You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

I thought the film did a good job of mixing up the realistic serious issue of mental health and the unrealistic, fantasy world of comic books. There are some fairly big plot holes but that didn’t bother me because super-hero movies are riddled with them and you don’t go into watching one of them hoping for a coherent, realistic story.

As you say, if this movie was made outside of the confines of Joker and just as a standalone movie about mental health then it probably wouldn’t have been as appealing. That makes it all the more impressive an idea for me though, that the director used the concept to present the issue and story in a way that people can bizarrely relate to. 

I was thinking this would truly be a masterpiece if it actually wasn't a back story about a super villain at all, that is, if the concept that he had to become a mass murderer (super villain) for the people to take notice of him was extended to him (and the makers of the film) pretending this is a DC's copyrighted-owned -please -obtain-approval Joker back story. SPOILER ALERT  If this was the meaning of the last scene and "you wouldn't get the joke", the joke being, we just pretended it's a superhero back story to get you cunts to pay attention. END

Which I think it sadly isn't,  they probably just wanted to put more meat on the Joker story, as in "how about we approach it as a gritty psychological drama, because this has not been done yet". Same as I don't think A Star is Born is a story about a woman destroying a man through her selfish ambition (which it could have been, incidentally, another film linked with Bradley Cooper) but a melodrama where the makers toyed with smidges of controversial interpretation.

Which all makes Joker a very intriguing (and superbly made) film, but ultimately an exercise in fakery.

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil. 4/10.  What can I say? I was bored and here was a sequel nobody asked for.

Briefly - Michelle Pfeiffer goes all out to commit fairy genocide, and only Angelina Jolie can stop her. Sort of. Desperately wanted one side to just win - I didn’t care who - but no, here we are at the end with fairy and humans hand-in-hand in peace and harmony. Fuck you and your happy endings, Disney. And while we’re at it, your world building is shit. The kingdom of Ulla (I think) had about a hundred townsfolk and a standing army in excess of a thousand. Where are you getting the taxes for that, you twats?

Finally, a word on Ed Skrein and his downward career trajectory. You leave Game of Thrones to try to reboot a Transporter franchise that The Stath had lovingly fucked and wiped his knob on on the way out, and fail. And now look at you, prancing around in goat horns and CGI wings, having a sword held to your throat by probably the most effeminate Prince in Disney history, and with 90% of your lines being mildly threatening grunts at people. Let that be a warning to others.

Ok, I’m done.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil. 4/10.  What can I say? I was bored and here was a sequel nobody asked for.

Briefly - Michelle Pfeiffer goes all out to commit fairy genocide, and only Angelina Jolie can stop her. Sort of. Desperately wanted one side to just win - I didn’t care who - but no, here we are at the end with fairy and humans hand-in-hand in peace and harmony. Fuck you and your happy endings, Disney. And while we’re at it, your world building is shit. The kingdom of Ulla (I think) had about a hundred townsfolk and a standing army in excess of a thousand. Where are you getting the taxes for that, you twats?

Finally, a word on Ed Skrein and his downward career trajectory. You leave Game of Thrones to try to reboot a Transporter franchise that The Stath had lovingly fucked and wiped his knob on on the way out, and fail. And now look at you, prancing around in goat horns and CGI wings, having a sword held to your throat by probably the most effeminate Prince in Disney history, and with 90% of your lines being mildly threatening grunts at people. Let that be a warning to others.

Ok, I’m done.

A bit hypocritical coming from someone prancing around with a dog's head on his shoulders.

I can however only applaud your insistence on fiscal responsibility / revenue plausibility in fictional worlds.

Uncut Gems 8/10.

Adam Sandler a New York jeweller who f’bombs his way round a series of highjinks and escalating situations in the hunt for a pay day on the back of getting an uncut diamond.

Not really supposed to be a comedy but much funnier than the films where Sandler is meant to actually be funny. Most enjoyable.  

JeruZalem. 6/10. Low budget Israeli found-footage horror told via Google glass. It’s actually a decent effort and manages to engender some tension, but lacks a proper build up or foreboding leading up to all hell being unleashed. Also suffers because World War Z gave us such a superb ‘chase’ sequence through the streets and alleys of Jerusalem. Unfair, hit both films likely to find the same audience and so it suffers in comparison. Still, I’ve seen much, much worse on similar budgets. Ten points for the rather delicious Yael Grobglas who plays Rachel. 

Watched Parasite last night. Very, very enjoyable. More South Korean quality shining through.

I love how the direction of the film changes and keeps you guessing all the time. Slots onto my same top shelf as ‘I saw the devil’ (favourite film of all time) and ‘The Chaser’

8.5 out of 10.

• Upvote 1

Knives Out. 

