You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

I honestly don't know how to rate it. As has been said, very stylish, some decent dialogue and a good soundtrack as is usual for Tarantino films. Some good scenes in it but some scenes that just weren't needed. Went on 40 minutes too long and thats not like it should have ended 40 minutes before the end but loads of 'yawn' bits could have been cut out. Got to be honest I did like the ending and won't use any spoilers but it did make me laugh even though it was typically brutal. 

Brad Pitt played his role brilliantly to be fair and he is a decent actor even though of course he is limited to certain roles. 

I'll watch it again and I wouldn't go as low as 1/10 but probably no-more than a 6.5. As a Tarantino fan I picked up on a lot of them little details that he throws in that remind you of his other films. Antonio Margaretti for example. 

Massive lack of chebs though even though there was a 5 minute scene at the playboy mansion. Didn't see a single pair. 

I'll rate it properly after I've seen it again. 

Hunter Killer

Gerard Butler captaining an American submarine that goes to rescue another one in the Barents Sea then all of a sudden ends up on a mission to rescue the Russian President from a coup. II Know!) Something I would normally avoid like the plague, a bit like films like London is Falling kind of gung-ho yanky bollocks. It actually wasn't too bad for what it is. Far fetched of course but I didn't mind it. Killed a bit of time. 5.5/10 for sheer bollocks but some suspense and fun (ish) to watch. I've seen worse on Netflix. 

Two more films that have completely passed me by. Cant believe I'd never watched them before.

A Time To Kill

Samuel L Jackson, Matthew Mcconaughey, Kevin Spacey and Sandra Bullock. Absolutely brilliant and horrifying at the same time. Reminds me very much of Mississippi Burning. The final speech in the court is unbelievable. Also got Donald and Kiefer Sutherland in it. 8/10. 

Captain Wilsons War

Tom Hanks. What a fucking film! Just finished it and thoroughly enjoyed every single scene. Based on a true story as well. Its on Netflix, if you haven't seen it get this watched. Was pissing myself throughout (Mainly at Seymour-Hoffman).

9 surface to air anti-aircraft missiles out of /10. 

45 minutes ago, Boss said:

Anyone looking forward to seeing The Irishman? 

There's also a new Joon-Ho Bong movie called Parasite that's meant to be really good.

Parasite is excellent. Reviewed by yours truly in this very thread.

I’ll watch The Irishman with low expectations I reckon. 

18 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Parasite is excellent. Reviewed by yours truly in this very thread.

I’ll watch The Irishman with low expectations I reckon. 

I'm going to check it out on the basis of your review. Big fan of Memories of Murder and The Host so looking forward to it.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Two more films that have completely passed me by. Cant believe I'd never watched them before.

A Time To Kill

Samuel L Jackson, Matthew Mcconaughey, Kevin Spacey and Sandra Bullock. Absolutely brilliant and horrifying at the same time. Reminds me very much of Mississippi Burning. The final speech in the court is unbelievable. Also got Donald and Kiefer Sutherland in it. 8/10. 

Captain Wilsons War

Tom Hanks. What a fucking film! Just finished it and thoroughly enjoyed every single scene. Based on a true story as well. Its on Netflix, if you haven't seen it get this watched. Was pissing myself throughout (Mainly at Seymour-Hoffman).

9 surface to air anti-aircraft missiles out of /10. 

Is that Charlie Wilson's War? And wasn't he an absolute cunt in real life anyway?

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Is that Charlie Wilson's War? And wasn't he an absolute cunt in real life anyway?

Yes it was sorry my mistake. Ive read through his wikipedia after the film and apart from his love of women and whisky it seems he died an all american hero. Sorted out the weapons for the afghans to beat the russians. 

So no for the first part and yes for the second maybe. Who knows, who cares?? just watch it will you. 

On 04/09/2019 at 23:12, Bjornebye said:

A Time To Kill

“Can you see her?”

