You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

You seen The Red Turtle?

Yeah, it's class.  Not sure I'd hold it as one of the main Ghibli bunch, not sure how much they had to do with animating it, or if they just supported production and distribution of it. Shame the guy hasn't made anything since.

15 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

About half way through and its like a poor tv movie. Pretty poor and routine for me. Seen far too many 'miscarriage of justice' cases and they are done much better as documentaries for me.

As long as they aren't made by Netflix.

The Sure Thing 10/10

endlessly quotable and a complete Rob Reiner gem

'How would like to have a sexual experience so intense it could conceivably change your political views?'

'Sorry i'm late. There was this big problem...and i'm late because of it'

'I hope you appreciate the magnitude of your impending good fortune'

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, thegreatelephant said:

The Sure Thing 10/10

endlessly quotable and a complete Rob Reiner gem

'How would like to have a sexual experience so intense it could conceivably change your political views?'

'Sorry i'm late. There was this big problem...and i'm late because of it'

'I hope you appreciate the magnitude of your impending good fortune'

Ive just googled it. Never heard of it before but going to give it a go. I love Cusack in High Fidelity so I expect this is going to be decent. 

• Upvote 1

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. Well, this got very different. Like a mash up of Mad Max, Mad Max 2, The Running Man (which probably came after this I would think) and a Dr Dre music video. Certainly not as good as Mad Max 2, probably the equal of Mad Max so it's in the middle right now. If Mad Max is 8.5/10 and Mad Max 2 is 9.4/10, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome is probably about 8.7/10.

Looking forward to the latest one (Fury Road) and I've also picked up the Mad Max videogame for £2.49 on PC. Rude not to.

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Ive just googled it. Never heard of it before but going to give it a go. I love Cusack in High Fidelity so I expect this is going to be decent. 

Cusack is in another horror type film which he is great in. Not 1408, I think it's set in a motel and the people keep getting knocked off. I'm sure it's Cusack in it, isn't it?

Uncut Gems

Great to see him using some of his Hollywood clout to make a movie aimed at adults.

It was annoying as fuck because he was annoying as fuck, but it was okay.

12th Man

Enjoyed that one as well, thanks for the recommendation.

I'm enjoying these small movies about apparently inconsequential events from history. Watched "The Seige of Jadotville", which covered similar territory.

3 hours ago, Mendoza said:

Ingrid Goes West- thought this was some sort of fluffy comedy road movie, but its actually a dark and funny social media satire. Enjoyed it- 8/10.

Totally forgot about that, I watched it at the cinema and it thought it was good but it's evidently quite forgettable.

On 03/02/2020 at 23:28, Pidge said:

Parasite - 9/10

I think. Don't want to say much. Felt like a very pure realisation of an idea, lacked complexity as a result here and there, but that would only have taken away from it's amoral reality.  Felt like a Nagisa Oshima film (the Suns Burial style of characters coping with a brutal environment). It's growing on me...

Also watching far too many Ghibli films. Onto my fourth since they went on Netflix.  Breaking away to watch Uncut Gems on Weds I reckon, also spotted Ladybird is on there too.

Upgrade to 10/10.

• Upvote 1

The Ritual 

Passable lo-fi British horror about a group of friends on a hiking holiday. Unsurprisingly, something lurks in the woods. The general atmosphere and use of certain shots reminded me a lot of Ghost Stories; so much so, that I assumed it was heading in the same direction, ending-wise.

6 leave your limping friends behind out of 10

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

The Ritual 

Passable lo-fi British horror about a group of friends on a hiking holiday. Unsurprisingly, something lurks in the woods. The general atmosphere and use of certain shots reminded me a lot of Ghost Stories; so much so, that I assumed it was heading in the same direction, ending-wise.

6 leave your limping friends behind out of 10

If you haven't read it, the book is good. The first half is genuinely unsettling. 

• Upvote 1

1917 - for all the technical wizardry, it just didn't have much emotional impact. There are no scenes in it that came close to the beach landing in Saving Private Ryan. Also, the German soldiers are about as accurate with their rifles as Star Wars stormtroopers. 6/10

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, redheart said:

Horse Girl...Alison Brie film on Netflix about mental health issues.

Sounds a bit grim, think I'll swerve it...

This is difficult to categorise because it does not have a typical narrative structure and is somewhat abstract.

definitely not my cup of tea...

Brie was superb in it (and not just for her nudity).

I've added it to my list

• Upvote 6

On 06/02/2020 at 18:10, Bjornebye said:

how did you get on, Mr B?

just lent (gave) it to a mate my age who'd also never seen it. he'd also never watched 48 Hours, which is a 10/10. obviously.

we pick stuff up in the charity shops in wherever locations we can end up in and put each other on to things for a bit of a laugh. go on film and TV show raiding missions then re-donate them later. can't be arsed with streaming.

browse this thread for ideas too. top resource of information.

51 minutes ago, thegreatelephant said:

how did you get on, Mr B?

just lent (gave) it to a mate my age who'd also never seen it. he'd also never watched 48 Hours, which is a 10/10. obviously.

we pick stuff up in the charity shops in wherever locations we can end up in and put each other on to things for a bit of a laugh. go on film and TV show raiding missions then re-donate them later. can't be arsed with streaming.

browse this thread for ideas too. top resource of information.

He doesn't watch films, films watch him.