You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

On 19/10/2019 at 19:55, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Andhadhun

A work colleague recommended this to me. I watched it on Netflix.

Indian film, about a blind pianist who gets entangled in a series of twists after being at a murder scene of a famous actor.

Starts off slow, but trust me it's worth sticking with. A masterpiece.

10/10

Meh, didn't do it for me this one. Enjoyable in a farcical way but the acting was poor and the incidental music and songs throughout were a bit cringey my western tastes.

6/10

Green Book - Enjoyable retelling of Don Shirley's tour of the deep south in the '60s that's not very big on nuance or subtlety but is well done. Came out of it realising the real Tony Lip was Carmine in the Sopranos and having my mind blown. 8 out of 10.

Pitch Perfect 2 - The first one was a really fun film, this one stretched the premise a little too thinly but was still fine. It starts leaning a little too heavily into the absurd and Glee levels of cheesiness. They probably should have left it here with this. 6 out of 10. However...

Pitch Perfect 3 - Awful. Just one of the worst films I've sat through in a while and the film people think, who haven't seen the first one, the first is like. Basic script, tacky sets, shot like it was straight to video and on a small budget, ludicrous plot and does it's best to make you think poorly of the other two films. 2 out of 10.

On 22/10/2019 at 01:53, Jose Jones said:

Watched The Laundromat, Steven Soderbergh's take on the Panama Papers on Netflix

I was hoping for a bit of The Big Short style farce based on real financial shenanigans, or something as fun as The Informant! which was Soderbergh's own corporate disorder comedy based on real life events.

While Gary Oldman and Antonio Banderas are good value as Mossack and Fonseca, narrating in a variety of ridiculous tuxedos, most of the film is just really boring.  The events depicted are either not shocking enough, or not funny enough and the whole thing fails to come together in any meaningful way.

A wasted opportunity.

3/10

I haven't seen the Laundromat but it's not easy to make a good film about such topics, this is why The Big Short should be much more appreciated than it is.

50 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Wind River   6.2/10 Slow and plodding, showing the landscape and building the drama for the first 80 minutes. Then just goes crazy for the last 15 minutes. Bit of a miss-match which is a shame.

How dare you?!

Wind River was at least 8!

thumb_show.php?i=kmq2zxcq

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

I haven't seen the Laundromat but it's not easy to make a good film about such topics, this is why The Big Short should be much more appreciated than it is.

The Big Short is a great film. Easily Steve Carells best performance. 

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

is The Big Short unappreciated. It’s well-loved on here.

17 minutes ago, Anubis said:

is The Big Short unappreciated. It’s well-loved on here.

I didn't say that it was unappreciated. We had a debate on here as far as I recall, something along the lines of is it better than the Wolf of Wall Street. 

I don't know if anyone does "film nights" but The Big Short, Margin Call and 99 Homes would make an amazing triple bill showing the same crisis from three different perspectives. Margin Call shows it from the perspective of the big players, The Big Short shows it from the perspective of people who are some way into the system but still relative outsiders. 99 Homes shows it from the perspective of the people who really suffered; the systems outsiders.