You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

1 hour ago, redheart said:

Pennywise in the TV Miniseries was a lot scarier than the 2017 movie

I can't really remember the miniseries very well, it must be well over 20 years since I saw it, but I do recall thinking Curry was very cheesy and camp rather than scary.

To be fair, for me Tim Curry's Pennywise was closer to how he was in the book (in appearance and behaviour) but I loved the recent movies version too. Can't wait for the sequel. 

Re-read IT recently and the second time around was just as good.

Such a great coming of age book about childhood, getting older and loosing touch of things. 

The Girl in the Spider's Web - Reboot/sequel to David Fincher's Girl with the Dragon Tattoo which lacks the strong narrative of the original source material or the skill of Fincher behind the camera. So what we're left with is a sub-par James Bond/Jason Bourne sort of deal that's very weak on story. The only strength of it is Claire Foy as Salander, she's good but the rest is very mediocre. 5 out of 10.

Booksmart - Two high school girls who've dedicated their entire school life to work, suddenly realise everyone else did the same and also partied and had a good time. It's pretty fun, though I felt it skewed more to a female audience than me. Both central characters are charming enough and there's not a real antagonistic character in the movie, just different shades of high school kids. 7 out of 10.

1 hour ago, Juniper said:

To be fair, for me Tim Curry's Pennywise was closer to how he was in the book (in appearance and behaviour) but I loved the recent movies version too. Can't wait for the sequel. 

Re-read IT recently and the second time around was just as good.

Such a great coming of age book about childhood, getting older and loosing touch of things. 

It is, yes, which was why I was so disappointed in the new film, as just about all of that got thrown out. You're right about the first series, it's much closer to the book, both in structure and Pennywise's actions. It's a shame it wasn't done more recently, a 10 parter on Netflix with a decent budget would have been ideal to capture everything.

12 hours ago, Mudface said:

It is, yes, which was why I was so disappointed in the new film, as just about all of that got thrown out. You're right about the first series, it's much closer to the book, both in structure and Pennywise's actions. It's a shame it wasn't done more recently, a 10 parter on Netflix with a decent budget would have been ideal to capture everything.

You want everything from the book in the film do you?

Dd_hdAGVwAElijM.jpg

Hostiles 6/10.

My rating seems to be the lowest on here, but this was a huge disappointment because on paper, it would seem to have everything I look for, but my, what a silly movie.

The basic premise is relatively simple and safe but they somehow managed to ruin it by poor writing, pretentious directing, psychologically unconvincing (sometimes bordering on hysterical) reactions and motivation of characters and so on. Christian Bale is in his usual look-at-me-acting-great mode, most others are over the top.

Most of what characters do makes very little sense, but lets just mention what strikes me as odd on the basic premise level. So, the Army sent them on a politically motivated points scoring mercy mission in 1892 (For Indians, really? They would do that?) but they must make an arduous journey out of it by taking the most difficult route possible (in 1892 they are traveling from New Mexico or Arizona to Montana using only mountain tracks, going exclusively through wilderness (no towns, settlements, farms, ranches, roads, railway, stage coach or army posts along the way, expect one fort in Colorado, so they are making a sick old man sleeping every night under the stars).

Also, various groups of civilians in the US in 1890s obviously didn't think twice before engaging the Army in a shoot out.

On the other hand, it's worth watching just to see Timothée Chalamet as a cavalry man in a western. That was truly hilarious.

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I watched this the other night. I did enjoy it but would have rather had a sickly ending. 

Its a true story mate otherwise I'm sure we would have seen vampires and submarines in it at some juncture. 

On 14/07/2019 at 16:03, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Alita: Battle Angel

Very disappointing sc-fi given that it's directed by Robert Rodriguez and also co-produced by James Cameron.

Visually great, but let down by a terrible script. Average as fuck.

Jennifer Connelly is still fit as fuck.

5/10.

She is gorgeous but I saw her on (I think it was) Graham Norton a few months ago and she is a stuck up snotty cunt. 

Took our 4 year to see the new Lion King today. 

For her, she was scared anytime Scar or the hyena’s were on the screen but quite enjoyed the bits with Simba & Mustafa and Simba & Timon & Pumba.

My wife and I found it pretty boring. Apart from a couple of needless extra scenes, it’s more or less a frame for frame version of the original. It’s a phenomenal piece of CGI work and the animals look incredible, but I just felt cold by it all, it’s all a bit lifeless & dull. 

After the initial disappointment Jeremy Irons wasn’t Scar again, I did find the actor who did his voice quite good and menacing (I know his name, fucked if I can spell it. The black fella from Dr Strange).

As a 13 year old, I remember going to the cinema with my sister to see the original and this absolutely didn’t harbour any memories of that.

5/10.

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Its a true story mate otherwise I'm sure we would have seen vampires and submarines in it at some juncture. 

I was expecting one of them to die at the end. 

Anyway, based on a true story often means fuck all! 

The performances were were excellent though. I know Ali won Best Supporting Oscar but I thought Mortensen was excellent. Linda Cardellni is also fit as fuck, definitely one who flys under the radar. 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The performances were were excellent though. I know Ali won Best Supporting Oscar but I thought Mortensen was excellent. Linda Cardellni is also fit as fuck, definitely one who flys under the radar. 

On 20/07/2019 at 14:50, Scott_M said:

Took our 4 year to see the new Lion King today. 

For her, she was scared anytime Scar or the hyena’s were on the screen but quite enjoyed the bits with Simba & Mustafa and Simba & Timon & Pumba.

My wife and I found it pretty boring. Apart from a couple of needless extra scenes, it’s more or less a frame for frame version of the original. It’s a phenomenal piece of CGI work and the animals look incredible, but I just felt cold by it all, it’s all a bit lifeless & dull. 

After the initial disappointment Jeremy Irons wasn’t Scar again, I did find the actor who did his voice quite good and menacing (I know his name, fucked if I can spell it. The black fella from Dr Strange).

As a 13 year old, I remember going to the cinema with my sister to see the original and this absolutely didn’t harbour any memories of that.

5/10.

I wish I’d read this yesterday. I made plans to take my girls to watch it this afternoon. I was expecting them to have changed it a bit so I watched the original with my youngest last night because she’d never seen it. Needless to say we were both bored shitless today watching pretty much the exact same film as we watched about 18 hours earlier. 

On 20/07/2019 at 14:56, Scott_M said:

Oh in Bloodline she is wife material. Absolute banger her. 

38 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I wish I’d read this yesterday. I made plans to take my girls to watch it this afternoon. I was expecting them to have changed it a bit so I watched the original with my youngest last night because she’d never seen it. Needless to say we were both bored shitless today watching pretty much the exact same film as we watched about 18 hours earlier. 

...and about 25 pointless minutes longer.