You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

"Once Upon A Time In Hollywood"

What a waste of time and talent. 

3 of 10, and if I were subtracting the really shitty bits from the okay bits, this one would be in negative numbers.

"Joker"

Other than garnering Joaquin Phoenix an Oscar nomination, what was the point of that mess?

Or was it some bizarre send-up of "King of Comedy"? Am I missing something?

I'm starting to wonder if this is just a result of age: every time I watch a movie, it's basically me thinking "I've seen this before, and the original was better".

The problem being of course that the original is always better than the imitation, and if I were watching "Joker" or "Parasite" without having seen, say, "Taxi Driver" or "Swept Away..." would I have an entirely different take on both?

Not Once Upon, though. That was crap.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

After I'm finished with Bong, Oldboy and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance will get a look in. I reckon by then I'd be sufficiently fine tuned to the Korean canon.  I may fall down for no apparent reason several times while watching it or suddenly jump in the air and kick someone in the chest.

FriendlyEverlastingGadwall-size_restrict

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

3 of 10, and if I were subtracting the really shitty bits from the okay bits, this one would be in negative numbers.

"Joker"

Other than garnering Joaquin Phoenix an Oscar nomination, what was the point of that mess?

I'm starting to wonder if this is just a result of age: every time I watch a movie, it's basically me thinking "I've seen this before, and the original was better".

The problem being of course that the original is always better than the imitation, and if I were watching "Joker" or "Parasite" without having seen, say, "Taxi Driver" or "Swept Away..." would I have an entirely different take on both?

Negged for your Once Upon A Time In Hollywood comments, bastard breath.

I haven’t seen it, just felt like insulting someone.

25 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

"Joker"

Knew it wouldn't take long for TheDrowningMan to start posting on the GF. 

H90u2.gif

58 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

"Joker"

In what way is Swept Away by Guy Ritchie, starring Madonna, with a rating of 5% on Rotten Tomatoes, a better film than Parasite? 

1 hour ago, polymerpunkah said:

"Joker"

Fucking hell. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Youngest lad (13) just got back from the cinema with his friends. They watched 'Sonic the Hedgehog' and he said it's a 8/10. Good story with funny moments but he thought the effects weren't as good as they could have been. 

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

Youngest lad (13) just got back from the cinema with his friends. They watched 'Sonic the Hedgehog' and he said it's a 8/10. Good story with funny moments but he thought the effects weren't as good as they could have been. 

It's a fun film.

4 hours ago, polymerpunkah said:

I think 3 out of 10 is a bit generous, much like Hateful 8 and Django if it hadn't been made by Tarantino it would get absolutely panned.

Massive Emperors Clothes Syndrome going on with what he makes now.

10 minutes ago, chevettehs said:

I think 3 out of 10 is a bit generous, much like Hateful 8 and Django if it hadn't been made by Tarantino it would get absolutely panned.

You're just taking the piss now. 

7 hours ago, SasaS said:

I have quite a few Korean films stashed away, people used to rave about them so I kept collecting them without actually watching any (as I get older I get more resistant to fads) so I've decided it's time, climate apocalypse is coming and we may not have too long.

I started with Bong Whatshis Name and I am making my way slowly towards Parasite. Must say so far, these Korean films are totally bonkers, mostly not in a good way. Memory of a Murder and The Host down, Mother and Okja to go, then Parasite. Snowpearcer is beginning to look more and more like an oasis of moderation, sanity and ascetic adherence to absolute plausibility now, and I though it was fairly insane but captivating.

Uncle Boonme? Weird film that. Bit fishy.

7 hours ago, Lee909 said:

I love the old epic Kung Fu films snd John Woo films. 

If you've not seen them

John Woo

The Killer

A better tomorrow 

Bullet in the head

hard boiled

Japanese films

Akira Kurosawa Samurai Collection 

When the last sword is drawn

The twilight Samurai(brilliant film) 

Most of Takeshi 'Beat' Kitano work is superb, especially the early gangster stuff

Yeah, Sonantine. Class film.

Also, his part in Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence (Oshima directed) is great as well.  Battle Royale too, of course.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

Brilliant film-maker no doubt. But I agree with you on all three.

"Inglourious Basterds" was great, then he seemed to fall off the cliff.