You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

On 24/11/2019 at 18:47, Captain Turdseye said:

Frozen 2. 

Miraculously avoided the first one. Drew the short straw this time. Great film for girls of primary school age. For the rest of us, there are one or two slower songs which will help you drift off to sleep for a few minutes. 

I went last Friday with my daughter as she had a training day. 

I’ve only ever seen bits of the 1st one, so wasn’t 100% sure what to expect. 

Best I think I can say about it was I didn’t hate it. 

Hustlers 8/10.

Film about J.Lo and her team of strippers drugging and ripping off Wall St bankers. It was more a story of J.Lo and Destiny’s friendship than the heist movie I expected but I still quite enjoyed it. 

I’ve maybe given an extra point for all the scantily clad, gorgeous females in the movie. 

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - 9/10.

I went to the cinema to watch this and I was expecting it all be far more about the Manson murders. I was a bit confused by it all at the time and although I didn’t dislike it, I couldn’t really put a score on it.

I watched it again yesterday and it is brilliant. I get there isn’t much of a story to it, Margot Robbie is fairly pointless in it and it goes on a bit to long, but it can’t be denied it’s fucking entertaining watching Di Caprio and Pitt on the absolute top of their game, obviously having a blast while they are doing it. 

There are so many lovely little touches in it (I love it when all the lights come on around Hollywood) and it’s probably my favourite QT soundtrack. 

Given how much I enjoyed the 2nd viewing, I’m going to try and watch it again next week. 

On 13/11/2019 at 18:48, Redder Lurtz said:

The King

Ignoring all of the utterly laughable historical inaccuracies for a second it's very enjoyable. Some great performances, especially Sean Harris.

But fuck me, it rewrote history. John Falstaff never existed, he was invented by Billy Shakespeare but in this film he planned and died in the battle of agincourt. Thomas of Lancaster, Henry's younger brother, died at Anjou but here there was just some vague reference to him having been killed by English and Welsh rebels. Tosh. 

Still gets a 7 from me though, purely through it being a cracking medieval part political and part action film. 

Worst Elvis Impersonator film ever. 0/10. Thank you very much. 

• Upvote 1

On 30/11/2019 at 10:01, Scott_M said:

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - 9/10.

I went to the cinema to watch this and I was expecting it all be far more about the Manson murders. I was a bit confused by it all at the time and although I didn’t dislike it, I couldn’t really put a score on it.

I watched it again yesterday and it is brilliant. I get there isn’t much of a story to it, Margot Robbie is fairly pointless in it and it goes on a bit to long, but it can’t be denied it’s fucking entertaining watching Di Caprio and Pitt on the absolute top of their game, obviously having a blast while they are doing it. 

There are so many lovely little touches in it (I love it when all the lights come on around Hollywood) and it’s probably my favourite QT soundtrack. 

Given how much I enjoyed the 2nd viewing, I’m going to try and watch it again next week. 

Margot Robbie isn't pointless in anything. Even her 1 minute cameo in The Big Short bumps it from a 7.5 to an 8.5. 

On 30/11/2019 at 09:55, Scott_M said:

Hustlers 8/10.

Film about J.Lo and her team of strippers drugging and ripping off Wall St bankers

Never even knew this happened. Typical corporate media burying it originally, but fair play to whoever made the documentary and to J Lo for being the fittest Robin Hood ever.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Never even knew this happened. Typical corporate media burying it originally, but fair play to whoever made the documentary and to J Lo for being the fittest Robin Hood ever.

I don't know mate. Emma Watson did a film called The Bling Ring about a group of them going round and robbing rich houses in beverley Hills. Based on a true story. I have no idea if it was good or not but just look....

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

I Am Not A Witch - 8/10

A young girl tuns up in a village and is accused of being a witch. She's put on trial and ends up in a camp with other women also deemed to bewitches but are much older than her. At the same time she's also being manipulated by a government official who's using her like an attraction from a freak show.

Utterly odd film that's slow mostly slow paced yet compelling. 

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood  7/10.

Enjoyed it, but don't quite know what to make of it, all the criticism you may have read or heard I'd say is true, I wasn't bored but it is one massively self-indulgent film. Is this supposed to be Tarantino's 8 1/2? Apart from Fellini, the lack of easily discernible story remands me of Antonioni a bit, has Quentin discovered other cinema, apart from trashy pop-culture, in his more mature years? Also, the dialogue is nothing special this time, disappointing.

Taken individually, most scenes work, but put together, I didn't get what is the film about.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SasaS said:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood  7/10.

Enjoyed it, but don't quite know what to make of it, all the criticism you may have read or heard I'd say is true, I wasn't bored but it is one massively self-indulgent film. Is this supposed to be Tarantino's 8 1/2? Apart from Fellini, the lack of easily discernible story remands me of Antonioni a bit, has Quentin discovered other cinema, apart from trashy pop-culture, in his more mature years? Also, the dialogue is nothing special this time, disappointing.

Taken individually, most scenes work, but put together, I didn't get what is the film about.

Yeah, it's an incoherent mess. The fight scene at the studio is brilliant, though.

Ready Or Not

Black comedy/horror set amongst a rich family that has an initiation tradition for new additions to the family through marriage. Similar to You're Next but felt it was superior in every way. 8/10

"The Big Short"

Really enjoyed that, thanks. 9 of 10.

Dove-tails nicely with "Margin Call" for sure. Will be looking for "99 Homes" next.

Carell is a bit hit and miss, for me, but I thought he was very good in this one.

Watching these movies does make me wonder "what, and when, will the next bubble be?" Particularly with a charlatan like Trump in charge.

3 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

"The Big Short"

Really enjoyed that, thanks. 9 of 10.

Dove-tails nicely with "Margin Call" for sure. Will be looking for "99 Homes" next.

Carell is a bit hit and miss, for me, but I thought he was very good in this one.

Watching these movies does make me wonder "what, and when, will the next bubble be?" Particularly with a charlatan like Trump in charge.

Such a brilliant film. 

Steve Carrell is superb. 

On 03/12/2019 at 19:00, Pidge said:

Knives out - 7/10. 

Good movie. Spends a lot of effort pretending to be a Wes Anderson tribute, but actually very enjoyable on its own terms too. Worth the admission, would see again.

Going to see it over the weekend , Mrs loves whodunnits 

On 03/12/2019 at 21:40, Shooter in the Motor said:

Ready Or Not

Black comedy/horror set amongst a rich family that has an initiation tradition for new additions to the family through marriage. Similar to You're Next but felt it was superior in every way. 8/10

Watched that last night , strange to say the least . Fairly entertaining I suppose - max 6.5/10 for me , decent idea but could have been so much better

• Upvote 1