You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

3 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Trainspotting 2

4/10 A few poignant moments but apart from that fount it all a bit over the top.

Spud steals the show in this. The whole thing with Begbie escaping prison then just going back to his ex-wife and sons house and living there without the bizzies smashing the door through is annoying. 

The suicide scene and the proddy club one are brilliant. Its more than a 4 but maybe thats me being nostalgic. 

On 01/11/2019 at 18:26, elvis said:

Crikey , I thought it was at least a 9/10 , really surprised me 

I did enjoy it mate but it was still a bit too Bollywood for my tastes, and compared to some of the other blisteringly good foreign language films I've watched recently (Parasite, Burning, Roma, Capernaum) I found Andhadhun a poor relation to those.

Just my personal opinion like.

Room 237

Another biopic, this time a timely one because this little film documents the making of Kubrick's The Shining.

Room 237 is bat shit mental, absolutely bursting at the seams with lunatic conspiracy theories (for instance, The Shining was Kubrick's coded admission that he filmed and faked the moon landings for NASA).

Aside from the conspiracy stuff though there's lots of little foibles and details which would interest fans of the The Shining, the links to Ridley Scott's Bladerunner being particularly pleasing.

Recommended for fans of The Shining and Stanley Kubrick and for those who like this sort of thing.

7/10 Exodus Redux > Kodi

The new Terminator movie :

+  Great action

+  Lots of fun to watch

+ Brilliant Alien inspired Terminators

+ Good to see Sarah Connor back alongside T101 or whatever the number is

- Nonsense story

- Cheesy dialogue

- Impossible survival odds

- Tries to ignore Terminator movies after the first two to acknowledge they were shite

- Mexican lady seems to undergo a magical and nonsensical personality transformation

Worth watching for the positives, chucked in the bin for the negatives

5/10

Darc. 4/10. Nonsensical infiltrate and destroy the Yakuza from within story. Gets the four for some suitably brutal fight sequences, but that’s it.

Dead Man Down. 7/10. Nonsensical infiltrate and destroy criminal gangs from within story. Better script and actors elevate it above the aforementioned bollocks.

19 hours ago, Pidge said:

Watched IT part one the other day. Thought it was very well done, removing nostalgia from the picture it's a big improvement over the original in many respects. Although Curry's performance meant they could just use make-up to escalate things for the actual attacks, which is the one thing I thought fell flat in the new one.  Skarsgard was spot on in the main, but the sped-up waddle towards the screen approach just seemed a bit silly. Pretty much everything else was spot on. Great atmosphere, really triggered an interest in the whole King mythos again. Mad that I've never actually read one of his full novels. 8/10

Dark Tower - a why not Netflix click on this follwoing It. It's average, doesn't seem to ever think it's going to set up anything bigger than the single film so at least it tells a satisfying story. Some good performances, but little to say and never really gives the world any real weight. 6/10

Troll Hunter - seen it loads, the best 'found footage' film for me (although I've never seen Rec, which people were raving about back in the day). 9/10. Love it.

Rec is very good, as is Rec 2. Rec 3 is bonkers, not in a good way.

17 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Rec is very good, as is Rec 2. Rec 3 is bonkers, not in a good way.

Yep, Rec is excellent. Genuinely scary at parts too.

2 hours ago, Duff Man said:

The Big Sick - despite my general hatred of the genre, I really liked it (even got a bit teary at one point). Touching and funny, which I think is the goal with this kind of thing. 8.5/10.

I'll have to give that another go- I did try and watch it some time ago and gave up after 10 minutes or so, thinking it was just going to be some smug Millennial pish.

"Duck Soup" and "A Night At The Opera"

Two from the Marx Brothers, made in the 1930s.

Excellent physical comedy, slapstick, horrible puns, the odd musical number and Groucho's endless wise-cracks ("I have half a mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it").

I think the latter is a bit better than for former, but they're both great movies.

The Old Man and the Gun - Supposedly Robert Reford's last film, it's a low-key study of a serial bank robber and jail breaker who robs banks without firing a shot and by being polite. It's quite a gentle movie and Redford is charming in the lead role, Casey Affleck is the cop who's hunting him and kind of admires him too. The only thing that took me out of the action was the description of his character's age as 50 to 60 when Redford is 83 and is starting to look like it. Other than that, it's a nice film told in a sympathetic manner and shot with a slightly grainy '80s aesthetic (which is when the movie is set) and it's worth seeking out. 8.5 out of 10.

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke

The King. Netflix. Based on King Henry the V and his ascent to the throne and the battle of Agincourt thereafter. I say based, but in all honesty it is probably 20% history and 80% pure fiction. Pretty boring at times as they spend way too long on dialect and situations that could have been done in a lot less time. It isn't shit if like me you like this Genre, nor is it that good. A very mediocre 5.5 crowns out of 10. 

Snowpiercer. Netflix. A Dystopien film with a difference and not in a good way. The difference being it is set on a train. The story is full of plot holes with mediocre acting and a story line that a 14 year old could have knocked up in class. I honestly can't recommend it unless you want to waste over two hours of your life. 4 carriages out of 10. 

Guest Pistonbroke
16 minutes ago, Elite said:

I turned Showpiercer off after about 20 minutes. Looked incredibly dull.

It picked up a bit, but you made the right choice. 

5 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Snowpiercer was absolutely terrible, I wished I had turned it off.

It is based on a French graphic novel and apparently they are going to make a TV series based on it.

One to miss, although it could have been very good with a better writer and actors. As it was, a load of cack. 

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Red Lead said:

Yeah, I would have to agree about Snowpiercer, what a heap of shit. Baffles me how most of the reviews I've read on IMBD, RT etc. are actually positive. 

Yeah, that's why I decided to watch it and give it a chance. Some strange people doing reviews if they think that was a decent flick.