You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

I was looking forward to seeing Knives Out, completed it and it did not disappoint at all. Brilliant story and film, well acted and didn't see the final outcome coming from an inch away.

Comfortable 9.3/10.

3 hours ago, thegreatelephant said:

how did you get on, Mr B?

just lent (gave) it to a mate my age who'd also never seen it. he'd also never watched 48 Hours, which is a 10/10. obviously.

we pick stuff up in the charity shops in wherever locations we can end up in and put each other on to things for a bit of a laugh. go on film and TV show raiding missions then re-donate them later. can't be arsed with streaming.

browse this thread for ideas too. top resource of information.

I haven't yet but I've got it bookmarked to watch. Will give it a go later or this week mate 

9 hours ago, redheart said:

Horse Girl...Alison Brie film on Netflix about mental health issues. This is difficult to categorise because it does not have a typical narrative structure and is somewhat abstract.

Brie was superb in it (and not just for her nudity).

7/10

Just checked out the nudity. 

Merkin that, definitely.

Had a little retrospective of Whit Stillman, after finding couple of his new titles I never saw before. I'd say they aged OK, and the new ones were a present surprise. Metropolitan (1990), the first in the preppy or "UHB" trilogy of comedies of manners is a solid 7/10, Barcelona (1994) is generally rated lower, but I still like it more, so 7.5/10 whilst the last one, The Last Days Of Disco (1998), generally the least favoured, I still rate as the best of the three, so 8/10.

Damsels in Distress (2011) was a very pleasant surprise, a bit dated, but more than a solid 7/10, IMDB's 5.7 rating is as baffling as it is scandalous. Reading some of the reviews on there, must say people in general do not understand Stillman's films at all. They are often described as comedies, but nobody is sticking anything up his/her own ass here (OK, maybe in Damsels), there is a lot of talking and not much happening, and satire is often not directed at what you'd expect.  Here we have even more of a focus on female characters than in Disco, with Greta Gerwig taking over from Chris Eigeman.

Love and Friendship (2016) a very solid adaptation of a lesser known Jane Austin work, so 7/10, recommended if you are into that sort of thing.

His pilot for Amazon Cosmopolitans (2014) I also found interesting, mostly slammed by reviews and not picked up, but I would happily watch it, a bit like Romanoffs lite.

A Beautiful Day In The Neighbourhood

Tom Hanks stars as children's TV star Mr Rogers in this quite bizarre biopic / tale.

Enthralling, curious, unsettling and wonderful in equal measure, Hanks himself is part Saint, part Hannibal Lecter.

Genuinely the strangest film I've seen for quite some time and I loved it.

Leave your weariness and your cynicism at the door, you might too.

8.5/10 Fen Kodi

On 07/02/2020 at 15:28, polymerpunkah said:

Uncut Gems

Great to see him using some of his Hollywood clout to make a movie aimed at adults.

It was annoying as fuck because he was annoying as fuck, but it was okay.

12th Man

Enjoyed that one as well, thanks for the recommendation.

I'm enjoying these small movies about apparently inconsequential events from history. Watched "The Seige of Jadotville", which covered similar territory.

Uncut Gems 7/10.

Pretty standard fare and can't see what the fuss is all about re Sandler.

We started Uncut Gems last night. Got about half an hour in and fucked it off. Will try and finish it tomorrow. 

True Romance 10/10

Just superb and has the greatest movie scene of all time. 

You Were Never Really Here 

Joaquin Phoenix. I have no idea what I've just watched. fell asleep for about 10 minutes right near the end then a gunshot made me jump out my skin. Weird weird film. 3/10. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You Were Never Really Here 

Joaquin Phoenix. I have no idea what I've just watched. fell asleep for about 10 minutes right near the end then a gunshot made me jump out my skin. Weird weird film. 3/10. 

You Were Never Really There could've been a demo for Joker.

The scenes between Phoenix' character and his mother were almost cut & paste jobs, and the destructive nihilism running throughout both films was utterly depressing.

If anything, I actually preferred YWNRH, at least it seemed to have a point, a purpose.

2 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

You Were Never Really There could've been a demo for Joker.

The scenes between Phoenix' character and his mother were almost cut & paste jobs, and the destructive nihilism running throughout both films was utterly depressing.

If anything, I actually preferred YWNRH, at least it seemed to have a point, a purpose.

I mentioned the similarities but massively disagree with your last line. Joker is a 10/10 movie. 

• Upvote 1

13 Hours. 6.5/10. Decent action film buried beneath the usual Apple Pie bollocks. Not sure what I took from this about US overseas competence. If it’s even halfway accurate you have a US Ambassador holed up in a luxury residence with only four bodyguards and a few local cops more corrupt than Trump University, and a ‘covert’ CIA compound with 26 mainly white westerners, a battery of satellite dishes on the roof, and lit up more brightly than the Allianz Arena.

10 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Delighted that Parasite did so well at the Oscars, best film I've seen in years. It's a bit weird that it hasn't really had a widespread release in the UK as yet though, hopefully the wins will cause that to happen.

Don't think it's due for release until later this month. 

7 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Don't think it's due for release until later this month. 

It's out now, but only in some cinemas, e.g. in Glasgow and Edinburgh, but not Stirling. Also, looking at Wikipedia, it was released last May in Korea, June in Australia and NZ, Russia in July and October for the US/ Canada. Seems odd to wait until now for the UK and then only have it in a limited number of cinemas. Maybe there were licensing issues, or they wanted to try and capitalise on Oscars hype.

7 minutes ago, Mudface said:

It's out now, but only in some cinemas, e.g. in Glasgow and Edinburgh, but not Stirling. Also, looking at Wikipedia, it was released last May in Korea, June in Australia and NZ, Russia in July and October for the US/ Canada. Seems odd to wait until now for the UK and then only have it in a limited number of cinemas. Maybe there were licensing issues, or they wanted to try and capitalise on Oscars hype.

If they all wore capes and manically licked their chops then they would've shifted so much more popcorn to the average British cinema goer.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Ah sorry, yeah. It was released last Friday. It'll likely get a wider release now that it won last night though.

1 minute ago, skend04 said:

Ah sorry, yeah. It was released last Friday. It'll likely get a wider release now that it won last night though.

I hope so, I really want to see it in a cinema, a bit of a better experience than watching the Russian screener on a laptop in a Leeds hotel...