertinent for these times. I miss the days when a blockbuster could keep a cracking pace and bow out at 1hr 40 minutes. No filler. Peter Weller deserves more credit for that performance, and Clarence Boddicker is a great baddie.

8 I'd buy that for a dollars out of 10

• Upvote 3

On 24/03/2020 at 02:48, cloggypop said:

After the extension of Dutch no social gathering I finally got round to The Irishman. 

3 and a half hours out of the time until June 1st.

Is that the date you'se where given? Fuck... 

Anyway, back in topic 

We watched some utter rubbish movie with marky mark on Netflix the other day. 

To say it was shite is an insult to shite. 

It was so bad it took us two nights to watch, because I feel asleep the first night, we put it on at 8, and it wasn't even 2 hours long. So that shows you how long it could keep my attention for. 

The worst bit is there's clearly going to be a sequel, then the missus turns to me and says "ooh, I'm looking forward to that" 

If I could do a face palm emoji I would. It was shocking. 

I did watch that Maradona movie last Saturday, that was fucking brilliant. 10/10 for me. 

I was too young to remember him in his pomp, Italia 90 would have been my first world cup in memory. But I never realised how shit napoli where when he went there. This, in my opinion seperates him from the rest when guy talk about the best ever. Messi and Ronaldo have always been in great teams. Maradona, by all accounts dragged Argentina to a world cup win in Mexico 86, then helped a struggling team, in the best league in the world to win their first ever league titles and European Cup trophies to. That is the sign of an absolute genius. 

And he was off his box on narcotics in the process. What a guy

Dr sleep. If youre comparing it to the shining and the shining being a 10 then I'd give this a 5 but as a film in it's own right with out the weight of the original book or Kubricks genuis for entertainment purposes I'd give it a 7 I enjoyed it. The woman who plays Rose the hat is gorgeous too. Decent film not a classic by any stretch.

33 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Is that the date you'se where given? Fuck... 

Anyway, back in topic 

We watched some utter rubbish movie with marky mark on Netflix the other day. 

To say it was shite is an insult to shite. 

It was so bad it took us two nights to watch, because I feel asleep the first night, we put it on at 8, and it wasn't even 2 hours long. So that shows you how long it could keep my attention for. 

The worst bit is there's clearly going to be a sequel, then the missus turns to me and says "ooh, I'm looking forward to that" 

If I could do a face palm emoji I would. It was shocking. 

I did watch that Maradona movie last Saturday, that was fucking brilliant. 10/10 for me. 

I was too young to remember him in his pomp, Italia 90 would have been my first world cup in memory. But I never realised how shit napoli where when he went there. This, in my opinion seperates him from the rest when guy talk about the best ever. Messi and Ronaldo have always been in great teams. Maradona, by all accounts dragged Argentina to a world cup win in Mexico 86, then helped a struggling team, in the best league in the world to win their first ever league titles and European Cup trophies to. That is the sign of an absolute genius. 

And he was off his box on narcotics in the process. What a guy

My concern with Napolis success domestically is the sheer strength of the Camorra at the time and the absolute corruption in Italian football. Plus he is a drug cheat if he's happy to take insane amounts of recreational drugs and not be arsed about testing I don't think he'd be arsed taking PEDs because he's a massive character he's always given a free ride on his drug use. Insanely talented player though. 

Endgame.

7.5? Yeah, about that. 8? Kind of where I'd place the whole MCU thing as a whole. As a plot its the equivalent to a kid trying to undo a knot in their shoelaces. They do a fine job of unravelling it and bring it back together in a nice bow. Enjoyable. Weird how it spends an hour with an odd vicarious nostalgia thing in the middle act though but I suppose it made the thing with Thanos's daughter fit in seamlessly in the long run. Set up a good climax.

Wait it's still going? Is it going to pull a Return of the King on me? Are we going to the grey havens? 

These are good, fun films. Not sure how great they will be in the long-run. Will people watch a full franchise to understand who everyone is or will it become a niche curiosity for people who already know?