You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

3 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Actually the director's cut is the version that the vast majority of people will have seen. The original theatrical version had a more optimistic ending and for some reason they decided they didn't want people to see that any more. The original version is super rare and is not sold or streamed anymore at all as far as I am aware.

I found the original ending on youtube of all places.

Theatrical ending...

Post-theatrical ending...

There are actually four endings. This is a decent mashup of them-

16 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Balls. I'm sticking with Mad Max 2 but I now have access to a film called The Nightingale. Been looking for this for a while, supposed to be pretty good.

Nightingale is very good , it wavers a little but still a solid 8/10 for me 

2 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I knew there were two but I didn't know about the others.

I'm not entirely sure any of them really work to be honest, especially the ones where the Dictaphone and tape survive. Maybe they should have gone with an amalgamation like the fan video above. Great film though.

The Nightingale - very unusual film, not much of a setup and some really shocking scenes of graphic violence. But it doesn't seem gratuitous considering the setting.A comfortable 8.5/10.2 even though I sometimes felt uncomfortable watching it.

Mustang 10/10

Story about five young sisters living with their grandparents in a remote part of Turkey. On the last day of school they're, innocently playing with local boys on the beach before going home.

Unbeknownst to them a nieghbour sees them and reports them to their grandparents and their lives are never the same again. 

It's subtitled but still worth watching.

4 hours ago, Special K said:

Uncut Gems - 9/10

The most ridiculously stressful film I've ever seen. Thought I was going to have a migraine at the end.

Sandler was robbed of an Oscar nomination

It really was quite a performamce by Sandler. The film, as you say, was  a bit tense, but the driven gambler life does seem to be stress inducing - just check the chewed up pens in your local bookmakers.  

On 01/02/2020 at 21:46, Shooter in the Motor said:

Mad Max 2 - 9.2/10.9

That was bloody great from start to finish. Looking forward to part 3.

It is brilliant. It's everything the original promised to be. 

The third one is good, but a bit more commercial and less edgy. Still my favourite trilogy though.  

5 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

What? There's a director's cut? When the hell did this happen? 

I thought that was common knowledge. All of the first three films have extended versions with deleted scenes although the original Alien has the least new footage. It's definitely an improvement and ties in better with the sequel.

1 hour ago, Elite said:

Richard Jewell - 8/10

Very good.  Fans of the TV Show Kingdom will already know what a thoroughly engaging actor Paul Hauser  and the brilliant Sam Rockwell in and you can't go far wrong.

About half way through and its like a poor tv movie. Pretty poor and routine for me. Seen far too many 'miscarriage of justice' cases and they are done much better as documentaries for me.

On 02/02/2020 at 19:28, Dougie Do'ins said:

Mustang 10/10

Story about five young sisters living with their grandparents in a remote part of Turkey. On the last day of school they're, innocently playing with local boys on the beach before going home.

Unbeknownst to them a nieghbour sees them and reports them to their grandparents and their lives are never the same again. 

It's subtitled but still worth watching.

Wonderful film.

The littlest girl Lale, was especially brilliant. And Uncle Erol eh, what a cunt.

Thanks for the review Dougie, wouldn't have watched this otherwise.

9/10 Fen Kodi

@Dougie Do'ins

If you liked this you should try Capernaum.

Parasite - 9/10

I think. Don't want to say much. Felt like a very pure realisation of an idea, lacked complexity as a result here and there, but that would only have taken away from it's amoral reality.  Felt like a Nagisa Oshima film (the Suns Burial style of characters coping with a brutal environment). It's growing on me...

Also watching far too many Ghibli films. Onto my fourth since they went on Netflix.  Breaking away to watch Uncut Gems on Weds I reckon, also spotted Ladybird is on there too.

7 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Parasite - 9/10

I think. Don't want to say much. Felt like a very pure realisation of an idea, lacked complexity as a result here and there, but that would only have taken away from it's amoral reality.  Felt like a Nagisa Oshima film (the Suns Burial style of characters coping with a brutal environment). It's growing on me...

Also watching far too many Ghibli films. Onto my fourth since they went on Netflix.  Breaking away to watch Uncut Gems on Weds I reckon, also spotted Ladybird is on there too.

You seen The Red Turtle?