Just finished it on Kodi Exodus. Absolutely loved it. Many won't like it at all, its one of 'them' types of film but I found it great to watch. Its filmed brilliantly. The missus has just rightly said that Daniel Craig should do a load of films off the back of this where he plays the 'Sleuth' Detective Benoit Blanc. Very good cast and all. One of my favourite actresses Toni Collette is in it and I am sure pretty much all of you will add extra pointage for the main character played by Ana De Armas. 

8.5/10 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Knives Out. 

Just finished it on Kodi Exodus. Absolutely loved it. Many won't like it at all, its one of 'them' types of film but I found it great to watch. Its filmed brilliantly. The missus has just rightly said that Daniel Craig should do a load of films off the back of this where he plays the 'Sleuth' Detective Benoit Blanc. Very good cast and all. One of my favourite actresses Toni Collette is in it and I am sure pretty much all of you will add extra pointage for the main character played by Ana De Armas. 

8.5/10 

Yeah there's definitely scope for a series of Benoit Blanc films, excellent character. The donut monologue was funny as fuck.

Joker 

That has to be the biggest Oscar Best Actor performance shoe-in of all time. (He probably won't win it because the Academy have attendance to be cunts when it comes to the obvious). That said, it wasn't the usual far-fetched super-hero movie and everything in it was purely realistic plus it focused on mental health so actually they probably will. 

I was just trying to work-out if there was a scene without him in throughout the film and there wasn't. Just superb. It was always going to take a lot to better Ledger or Nicholsons Joker and even though eh was only 'in-character' for a small part I think he managed it. 

10/10. I can't fault a single thing. 

Not sure about the Taxi Driver comments in other peoples reviews. I didn't get that at all. Far more a combination of Buffalo Bill and towards the end Patrick Bateman than Travis Bickle. But obviously better, scarier and far more believable. 

I'm trying to think of a better performance in a movie by any actor and I can't think of one right now. 

• Upvote 1

So a loner who suffers from paranoia, depression, and a slew of mental illnesses goes out guns blazing in a sea if violence and bloodshed, you don't see those comparisons at all? Similarly with Dead Man's Shoes and to a lesser extent, King of Comedy.

Big fan of Phoenix and his film earlier last year, You Were Never Really Here, in many ways could almost be seen as a demo for Joker.

And I still fail to get the love in for Ledger's performance, to my mind he p!ayed Nicholson playing the Joker. Slavering, slurping and licking his chops doesn't cut the mustard for me I'm afraid and to that end I do agree that Phoenix' performance does reign over his 2 predecessors.

• Upvote 1

Started watching a film called Boyhood with Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke. Has excellent ratings on IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes, interesting concept with it being filmed over 12 years.

Turned it off before the half hour mark, boring as fuck and shit acting. Had high hopes for it too.

10 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Joker 

That has to be the biggest Oscar Best Actor performance shoe-in of all time. (He probably won't win it because the Academy have attendance to be cunts when it comes to the obvious). That said, it wasn't the usual far-fetched super-hero movie and everything in it was purely realistic plus it focused on mental health so actually they probably will. 

I was just trying to work-out if there was a scene without him in throughout the film and there wasn't. Just superb. It was always going to take a lot to better Ledger or Nicholsons Joker and even though eh was only 'in-character' for a small part I think he managed it. 

10/10. I can't fault a single thing. 

Not sure about the Taxi Driver comments in other peoples reviews. I didn't get that at all. Far more a combination of Buffalo Bill and towards the end Patrick Bateman than Travis Bickle. But obviously better, scarier and far more believable. 

I'm trying to think of a better performance in a movie by any actor and I can't think of one right now. 

Joker will get the best picture award too, there is very little doubt about it, it checks all the boxes. Scarlett Johansson will get it for Marriage Story, which may get the screenplay award too (don't know if the film is eligible though).  

1 minute ago, SasaS said:

Joker will get the best picture award too, there is very little doubt about it, it checks all the boxes. Scarlett Johansson will get it for Marriage Story, which may get the screenplay award too (don't know if the film is eligible though).  

A super hero film will win Best Film Oscar? Now I know why I never go to the pictures.

• Upvote 1

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

A super hero film will win Best Film Oscar? Now I know why I never go to the pictures.

It combines the new recently proposed and not yet introduced category of best of the blockbusters (or something to that effect) with what is understood as the best picture category, because it is and it isn't a superhero movie. It has already won at Venice or Berlin I think, as a "superhero film". 

The Gentlemen- Guy Ritchie's latest gangster caper with Matthew McConaughey and Hugh Grant. Really enjoyed this, the usual smart dialogue and criss-crossing of events from Ritchie, excellent turns from McConaughey and especially Grant as a loathsome PI and an hilarious Colin Farrell. There's also a very well done homage to The Long Good Friday's final scene as well. 8.5/10