You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Godzilla: King of the Monsters - Rubbish. Lacking the subtlety of the first film and holding back too much on the big fights, this is 2 hours of silly, dull nonsense. Not sure why it's 2 hours either, 90 minutes would have been sufficient, as all of the human characters are thinly-sketched and have ill-thought out motivations. Charles Dance turned up for the pay packet and nothing else, still not sure what his character was meant to be there for. Make another Godzilla film like this and you won't be making any more. 3 out of 10.

The Vanishing - Based on the real life mystery of the disappearance of three lighthouse keepers in Scotland. Gerard Butler remembers he can act and Peter Mullan is as good as usual. Atmospheric, tense and understated, it doesn't outstay it's welcome and is pretty gripping throughout. 8 out of 10.

• Upvote 1

Finally seen Parasite, after extensive preparation by watching all of Bong's films I could find, plus Oldboy.

it's probably the best of the lot, by which I mean it manages to avoid going completely bonkers in typical Korean style until the last third /act. People seem to like these films and I really don't know why. Or maybe I do.

17 hours ago, RedKnight said:

Godzilla: King of the Monsters - Rubbish. Lacking the subtlety of the first film and holding back too much on the big fights, this is 2 hours of silly, dull nonsense. Not sure why it's 2 hours either, 90 minutes would have been sufficient, as all of the human characters are thinly-sketched and have ill-thought out motivations. Charles Dance turned up for the pay packet and nothing else, still not sure what his character was meant to be there for. Make another Godzilla film like this and you won't be making any more. 3 out of 10.

The Vanishing - Based on the real life mystery of the disappearance of three lighthouse keepers in Scotland. Gerard Butler remembers he can act and Peter Mullan is as good as usual. Atmospheric, tense and understated, it doesn't outstay it's welcome and is pretty gripping throughout. 8 out of 10.

I mean.... making a 100ft tall monster subtle is a bit challenging like. 

9 hours ago, SasaS said:

Finally seen Parasite, after extensive preparation by watching all of Bong's films I could find, plus Oldboy.

it's probably the best of the lot, by which I mean it manages to avoid going completely bonkers in typical Korean style until the last third /act. People seem to like these films and I really don't know why. Or maybe I do.

Recommended films that I've never heard of please. 

7 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

The 5 hour version with subtitles? Possibly the greatest war film ever.

The Gibraltar scene was toe curlingly tense and claustrophobic.

Incredible film.

It was about 2 and a half hours long but was still fantastic. Seen it about 5 or 6 times and its superb.

8 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

The 5 hour version with subtitles?

10 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Das Boot (1981) The Director's A Cunt 9/10.

On 29/02/2020 at 22:35, RedKnight said:

watched The Vanishing on your recommendation, absolutely shite. IMDb rating of 5.8 is more apt. 

11 hours ago, cloggypop said:

Recommended films that I've never heard of please. 

What?

If you mean what have I seen of the same director, apart from Parasite, the best were Mother and Memories of Murder, which have intriguing stories and great visuals but for my taste too many things I don't like. Apart from the Snowpearcer (the only one I would say I enjoyed), I also saw The Host which is a completely bonkers disaster-monster movie (again some great visuals but the story which leaves you scratching your head) and Okja, a relatively recent Netflix original from when Netflix original was not exactly a recommendation for films, it's some kind of animal rights satirical action comedy (the usual mixture of low-brow and high-brow, a mishmash of vulgar, crude and infantile on one side and high estheticism and genre exploration on the other, the proper treat is Jake Gyllenhaal "acting Korean", reaching weapons-grade quality of annoying, even in the background).

You like Oldboy from that other director, I was going to watch all of his revenge trilogy (Sympathy for Mrs Vengeance and Mr Vengeance or something like that), but after following Olduboyu's exploits in the land of the inexplicable, implausible and insanely unrelatable I decided I've had enough and just went on straight to the Parasite. People are also talking about Juror and Handmaiden, but for now I will be checking out from Korea.

TLDR I'm with Trump on this one.

5 minutes ago, INTORRESTING said:

Need to watch The Chaser before you check out!

Also, it would be a shame to miss: A dirty carnival, I saw the Devil, A Bittersweet Life, Nameless Gangster, The Wailing and the Man from Nowhere!

Quality, especially I Saw the Devil.

A savage film.  They love a bit of revenge!  

Quite interesting:

Han, or haan, [ha̠n] is a concept of an emotion, variously described as some form of grief or resentment, among others, that has been said to be a characteristic of Korean culture.