On 07/08/2019 at 14:05, Total Longo said:

Ordinary Decent Criminal, with Kevin Spacey. I'd watched and enjoyed The General last month (about the life of Irish crim Martin Cahill ) so i thought i'd give this a go, as it is "loosely" based on Cahill's life. 

Not going to lie, it's up there with the worst films i've ever seen. Spacey, Stephen Dillane and Linda Fiorentino's Irish accents were grim, Spacey wandered around wearing the same smug expression for the whole film and it nobody quibbled with the fact that he was married to both Fiorentino and Helen Baxendale, who were coincidentally sisters. The most jarring aspect was the complete lack of plot and acting. An absolute mess. 2/10 (and that is solely because Helen Baxendale used to be gorgeous)    

The General is a great, great film.

Ordinary Decent Criminal is a shambles. Spacey's accent may just be the worst crime he has ever committed.

On 30/08/2019 at 22:38, Section_31 said:

Once upon a time in Hollywood. 1/10. Probably the most boring film I've ever seen, just mindblowingly bad. The guy is so up his own arse he's a parody of himself. 

High concept, stylish, A listers, but no - zero - plot at all, with the obligatory five minute scene of random and extreme violence. I'm actually shellshocked at how bad it was.

Tarantino is probably in the same boat as George Lucas. They become so famous that they can't be told they're wrong. They write, produce and direct unchallenged and the ramifications are self indulgent and somewhat delusional shitness.

Agree with every word. I'd go 2/10 purely because I thought DiCaprio and Pitt's acting was great.

Boring, self indulgent, style over substance shite. Can't believe there are people out there saying it's brilliant. Truly awful. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, dave u said:

Agree with every word. I'd go 2/10 purely because I thought DiCaprio and Pitt's acting was great.

Boring, self indulgent, style over substance shite. Can't believe there are people out there saying it's brilliant. Truly awful. 

I genuinely did enjoy it. It is self-indulgent but worked for me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Chatting shit there skipper. It was a 6, not brilliant but not a 2 at all. 

• Upvote 1

Once upon a time in Hollywood. 6/10. 

Very disappointed in it but I've mainly liked it due to the sets and the authenticity of the time. 

The Bruce Lee scene was a bit disrespectful to him saying  he would cripple Muhammad Ali and making him out to be a total knobhead. Every time I've seen Bruce Lee interviews and documentaries hes always come across as professional and views fighting as an art form or technique that needs to be mastered, not doing it because he likes kicking people's heads in. 

The Manson family were barely in it and Manson himself is in only one scene. I was hoping that a Tarantino version of Manson would be a sight to behold. Damian Lewis looks and sounds fuck all like Steve McQueen.

Some of the scenes went on for ages and were completely unnecessary, just basically talking about fuck all, yet he cut Tim Roth completely out of the film. I think his editor who worked on all his other films died last year or the year before so maybe that has had an effect on this film.

Tarantino must have spent the majority of his life watching almost any film but wants everyone to be in awe of his encyclopedia in his brain about random 1960s Italian art films. 

Brad Pitt, Kurt Russell and Di Caprio were good in it. Pity Margot Robbie barely has anything to do apart from be the pretty blonde girl who everyone is waiting 3 hours for her to be stabbed to death.

12 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Some of the scenes went on for ages and were completely unnecessary, just basically talking about fuck all, yet he cut Tim Roth completely out of the film. I think his editor who worked on all his other films died last year or the year before so maybe that has had an effect on this film.

Sally Menke and she died in 2010, the last thing she worked on was Inglorious Bastards and I think it definitely has shown in what he's made since. 

Parasite

Best film I've watched this year and one of the best I've watched this decade.

So cleverly done and just fucking brilliant in every sense.

Restored my faith in filmmaking.

I think I'm going to stay away from Hollywood guff from now on as most of it has has gone so stale and has fuck all creativity/originality.

9.5/10

• Upvote 2

Rocketman 7.5/10

A bit superficial, felt it could/should have delved deeper into his demons and the relationships he had, both business and personal. 

But was still a very enjoyable feel good movie. 

Was a bit surprised with pinball wizard used in the soundtrack even though it’s an ace song.