You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

John Carpenter’s Vampires. 8/10. A guilty pleasure. Looking back on it you realise it’s quite misogynistic to Sheryl Lee’s character. The positive elements come from Carpenter’s decision to make it a violent western where the guns for hire are vampire hunters and the bandits vampires, rather than a straight horror film. James Woods is great value, while Ian Thomas Griffiths makes for a decent pantomime villain, and Maximilian Schell gets to twirl his moustache much more than he did in The Black Hole. Not a classic, but good popcorn entertainment.

17 hours ago, Elite said:

Knives Out - 7/10

Good fun and Daniel Craig was very good as the deep south P.I, a role which I'd have never envisioned him playing.

Agreed, a really fun, funny and enjoyable whodunit.

Kind of begs the question though, what the fuck happened to Rian Johnson that he absolutely dropped the ball with TLJ when he can direct films like this and Looper. Madness.

17 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

Public Enemies (Netflix)

Gangster/Crime biography of John Dillinger, Baby face Nelson, Pretty Boy Floyd and the Feds bringing them down. Not Michael Mann's best work but a very solid film and worth a watch. Packed with big names and some decent performances. 7/10. 

I think this film is massively underrated. It’s a good story, great cast & performances and I love the score almost as much as I love Marion Cotillard. 

I think it’s really, really good. 

Guardians Of The Tomb (aka 7 Guardians, aka Nest 3D). 0/10.

So you have Christmas Eve off, and you have the misfortune to click on the Horror channel just as this starts. And you slowly get drawn in and become fascinated to see just how bad this will get, especially as the Chinese and Australian film commissions have thrown shitloads of money at it. The answer is worse than you ever thought. To shorten it - rescue team enter an ancient Chinese emperor’s tomb to rescue missing archaeologists and encounter an army of genetically-manipulated-by-breeding man-eating funnel web spiders. I could go on at length dissecting this, but will simply tell you that the protagonists are able to casually evade the advancing CGI horde by simply slowly walking ahead of them, and as they exit each room a small dog-sized General spider turns up to wave it’s mandibles in frustration and direct it’s smaller cohorts to better efforts. And the said CGI waving of mandibles is the best acting on show - almost Oscar worthy compared to the actors efforts. Swerve.

17 minutes ago, Stouffer said:

Aye, never seen the original but the remake sucks camel dick.

Ad Astra is a lot better than Solaris. I've watched it twice and enjoyed it both times. No doubt there is not a lot going on but what there is, is very well done and also very restrained where many films tend to try and make things larger for dramatic effect. 

18 hours ago, Anubis said:

John Carpenter’s Vampires. 8/10. A guilty pleasure. Looking back on it you realise it’s quite misogynistic to Sheryl Lee’s character. The positive elements come from Carpenter’s decision to make it a violent western where the guns for hire are vampire hunters and the bandits vampires, rather than a straight horror film. James Woods is great value, while Ian Thomas Griffiths makes for a decent pantomime villain, and Maximilian Schell gets to twirl his moustache much more than he did in The Black Hole. Not a classic, but good popcorn entertainment.

Vampires is a great film. One of my favourite vampire films. I love the scene on the motel at the beginning. 

The book it’s based on is very good as well if you haven’t read it, quite different from the film but still a good read. It’s quite expensive for some reason in paperback so I picked up a second hand one a while back. 

Vampires https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0451462262/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_AYNaEb6FK2182

Marriage Story 8/10.

My boy Noah Baumbach finally on the verge of making it big with some Golden Globe and hopefully other nominations. A less schmaltzy Kramer vs. Kramer type drama. There's supposed to be some big conversation on the net about this film, but I have not been looking in to it nor do I intend to, I can sort of guess what it's about.

Anyway, one of the best films of 2019. Which wasn't such a great year. But this one is good. Made for Netflix.  

• Upvote 1

Funny Cow: 7/10.

The Irishman. 2nd time because my old dear wanted to see it and I didn’t have the heart to tell her I already had.

So much better this time, which surprised me. Revised my opinion from 6-7/10 up to 8-9/10, though nostalgia may be playing some part in the highest end of that.

Basically I think on second watch it benefitted from its obvious predecessors, whereas on first watch it suffered due to them.

6 underground.

fuck me this is dreadful. How do they still get away with making shit like this. 

turned it off after 10 minutes. 

Ryan Reynolds really fluked it with that deadpool and is milking the shit out of that characters humour now. 

0/10. Avoid