You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

15 hours ago, Tj hooker said:

Just watched The Cinderella Man a life story about the boxer James J Braddock on a recommendation from a mate .

Russel Crowe is excellent in it and it's directed by Ron Howard probably one of his earliest films 8.5 /10 

You must have Howard mixed up with someone else, I think he made more than a dozen films before Cinderella Man.  A Beautiful Mind, Apollo 13, many others. Cocoon I see is from '85.

I've seen three music based films in the last three weeks - Yesterday, Pavarotti, and Blinded By The Light.   And Rocket Man a month or so earlier.

Rocket Man wins, followed by the Pavarotti doc. Yesterday was very Richard Curtis, with Ed Sheeran taking the piss out of himself as a small saving grace, and Blinded By The Light was predictably a remake of Bend It Like Beckham as it was like every other film by Gurinder Chadha.

1 hour ago, Elite said:

Yeah, can't wait for that. Looks brilliant.

I enjoyed it, I was was entertained but 

it wasn’t what I was expecting & I was a bit disappointed.

I was expecting much more of the Manson family & the murders but they were barely in it & Margot Robbie felt like a bit of a waste of a character. I can’t remember any classic Tarentino monologues either

I did enjoy Di Caprio & Pitt’s arcs and there were some funny moments.

I don’t want to give it a score. I need to rewatch it with altered expectations of what the film actually was. It was good but I can’t comment how good.

At the moment I’m feeling like I did after Kill Bill 2, as in it was nothing like I expected, but after rewatches it was probably much, much better than my initial reaction.

• Upvote 1

Papillon. The 2018 one. 

6.5/10. 

To capture everything in the book you would need a 10 hour film. Lots of important stuff missed but still ok nonetheless. I didn't like the original casting when I saw the trailer, Charlie Hunnam  (Jax teller) as Papi and Rami Malek (Freddie Mercury in Bohemian Rhapsody) as Louis Dega. They were fine to be fair and for a change Hunnam didn't massively over-act. I enjoyed it because I love the book so much but its not a scratch on the original movie. Well worth a watch though. 

7 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Papillon. The 2018 one. 

6.5/10. 

To capture everything in the book you would need a 10 hour film. Lots of important stuff missed but still ok nonetheless. I didn't like the original casting when I saw the trailer, Charlie Hunnam  (Jax teller) as Papi and Rami Malek (Freddie Mercury in Bohemian Rhapsody) as Louis Dega. They were fine to be fair and for a change Hunnam didn't massively over-act. I enjoyed it because I love the book so much but its not a scratch on the original movie. Well worth a watch though. 

Just watch Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman's masterpiece and forget any others.

Once upon a time in Hollywood. Bonkers. 7.5/10. Worth watching but it's surprisingly long. Will watch it again at home after seeing in the cinema as I did drift away a couple of times as it is a long story. 

Pulp Fiction - 10/10. Part of daughter’s film education. She was blown away.

Predator - 10/10. See above.

Toy Story 4 - 8.5/10. Dad and daughter day today and we both loved this when we didn’t expect to. Better than the last one. (We also had a burger at Honest Burgers on Bold St. Fuck me, they’re sensational. Also the rosemary salted chips are amazing but dipped in the beef and bacon gravy - Yes!!! Beef and bacon gravy!!! - they were unreal). 

The Hunted - 8/10. Benicio Del Toro and Tommy Lee Jones in a William Friedkin action/chase movie. Nuff said, surely? If not, it’s all special forces, rogue assassins, martial arts and master vs student stuff. Boss. 

The Book of Eli - 9/10. Post-Apocalyptic story of a lone warrior carrying a precious burden and dealing with a lunatic who wants to steal it. Denzel is charismatic as fuck, Gary Oldman is suitably manic and the film looks great. Plus the action sequences are sound. Love this film.  

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Paul said:

Pulp Fiction - 10/10. Part of daughter’s film education. She was blown away.

Predator - 10/10. See above.

Toy Story 4 - 8.5/10. Dad and daughter day today and we both loved this when we didn’t expect to. Better than the last one. (We also had a burger at Honest Burgers on Bold St. Fuck me, they’re sensational. Also the rosemary salted chips are amazing but dipped in the beef and bacon gravy - Yes!!! Beef and bacon gravy!!! - they were unreal). 

How old is she?! 

41 minutes ago, Mendoza said:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood- thoroughly enjoyed it- 8.5/10

I fancied doing a double header with that and Angel Has Fallen (I know, just bubblegum action shite but Olympus and London were guilty pleasures) but having watched the trailer for Hollywood it just looks like the archetypal up it's own arse Hollywood flick with actors and directors yelling at each other. Is it more than that? 

Unacknowledged on Netflix. A documentary about the Disclosure Project. I stumbled upon it and decided to watch it. It starts off being about alien contact and ends up being about dark ops which go beyond the control of governments. It's a bit mental in places, but also does produce undisputed NASA documents and alike which certainly raise a few eyebrows.

It killed 90 minutes, but I wouldn't really recommend it, unless you're into that kind of thing.

Death Wish (The 2018 remake with Bruce willis).

Load of arse. Yet another one of those 'Taken' style films released every year with the vigilante father. Eli Roth directing so for some reason I thought this would be good. Obviously you can't replicate the grit of a 70's movie but fucking hell this was about as gritty as Monsters Inc. Bruce Willis unconvincing and its got the fat bizzie off Breaking Bad pretty much playing himself. Elizabeth Shue is in it but gets killed right near the start which immediately pissed me off. I didn't even know this film existed until I was scrolling through Netflix last night. No surprise it went under the radar. Charles Bronson will be turning in his grave. 

2 "do you believe in Jesus's" out of 10 "well now you're gonna need hims" 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Death Wish (The 2018 remake with Bruce willis).

Load of arse. Yet another one of those 'Taken' style films released every year with the vigilante father. Eli Roth directing so for some reason I thought this would be good. Obviously you can't replicate the grit of a 70's movie but fucking hell this was about as gritty as Monsters Inc. Bruce Willis unconvincing and its got the fat bizzie off Breaking Bad pretty much playing himself. Elizabeth Shue is in it but gets killed right near the start which immediately pissed me off. I didn't even know this film existed until I was scrolling through Netflix last night. No surprise it went under the radar. Charles Bronson will be turning in his grave. 

2 "do you believe in Jesus's" out of 10 "well now you're gonna need hims" 

I saw this in 2018. If Bruce Willis looked bored then I see no reason why I shouldnt as well

• Upvote 1