You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

12 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Death Wish (The 2018 remake with Bruce willis).

Load of arse. Yet another one of those 'Taken' style films released every year with the vigilante father. Eli Roth directing so for some reason I thought this would be good. Obviously you can't replicate the grit of a 70's movie but fucking hell this was about as gritty as Monsters Inc. Bruce Willis unconvincing and its got the fat bizzie off Breaking Bad pretty much playing himself. Elizabeth Shue is in it but gets killed right near the start which immediately pissed me off. I didn't even know this film existed until I was scrolling through Netflix last night. No surprise it went under the radar. Charles Bronson will be turning in his grave. 

2 "do you believe in Jesus's" out of 10 "well now you're gonna need hims" 

Have you seen the original?

Charles Bronson couldn't act to save himself & the only redeeming feature is Herbie Hancock's soundtrack.

Mystic River 7.5/10

Really enjoyed this, thought for some reason it was a court drama. Turns out it’s a film about justice on the streets of Boston. 

Really enjoyed it. Wasn’t what I expected at all and I’d love to see a sequel where Shaun Penns character gets a kicking.

2 minutes ago, Juniper said:

Mystic River 7.5/10

Really enjoyed this, thought for some reason it was a court drama. Turns out it’s a film about justice on the streets of Boston. 

Really enjoyed it. Wasn’t what I expected at all and I’d love to see a sequel where Shaun Penns character gets a kicking.

I reckon Mystic River is arguably the greatest film of the last 20 years.

It stands up to repeat views so give it another go sometime & your score might go up.

• Upvote 2

Hereditary 5/10

Pretty decent enough thriller/horror but the ending/reveal wasn’t very well put together or built up to enough.

Toni Collette was really, really good in this and I can see why a lot of people wanted her to be nominated for an academy award, despite this being a horror.

The soundtrack was absolutely brilliant, it really added to the tenseness plus some really clever cinematography but the ending severely let the film down for me.  

4 minutes ago, Mook said:

It stands up to repeat views so give it another go sometime & your score might go up.

Yeah it's fucking boss.

Sleepers is another cracker of the same ilk.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Mook said:

I watched it on a long train journey with a group of screaming kids sat just behind me so that probably had an effect.

May have to go back in for another viewing at some stage as I did enjoy it.

• Upvote 1

Mystic river is a great film. The book it’s based on by Dennis Lehane is also great. Gone baby gone, based on another Lehane book, is also a very good film. If you haven’t seen that then it’s definitely worth a watch. 

I saw Hereditary at the cinema and thought it was shit but then couldn’t stop thinking about it for a couple of weeks afterwards so it must have got under my skin a little.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Have you seen the original?

Charles Bronson couldn't act to save himself & the only redeeming feature is Herbie Hancock's soundtrack.

Yes but at least you believed he was hard as fuck. Wasn't a classic film of course but far far better than the Willis shite I watched. 

Tears of the Sun. Another Bruce Willis film I watched earlier. Actually thought it was good. 7/10. 

Once upon a time in Hollywood - 9/10

An hour into this I was enjoying the quirky movie scenes and character interactions but thinking where's it going? But it builds like a crescendo and the pay-off is spectacular, it's a masterclass in character development. Add to the mix brilliant performances from DiCaprio and Pitt, a wonderful soundtrack and some great cameos. I left the cinema feeling like I'd just watch something uniquely special which doesn't happen very often.

I'm a bit of a Tarantino fanboy (Though not keen on a few of his films like Kill Bill and The Hateful Eight) but he's added another cracker to his body of work.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Elite said:

Once upon a time in Hollywood - 9/10

An hour into this I was enjoying the quirky movie scenes and character interactions but thinking where's it going? But it builds like a crescendo and the pay-off is spectacular, it's a masterclass in character development. Add to the mix brilliant performances from DiCaprio and Pitt, a wonderful soundtrack and some great cameos. I left the cinema feeling like I'd just watch something uniquely special which doesn't happen very often.

I'm a bit of a Tarantino fanboy (Though not keen on a few of his films like Kill Bill and The Hateful Eight) but he's added another cracker to his body of work.

The Kill Bill films are brilliant. Proper Tarantino. So no, you aren't a Tarantino fan-boy. You are a closet homo with a poster of either Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs that someone (probably an older cousin who you look up too) left you and it holds sentiment so you feel like you should like his films. You do but not as much as you say. 

Tell me.... Do you like feet Charlie Brown? 

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Positives:

Pitt and DiCaprio are both brilliant, as are the cameos from Bruce Dern and Margot Robie. The casting and make up were equally as good; Damian Lewis as Steve McQueen and Dewey Crowe as Charlie Manson both sensational.

