You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Hail Satan? Great documentary about The Satanic Temple and modern satanists - no, it's not at all like Rosemary's Baby; most don't believe in Satan and spend their time challenging violations of religious freedom by campaigning for a statue of Baphomet being erected on the same site as 10 commandment monuments (which were originally promotions for the Cecil B Demille film). Parts of this are hilarious - same sex couples kissing over graves to turn the dead gay (it was a wind up). 8/10

• Upvote 1

It Part 2 (Downloaded from the web with Korean hardcoded subs).

Twas alright but no better than that. There was no real sense of fear or menace. This is partly because the characters are now grown up and things such as creepy old houses are terrifying to children but not to adults and hence much of the childhood fear of growing up into an unknown and scary world has gone. There is too much CGI. The clown is not as scary as Tim Robins. For a film that lasts 2 hours and 40 minutes there is a surprising lack of things going on. It is a series of vaguely connected attempts at cheap scares.

5/10

On 06/10/2019 at 01:24, sir roger said:

Mrs. had that La La Land on the telly , seemed very twee , not much evidence of why it did well at the Oscars.

I enjoyed it when it came out despite always avoiding musicals, watched it again a couple of months ago, enjoyed it even more. It's one of the best films of the past decade.

And it did well at the Oscars because it's also about the lives of people who vote for the Oscars.

• Upvote 1

On 06/10/2019 at 00:24, sir roger said:

Mrs. had that La La Land on the telly , seemed very twee , not much evidence of why it did well at the Oscars.

It was a well crafted bit of nostalgia, harkening back to the era when musical cinema was popular.

Guest Pistonbroke

Any decent Films on Netflix/Prime (new releases)? 

Only been watching series since about Feb, so fancy getting a few Films in. 

Drishyam (watched on Netflix)

Indian film about a family that goes to extraordinary lengths to cover up an accident.

The slo-mo scenes with tense music were just preposterous.

Was a good film despite that, but I'm docking half a point because of the above.

Also nearly 3 hours long, which may put some off.

7.5/10

Joker - amazing performance by Joaquin Phoenix. Very dark and quite slow paced.

Musical score by same composer who did Chernobyl is also very sinister and adds to the atmosphere of the film. Some people have said it’s trying too hard to be a serious film. So what?

Its no bad thing. One of those films where you’ll either love it or hate it. I really enjoyed it. 9/10

Guest Pistonbroke

Prisoners. Agree with the 8/10 reviews. A well paced thriller with suspense to spare. Hugh Jackman is very good in it and the acting all round is pretty good. 

Mute. 5.5/10

I really tried to like this film as it had loads of potential, yet despite some very good acting I just couldn't get into it. It felt like a patchwork quilt of a film, thrown together without much thought to consistency. It's by no means shit, but it just ends up being a film you'll follow to the end after investing time in it.  

On 07/10/2019 at 18:56, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

See above.

Also watched Prisoners on Netflix which I gave an 8/10 on previous page.

Is that the one from 2013? I thought it was pretty decent too but had no idea Hugh Jackman was in it.To be honest I barely know who he is beyond the name. Don Johnson was good as the prison warden too.

Capernaum

Lebanese film about a little 12 year old kid who goes to prison and then sues his parents for bringing him into a world of unrelenting misery and lovelessness.

The back story is incredible, the acting even better, the little lad who plays Zain is seriously, seriously incredible and the final shot of the film absolutely floored me. Haven't felt this way about a film since Lion, perhaps Capernaum is even more affecting due to the stellar performances by a cast of amateurs.

Highly, highly recommended, majestic movie making.

10/10 Exodus Redux on Kodi

Thanks to @SammyAftershave and @1892-LFCWasBorn for the recommendation, cheers lads. 

Edited by Carvalho Diablo

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Is that the one from 2013? I thought it was pretty decent too but had no idea Hugh Jackman was in it.To be honest I barely know who he is beyond the name. Don Johnson was good as the prison warden too.

Are you confusing this with Brawl In Cell Block 99, and confusing Hugh Jackman with Vince Vaughn?

57 minutes ago, skend04 said:

It's time we renamed this thread "The films Vlad doesn't like and the actors he's not heard of". To be fair we could rename the TV show one similarly too.

On a similar theme any threads about birds could be 'Which ones Vlad thinks have fake tits & which ones he reckons look under age.' & the trainer ones 'Vlad thinks these are all shit.'.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Anubis said:

Are you confusing this with Brawl In Cell Block 99, and confusing Hugh Jackman with Vince Vaughn?

I know who Vince Vaughn is,of course,but I was thinking of Brawl in Cell Block 99 and I have also seen Dragged Across Concrete recently too,so a bit of a Vince Vaughn overload. I will have to put Prisoners on my watchlist now.

4 hours ago, Mook said:

On a similar theme any threads about birds could be 'Which ones Vlad thinks have fake tits & which ones he reckons look under age.' & the trainer ones 'Vlad thinks these are all shit.'.

I stand by fake tits and skinny teenagers one though. More signs of a mental illness though.

• Upvote 1