You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

The Woman in Gold 5/10

Based on the true story of a woman who goes after the Austrians in order to secure the return of some very valuable paintings that were stolen from her family by the Nazis. The paintings were the jewel in the crown of the gallery they hung in and they weren't prepared to let them go without a dirty fight.

Was expecting more from it given the subject the film is based on, and considering the lead was played by Helen Mirren. It came across a bit wishy washy and felt as though it'd been watered down. 

Spider-Man - Far From Home.

I like the Marvel films but I found this somewhat forgettable. It got better once Mysterio real intentions were made clear and could have done with quite a bit more of that Mysterio in it. 

I found the fact they they had the Elemental set piece pretty much exactly the same 3 times pretty annoying (Venice, Prague, London, Spider-Man saves his friends in peril etc etc).

I get that after the emotional heft of Endgame that Marvel probably wanted to follow it up with something light and breezy but, IMO, this is to much the other way. 

Also, JB Smooth was criminally underused. 

5/10. 

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, a 1973 Scorsese effort about a woman trying to make it work for her & her Son after the death of her husband. Thought this was brilliant, full of Scorsese's trademark humour & camerawork with some great tunes & a suitably mental cameo from Harvey Keitel.

Recommended.

• Upvote 1

Watched The Imitation Game on telly the other day.

I thought it was a bit underdone really.  There's an interesting story in there, but the war stuff was not quite gripping enough, there was no real explanation of how his machine worked - a bit more maths would have been good - and the biggest cop out of all was barely touching on the forced castration and his suicide.

6/10

On 24/07/2019 at 02:32, easytoslip said:

Whistle Down The Wind , great, the young kid with his sisters having breakfast and the bully in the playground scene, we know something you don’t know.

Adam Adamant Lives is boss but Frank Marker in Public Eye seems a bit of a cunt. 

Public eye was a fucking brilliant TV show. Frank Marker had reason to be behave as he did which was covered in the original (now lost) B & W episodes. Alfred Burke was a great but underrated actor.

On 05/08/2019 at 01:36, Evelyn Tentions said:

Public eye was a fucking brilliant TV show. Frank Marker had reason to be behave as he did which was covered in the original (now lost) B & W episodes. Alfred Burke was a great but underrated actor.

Yes he was , I wonder what happened to him as I don’t recall him in many films: programmes, just that Private Eye thing , what makes you want to be one ? but to expose ne’er do wells that’s sound.

Ordinary Decent Criminal, with Kevin Spacey. I'd watched and enjoyed The General last month (about the life of Irish crim Martin Cahill ) so i thought i'd give this a go, as it is "loosely" based on Cahill's life. 

Not going to lie, it's up there with the worst films i've ever seen. Spacey, Stephen Dillane and Linda Fiorentino's Irish accents were grim, Spacey wandered around wearing the same smug expression for the whole film and it nobody quibbled with the fact that he was married to both Fiorentino and Helen Baxendale, who were coincidentally sisters. The most jarring aspect was the complete lack of plot and acting. An absolute mess. 2/10 (and that is solely because Helen Baxendale used to be gorgeous)    

• Upvote 1

First man: one of the greatest achievements in history made to look incredibly boring and soulless. Arthouse style wooden acting with indecipherable speeches and the ability to turn everyone into really unpleasant characters.

The only good thing about it is that it puts a nail in the moon landings were faked conspiracy coffin as 50 years later, movie studios still haven’t got the technology to make it look as realistic as the original footage. 

3 fuck you Kubricks out of 10 flat earthers 

• Upvote 1

Rocketman. 6.5/10. 

Not sure why it had to be a bit of a musical and I was expecting far more cocaine and anal scenes if I'm honest. Some very touching moments tough and I am a massive Elton john fan and did shed a tear twice. (Here comes CT with his usual shit joke). I just thought it could have been better done. Plus the fella who played him was about 6ft, Elton John is a tiny little fat fucker. 

Anyway, Elton John is fucking brilliant. 

• Upvote 3

Brightburn 

Take on the Superman tale but instead of becoming a hero the kid turns into a sociopath. Really enjoyed this and quite creepy throughout. 8/10. 

Remake of Aladdin. 

Not as bad as I was expecting. Takes a bit too long to get going but an easy enough watch once it does. Will Smith is also better than I thought he’d be after watching the trailers but not a patch on Robin Williams. 6.5/10. 

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Rocketman. 6.5/10. 

Not sure why it had to be a bit of a musical and I was expecting far more cocaine and anal scenes if I'm honest. Some very touching moments tough and I am a massive Elton john fan and did shed a tear twice. (Here comes CT with his usual shit joke). I just thought it could have been better done. Plus the fella who played him was about 6ft, Elton John is a tiny little fat fucker. 

Anyway, Elton John is fucking brilliant. 

Gay. Which is why you loved it.

Two British psychological horrors:

The Ghoul - copper investigates a burglary where a husband and wife are unaffected when shot six times. Copper goes undercover to investigate but then can't distinguish between his real life and new undercover life and goes round the bend.

Psychotherapy, occult and black magic themes. 85 minutes long. 

Reminded me of a British version of David Lynch's Lost Highway.

7/10. 

A Dark Song - woman rents a house in the country and hires an occultist to help summon her guardian angel/talk to her dead son. The two of them spend almost a year holed up in the house and as time goes on things get weirder and out of hand. 8/10. 

Last Breath

Biopic of a deep sea diving catastrophe which happened a few years ago in the North Sea. With actual footage and commentary from the actual divers themselves.

Affecting, oppressive, and pretty fucking frightening. 

9/10  Highly recommended. Watched on my IPTV VOD service but Kodi is your friend.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Brightburn 

Take on the Superman tale but instead of becoming a hero the kid turns into a sociopath. Really enjoyed this and quite creepy throughout. 8/10. 

Remake of Aladdin. 

Not as bad as I was expecting. Takes a bit too long to get going but an easy enough watch once it does. Will Smith is also better than I thought he’d be after watching the trailers but not a patch on Robin Williams. 6.5/10. 

Same two films. 

Did you watch them through my window?

Same ratings - Certainly Aladdin, was better than I feared. I agree it was an enjoyable rather than tedious 6.5. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Alan Sex said:

Same two films. 

Did you watch them through my window?

Same ratings - Certainly Aladdin, was better than I feared. I agree it was an enjoyable rather than tedious 6.5. 

I’m in your wardrobe watching you Alan. 

Always.

On 05/08/2019 at 00:36, Bjornebye said:

The Red Sea Diving Resort. 8/10

Really good film this. True story about some Israelis rescuing some Ethiopian Jews via a resort they hire in Somalia. Great watch. 

Thought this was pure shite actually. The Ethiopians were a complete afterthought and some of the dialogue belonged in a super hero film.

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

Thought this was pure shite actually. The Ethiopians were a complete afterthought and some of the dialogue belonged in a super hero film.

In Stig's defence, he probably missed half of it with all the crying.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

I watched it on the back of the recommendation. Unfortunately I agree with your assessment.

Won't make that mistake again.