The idea of han and its association with Korean identity are relatively recent, originating during the Japanese occupation of Korea from Japanese colonial stereotypes and the characterization of Korean art and culture as "sorrowful" by Yanagi Sōetsu.[1][2][3][4][5] Yanagi's theory, called the "beauty of sorrow", has received criticism in both Korea and, more recently, Japan, and has been criticized as "under-theorized" and "prejudiced".[6][7] Han, as a specifically Korean characteristic, did not originally exist prior to the Japanese occupation,[8] but was adopted and popularized by Koreans in the 20th century due to its propagation by scholars,[2][5] the circumstances of Korea's turbulent modern history,[3] and the political promotion of ethnic-national solidarity through a sense of "shared suffering".[9]

Han, as a theme, is expressed in many aspects of modern Korean culture, such as film and contemporary pansori.

Han is derived from the Chinese character , which means resentment, hatred, or regret.

According to the Translation Journal, "Han is frequently translated as sorrow, spite, rancor, regret, resentment or grief, among many other attempts to explain a concept that has no English equivalent."[11] The film director Im Kwon-Taek has said that Koreans have different interpretations of han.[12] The minjung theologian Suh Nam-dong described han as "a feeling of unresolved resentment against injustices suffered, a sense of helplessness because of the overwhelming odds against one, a feeling of acute pain in one's guts and bowels, making the whole body writhe and squirm, and an obstinate urge to take revenge and to right the wrong—all these combined".[13] The novelist Pak Kyongni described han as both sadness and hope.

21 minutes ago, INTORRESTING said:

Need to watch The Chaser before you check out!

Also, it would be a shame to miss: A dirty carnival, I saw the Devil, A Bittersweet Life, Nameless Gangster, The Wailing and the Man from Nowhere!

But, if I am not mistaken, they are essentially similar in style to the ones I've seen?  Overacting, dialogue as if translator is just making it up as he goes along, lack of any storytelling cohesion, unexpected and unmotivated bursts of slapstick comedy, incomprehensible character actions, over the top violence, general avoidance of any subtlety and excessive affinity for the grotesque?   

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

But, if I am not mistaken, they are essentially similar in style to the ones I've seen?  Overacting, dialogue as if translator is just making it up as he goes along, lack of any storytelling cohesion, unexpected and unmotivated bursts of slapstick comedy, incomprehensible character actions, over the top violence, general avoidance of any subtlety and excessive affinity for the grotesque?   

Yep, they're great.

19 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Yep, they're great.

I think I'll pass, I've head as much greatness as I can handle this and several years into the future, so I'll get back to average films.

And speaking of average films, watched Ford vs. Ferrari yesterday (7/10), it's not bad, keeps you interested for almost 150 minutes despite being cliché ridden which is no mean feat. If I remember correctly from Top Gear, Ford was actually a bit of a Man City in that rivalry, so they cleverly made it about maverick obsessives against the suits, so you root for them and not for Ferrari who had to rely on ingenuity instead of piles of money. A bit like a film about Guardiola fighting for the purity of football against image and marketing obsessed executives.  

On 02/03/2020 at 17:09, INTORRESTING said:

A savage film.  They love a bit of revenge!  

Quite interesting:

Han, or haan, [ha̠n] is a concept of an emotion, variously described as some form of grief or resentment, among others, that has been said to be a characteristic of Korean culture.

The idea of han and its association with Korean identity are relatively recent, originating during the Japanese occupation of Korea from Japanese colonial stereotypes and the characterization of Korean art and culture as "sorrowful" by Yanagi Sōetsu.[1][2][3][4][5] Yanagi's theory, called the "beauty of sorrow", has received criticism in both Korea and, more recently, Japan, and has been criticized as "under-theorized" and "prejudiced".[6][7] Han, as a specifically Korean characteristic, did not originally exist prior to the Japanese occupation,[8] but was adopted and popularized by Koreans in the 20th century due to its propagation by scholars,[2][5] the circumstances of Korea's turbulent modern history,[3] and the political promotion of ethnic-national solidarity through a sense of "shared suffering".[9]

Han, as a theme, is expressed in many aspects of modern Korean culture, such as film and contemporary pansori.

Han is derived from the Chinese character , which means resentment, hatred, or regret.

According to the Translation Journal, "Han is frequently translated as sorrow, spite, rancor, regret, resentment or grief, among many other attempts to explain a concept that has no English equivalent."[11] The film director Im Kwon-Taek has said that Koreans have different interpretations of han.[12] The minjung theologian Suh Nam-dong described han as "a feeling of unresolved resentment against injustices suffered, a sense of helplessness because of the overwhelming odds against one, a feeling of acute pain in one's guts and bowels, making the whole body writhe and squirm, and an obstinate urge to take revenge and to right the wrong—all these combined".[13] The novelist Pak Kyongni described han as both sadness and hope.

Bull-shit Mr Han Man.

• Upvote 6