You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Anna. 7/10. Luc Besson revisits La Femme Nikita/The Assassin, but this time uses a Russian protagonist, plays with the timeline, and adds a few well-worn twists. Entertaining enough with some good action set-pieces, but nothing we haven’t seen before.

Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark - 5/10. Horror stories for kids set in 1968 which tries to intertwine its supernatural monsters with the real monsters of the time such as Nixon, Vietnam and the treatment of mental patients. Unsuccessfully. In truth, most of the monsters aren’t that scary, even for kids, except The Jangly Man, who will no doubt have sent some little cherubs away with recurring nightmares. Points for not guaranteeing the safety of its protagonists. Points off for weak script and performances.

I watched a creepy 1950s British horror film the other night - Night of the Demon.

It was quite good, although a bit ruined by actually showing the demon (which was shit).

Fun fact - This film is the source of the introductory shout on Kate Bush's Hounds of Love ("It's coming! It's in the trees!")

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Spiderman Fart From Home - Great action sequences and decent story but just seemed a little bit too teen based. Much preferred the Sony version Into The Spiderverse. 7/10.

Yeah, the script was full of wind. Into the Spiderverse was a tooting good watch. 

Joaquin Phoenix double bill

You Were Never Really Here - Small, almost arthouse pic with Phoenix as a suicidal hitman who saves kids from child traffickers. Only 90 minutes long, stylishly shot but I confess I didn't get the reviews of it as a masterpiece of cinema. I found it ponderous at times, too arty for it's own good and it left me cold. I'm sure I could read plenty on why it's so highly rated but it just did nothing for me. One of those films where the form does more for the critics than the audience. 6 out of 10

Joker - AKA Ladybird book of Taxi Driver. Miserable film lacking in the subtlety of the Scorsese films it so liberally borrows from. It straddles a very fine line between seeking empathy and pity for the main character, which is why it possibly gathered some worried press. Didn't do enough of the homework to explain why the 'kill the rich' uprising happened so fast or why Gotham's system was so broken. Very intense, physical performance from Phoenix but there isn't a lot to hang a film on here. Decent but 65% of it is just so miserable that I found it a bit bland; starts to get interesting but then it's over too quick. 6.5 out of 10.

• Upvote 2

The Day Shall Come.

Chris Morris's latest 'terrorist' film. Stylistically similar to Four Lions. But supplanted into modern day Miami. A mentally unbalanced Black Islamist wannabe messiah gets embroiled into the FBI's machinations. Its a funny film. And if viewed as such, with no research into the facts t's a solid 7/10 satire.

I subsequently found out it is based on actual entrapment techniques used by the US government to indefinitely jail non-white 'radicals'.  In that light its a damning indictment of how far the leaders if the 'free world' will go to perpetuate the idea of the boogey-man to shit-up a white western consumerist society. 

For that alone it's a must-watch film. 9.11/10

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RedKnight said:

Joaquin Phoenix double bill

You Were Never Really Here - Small, almost arthouse pic with Phoenix as a suicidal hitman who saves kids from child traffickers. Only 90 minutes long, stylishly shot but I confess I didn't get the reviews of it as a masterpiece of cinema. I found it ponderous at times, too arty for it's own good and it left me cold. I'm sure I could read plenty on why it's so highly rated but it just did nothing for me. One of those films where the form does more for the critics than the audience. 6 out of 10

Couldn't agree more with this, although probably a 4 or 5 out of 10 for me.

Border

Swedish film about a border official with an incredible sense of smell, but that doesn't even come close to describing what this wild film is about.

Dark, dirty, very unsettling but curiously captivating; very interested to see what other people make of this.

6/10 Venom on Kodi

Roma

Best picture Oscar from 2 years ago. I tried to watch this 3 times previously but never managed to get past the first 10 minutes, so really pleased that this time I persevered because Roma is a brilliant beautiful beguiling film, full of humour and heartbreak.

2.5 hours, in Spanish, in black and white, Roma  tells the story of Mexican housemaid Chloe and of the family she works for.  The film is beautiful to look at and has some incredible tracking shots throughout.

For those of you who like foreign language films or just great emotive story telling with some great acting then you should love this.

9/10 Venom  Kodi

John Wick 3, 4/10

I watched the first film and thought it was fun, then the second film which was a little less fun and I thought they were probably just cashing in with the sequel. So I put off watching the third because as with a lot of films that they continue to milk, they just get worse. 

So switch off brain and try to just enjoy the relentless killing. Well I didn’t, it felt like one of those arcade games, operation wolf or something. Enemies just appearing from nowhere in waves and dying in droves. Many bringing knives to a gunfight and that annoying waiting in turn to fight. And how many fucking assassins are there in that city, surely there can’t be work for them all. And if they’re throwing millions around for hits, try getting a decent computer system and displays, fucking chalk boards and plotters, it’s like something out of world war 2. What a gigantic piece of turd the whole premise is, who wrote this Reeves? 

I knew the plot holes would be massive, christ I’m doing it a service saying it has a plot. I knew I would have to suspend my disbelief, I know Reeves can’t act for toffee, I know it’s just mindless killing, but the film was dreadful. I was so bored with the fighting that when we finally got to the big baddie ( who was fucking shit by the way) I sped forward until he was killed. Spoiler they’ve left us set up for a 4th which I certainly won’t be watching. 

I’ve had to watch the Aladdin remake 8 times so far with my granddaughter and I’d watch that again any time than this utter shit arcade game of a film.