You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Adrift - True life story about a couple who, whilst sailing a boat back to San Diego from Tahiti, get caught up in a hurricane and are left adrift on a boat with no power and dwindling supplies. Even though it's a true story I won't get into plot specifics but Shailene Woodley does well as the lead character who has to do carry most of the film on her own. It's only 97 minutes too, so there's no real drag on the story. 7 out of 10.

A Simple Favour -  Black thriller comedy with Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively. Kendrick's character is asked to pick her new friend's child and the friend promptly vanishes. A little bit Gone Girl, a little bit diet Hitchcock, it's quite fun and Kendrick is a charmingly dorky lead whilst Lively plays the exact opposite. 7.5 out of 10.

Fighting with my Family - Adaptation of Paige's story about he she went from girl from Norwich to WWE women's champion. Quite fun, though knowing much of the story meant that I wasn't surprised or enthralled by the plot. Ends on a high too by not mentioning any of Paige's recent troubles including a leaked multitude of sex tapes, a terrible relationship with an older wrestler and her eventual retirement due to injury. 7 out of 10.

30 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

A Simple Favour -  Black thriller comedy with Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively. Kendrick's character is asked to pick her new friend's child and the friend promptly vanishes. A little bit Gone Girl, a little bit diet Hitchcock, it's quite fun and Kendrick is a charmingly dorky lead whilst Lively plays the exact opposite. 7.5 out of 10.

I remember Blake Lively's arse upstaging the rest of Blake Lively in The Shallows. Do we get to see another powerhouse delivery from this solid performer in this film?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My plan for the afternoon involves eating some  biscuits, watching Archer, walking down to the bank, then off to the barber's and then I'm gonna watch Lord of The Flies.

Has to be the original version too, not some glossy soulless Hollywood remake starring Tom Cruise as Ralph, Jack Black as Piggy, and  Danny fakkin Dyer as The Conch.

Watched a couple of nautical films last night.

A Perfect Storm - Not seen it in years. Still a boss film. Cant believe Clooney was 39 when he was in that. he looks about 50 the bastard. The storm scenes are superb. 7.5/10 

Adrift - Fella meets a girl when travelling and asks her to sail around the world with him on his yacht. It all goes to shit. Based on a true story as well and the girl is played by Shailine Woodley who is absolutely stunning in it. Well before dehydration and stuff sets in. And even then..... 

Surprisingly good film. 7/10 

On 20/07/2019 at 14:50, Scott_M said:

Took our 4 year to see the new Lion King today. 

For her, she was scared anytime Scar or the hyena’s were on the screen but quite enjoyed the bits with Simba & Mustafa and Simba & Timon & Pumba.

My wife and I found it pretty boring. Apart from a couple of needless extra scenes, it’s more or less a frame for frame version of the original. It’s a phenomenal piece of CGI work and the animals look incredible, but I just felt cold by it all, it’s all a bit lifeless & dull. 

After the initial disappointment Jeremy Irons wasn’t Scar again, I did find the actor who did his voice quite good and menacing (I know his name, fucked if I can spell it. The black fella from Dr Strange).

As a 13 year old, I remember going to the cinema with my sister to see the original and this absolutely didn’t harbour any memories of that.

5/10.

Fair summary that. If you have never seen the lion king then it's well worth a watch, if you have seen it then after 5 minutes of being in awe of the cgi it becomes pointless.

12 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Just going to post this as I watched it this morning. 7.5 is a fair assessment.

I like Tom Cruises older films but recent stuff is garbage. Wasn't too keen on his casting but thought he played it brilliantly. He is a much better actor when he doesn't take himself too seriously. First film I've seen him smile in for years and yes, he has still got it.

giphy.gif

34 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

The Third Man was on 4 today, so parked me arse and watched it - Takes a special film to beat a film like this for suspense, atmosphere and the feeling that you've actually watched something special and that felt like it mattered. 

Same here. Classic, and not a superhero or CGI anywhere in sight. 

• Upvote 2

John Wick Chapter 3 - More stellar action from Keanu Reeves but a little bit too long. Enjoyed it all the same. 8 out of 10.

About Time - Richard Curtis movie about a lad who discovers all the men in his family can travel in time. It's a little bit twee, as Curtis' films can be, and there's a few shaky morals to the central premise but Bill Nighy is good value but the film's message is obvious and unsubtle. 5.5 out of 10.

The Day Of The Jackal....9/10 haven't seen it for a good few years but what a superb tense intelligently made film.

I love In The Line Of Fire mainly because of Clint but it comes nowhere near this classic

Roger Ebert sums it up way better than I ever could....

I wasn't prepared for how good it really is: it's not just a suspense classic, but a beautifully executed example of filmmaking. It's put together like a fine watch. The screenplay meticulously assembles an incredible array of material, and then Zinnemann choreographs it so that the story—complicated as it is—unfolds in almost documentary starkness.

• Upvote 2