You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

On 07/09/2019 at 20:39, Doctor Troy said:

Once upon a time in Hollywood. 6/10. 

Very disappointed in it but I've mainly liked it due to the sets and the authenticity of the time. 

The Bruce Lee scene was a bit disrespectful to him saying  he would cripple Muhammad Ali and making him out to be a total knobhead. Every time I've seen Bruce Lee interviews and documentaries hes always come across as professional and views fighting as an art form or technique that needs to be mastered, not doing it because he likes kicking people's heads in. 

The Manson family were barely in it and Manson himself is in only one scene. I was hoping that a Tarantino version of Manson would be a sight to behold. Damian Lewis looks and sounds fuck all like Steve McQueen.

Some of the scenes went on for ages and were completely unnecessary, just basically talking about fuck all, yet he cut Tim Roth completely out of the film. I think his editor who worked on all his other films died last year or the year before so maybe that has had an effect on this film.

Tarantino must have spent the majority of his life watching almost any film but wants everyone to be in awe of his encyclopedia in his brain about random 1960s Italian art films. 

Brad Pitt, Kurt Russell and Di Caprio were good in it. Pity Margot Robbie barely has anything to do apart from be the pretty blonde girl who everyone is waiting 3 hours for her to be stabbed to death.

Spoiler alert.

• Upvote 1

The new Aladdin with Will Smith.

It was alright actually. Preferred it to the snooze fest that is the new Lion King.

Naomi Scott, who plays Jasmine, is stunning. Shame she didn’t have a few more of the animated Jasmine’s costumes. Not sure why she spoke with an American accent though. 

IT - Chapter 2   6.5/10

Not as good as the first, the chemistry between the actors (even the kids) this time around didn't work as well. Felt like there was something missing.

Also suffered from being 20 or so minutes too long. 2hrs 49 seemed a slog at times and at times very, very slow paced. 

Some unsettling moments just not executed as well.

Not bad, just didn't quite reach the heights of the first film for me. Was nice to see some moments from the book making it but missing some other crucial ones.

On 08/09/2019 at 11:04, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Parasite

Best film I've watched this year and one of the best I've watched this decade.

So cleverly done and just fucking brilliant in every sense.

Restored my faith in filmmaking.

I think I'm going to stay away from Hollywood guff from now on as most of it has has gone so stale and has fuck all creativity/originality.

9.5/10

Is this the Korean film about the family if con-artists? If so, then I've just watched it (based entirely upon your recommendation) and loved it too.

Best film I've seen in a long time, really really good.

9/10 Exodus Redux on Kodi

Incidentally, speaking of Korean films, have you seen The Handmaiden ? Awesome film, very different but perhaps even better imo?

Thanks for the heads up mate.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Is this the Korean film about the family if con-artists? If so, then I've just watched it (based entirely upon your recommendation) and loved it too.

Best film I've seen in a long time, really really good.

9/10 Exodus Redux on Kodi

Incidentally, speaking of Korean films, have you seen The Handmaiden ? Awesome film, very different but perhaps even better imo?

Thanks for the heads up mate.

Yes same film. Glad you enjoyed it.

That's what this place is all about. Finding gems and recommending it to others.

Yes watched The Handmaiden too. There have been some cracking Korean films over the years.

There's a Chinese film called 'The Farewell' which I posted in the upcoming films thread coming out in 10 days. Mixture of both English and Chinese spoken.

Supposed to be boss and quite a few 'dust in eye' moments.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Juniper said:

IT - Chapter 2   6.5/10

Not as good as the first, the chemistry between the actors (even the kids) this time around didn't work as well. Felt like there was something missing.

Also suffered from being 20 or so minutes too long. 2hrs 49 seemed a slog at times and at times very, very slow paced. 

Some unsettling moments just not executed as well.

Not bad, just didn't quite reach the heights of the first film for me. Was nice to see some moments from the book making it but missing some other crucial ones.

That's fair.

I enjoyed it but it wasn't as good as the first.

They are making a new adaptation of The Stand, (TV series) which for me is Stephen King's best book so hopefully it'll be good. Pound for pound, his works have produced the best filmography of any writer.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Elite said:

That's fair.

I enjoyed it but it wasn't as good as the first.

They are making a new adaptation of The Stand, (TV series) which for me is Stephen King's best book so hopefully it'll be good. Pound for pound, his works have produced the best filmography of any writer.

The Stands great, that and IT have to be up there with my favourite books of his.

There are some decent adaptations but some proper turkeys also. I’d not put that down to his films ‘not being very adaptable’ (as many have claimed in the past) I guess it’s more to do with the sheer amount of books he’s written and you’re bound to get many a bad adaptation as a result.

His body of work is unreal and Id love to see a film of both Joyland and Duma Key. Loved those books also. 

Still can’t believe I’ve not seen the Mr Mercedes TV series yet. Only found out about that one the other day. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Juniper said:

The Stands great, that and IT have to be up there with my favourite books of his.

There are some decent adaptations but some proper turkeys also. I’d not put that down to his films ‘not being very adaptable’ (as many have claimed in the past) I guess it’s more to do with the sheer amount of books he’s written and you’re bound to get many a bad adaptation as a result.

His body of work is unreal and Id love to see a film of both Joyland and Duma Key. Loved those books also. 

Still can’t believe I’ve not seen the Mr Mercedes TV series yet. Only found out about that one the other day. 

I've not seen that either, it's on the list.

On 08/09/2019 at 11:04, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Parasite

Best film I've watched this year and one of the best I've watched this decade.

So cleverly done and just fucking brilliant in every sense.

Restored my faith in filmmaking.

I think I'm going to stay away from Hollywood guff from now on as most of it has has gone so stale and has fuck all creativity/originality.

9.5/10

Just watched this on your and Carvalho's recommendation- absolutely superb film, by turns hilarious, brilliantly tense and very moving. Loved every minute of it- 9/10. 

• Upvote 1

Spiderman - Into the Spider-Verse

The best Spidey film I've watched and up there with the best animation flicks ever produced.

Visually stunning (watch in 4k if you can). Wonderful storyline. Just brilliantly done with great humour throughout. Boss music in it too like Biggie's Hypnotise.

Close to perfection as you can get.

9.5/10

The wife was watching one called Gods of Egypt on tv on Saturday night and from the bits I looked up at it seemed the most execrable film I had ever had the bad fortune to watch even fleetingly. Starring Gerard Butler, Jaime Lannister and pathetic CGI, I was cheered to see a still from it on a clickbait advert stating ' Worst movie flops of all time' on the Guardian website.

Sicario: Day of the Soldado - Disappointing sequel that takes out most of the style of the original and adds in a higher endorsement of the right wing politics that Sicario had such disdain for. Removing the Emily Blunt character, and her POV, makes it more a straightforward tale of cartels and the 'bad-asses' who try to catch them. There's no moral reprimand for Josh Brolin's character as there was in the first movie and no sympathetic character save for the kidnapped daughter of the cartel boss.

Much like Gomorrah's transfer from book to movie to TV lost some of the critical points (though there's no glamour of any of the characters in Gomorrah, just sometimes undue sympathy) so does this sequel take a steeper dive. Still well shot and interesting enough, it's just a big step down from the brilliant original. 6 out of 10.