The film is  luxy and lustrous,  dirty and sweaty simultaneously, no mean feat. The soundtrack is typical Tarantino, sensational.

Negatives:

Speaking of "typical Tarantino", the film is easily 90 minutes too long, the narrative is a fractured abomination, the film again is overly verbose (and re-watchability will suffer like all of his films do, because of that) and the incredible ending (where Tarantino just tears up the rule book and the history book, like he did to a far lesser degree in Inglorious Basterds) is (given the subject matter) morally repugnant.

And I loved it!

QT is so comfortable in his own skin that he clearly does not give a fuck, and I love that. OUATIH is a glorious shitfest of a movie, more pulp fiction than Pulp Fiction.

I view Tarantino as a great movie maker rather than a maker of great movies and OUATIH is further evidence of that.

6.5/10 and I loved it. Can't say that about too many other films.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

The Kill Bill films are brilliant. Proper Tarantino. So no, you aren't a Tarantino fan-boy. You are a closet homo with a poster of either Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs that someone (probably an older cousin who you look up too) left you and it holds sentiment so you feel like you should like his films. You do but not as much as you say. 

I hated Kill Bill but love everything else by Tarantino.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

giphy (5).gif

• Upvote 1

Tiger Bay - 9/10

It's a bit dated in several ways, but it's exactly the kind of film I wish there was more of.  Vital performances (touch melodramatic in places), great locations, morally ambiguous characters developed through action and interaction, a simple inciting incident and a complex resolution that climaxes with a redemptive act.  Brilliant. Fucking brilliant.

Simple idea, realised perfectly.  Wouldn't be the same if it was set in a different place or a different time either.

edit:  also all on youtube

• Upvote 1

On 24/08/2019 at 00:08, Jose Jones said:

John Wick

The action is unimaginative and dull, the characters have zero dimension, there’s no intrigue or tension or even a hint of humour. The puppy is cute. Apparently this film is quite popular, but beats me as to why.

3/10

I felt the same way, but then again i own two beagles. 

On 23/08/2019 at 09:09, Carvalho Diablo said:

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Positives:

Pitt and DiCaprio are both brilliant, as are the cameos from Bruce Dern and Margot Robie. The casting and make up were equally as good; Damian Lewis as Steve McQueen and Dewey Crowe as Charlie Manson both sensational.

The film is  luxy and lustrous,  dirty and sweaty simultaneously, no mean feat. The soundtrack is typical Tarantino, sensational.

Negatives:

Speaking of "typical Tarantino", the film is easily 90 minutes too long, the narrative is a fractured abomination, the film again is overly verbose (and re-watchability will suffer like all of his films do, because of that) and the incredible ending (where Tarantino just tears up the rule book and the history book, like he did to a far lesser degree in Inglorious Basterds) is (given the subject matter) morally repugnant.

And I loved it!

QT is so comfortable in his own skin that he clearly does not give a fuck, and I love that. OUATIH is a glorious shitfest of a movie, more pulp fiction than Pulp Fiction.

I view Tarantino as a great movie maker rather than a maker of great movies and OUATIH is further evidence of that.

6.5/10 and I loved it. Can't say that about too many other films.

A good post. Although I didn't love it that much and would give it a higher score. 8/10.

Once upon a time in Hollywood. 1/10. Probably the most boring film I've ever seen, just mindblowingly bad. The guy is so up his own arse he's a parody of himself. 

High concept, stylish, A listers, but no - zero - plot at all, with the obligatory five minute scene of random and extreme violence. I'm actually shellshocked at how bad it was.

Tarantino is probably in the same boat as George Lucas. They become so famous that they can't be told they're wrong. They write, produce and direct unchallenged and the ramifications are self indulgent and somewhat delusional shitness.

• Upvote 1

On 28/08/2019 at 15:51, rubble-rouser said:

Black Mass - 7/10. 

It felt like I'd seen every scene before in countless other mob movies. The characterisation was too weak. A missed opportunity. 

It's amazing how sometimes they seem to take a really interesting story like his life and somehow manage to make it seem pretty dull. 

11 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Once upon a time in Hollywood. 1/10. Probably the most boring film I've ever seen, just mindblowingly bad. The guy is so up his own arse he's a parody of himself. 

High concept, stylish, A listers, but no - zero - plot at all, with the obligatory five minute scene of random and extreme violence. I'm actually shellshocked at how bad it was.

Tarantino is probably in the same boat as George Lucas. They become so famous that they can't be told they're wrong. They write, produce and direct unchallenged and the ramifications are self indulgent and somewhat delusional shitness.

I said much the same with the Hateful 8 or whatever it was called, I couldn't even finish it I was so fucking bored.

If anyone other than Tarantino produced it then it would get fucking slated, proper Emperors Clothes situation with him now.