You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Dark Crystal - 9/10

Not sure exactly what drove me to press play on it, but I was pretty engrossed as soon as I did.  Still absolutely mad, still confusing in terms of who it was meant to be for, but a great piece of imaginative early 80s filmmaking from the great Mr Henson.

• Upvote 1

Toy Story 4. My nieces took me to see it for my birthday, superb. Great story, positive lessons for children (and most adults), incredible animation and fuck off, no you got something in your eye at the end. 

8/10.

4 hours ago, Pidge said:

Dark Crystal - 9/10

Not sure exactly what drove me to press play on it, but I was pretty engrossed as soon as I did.  Still absolutely mad, still confusing in terms of who it was meant to be for, but a great piece of imaginative early 80s filmmaking from the great Mr Henson.

gail-coronation-street-2-e97e.jpg?qualit

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, Paul said:

Spiderman - Far From Home 8/10. Great way to follow Endgame and two great post-credit sequences.  

Are you virgins still watching these nerdy comic book movies for 14 years olds?

Only kidding. 

Rocketman - Less a biopic and more like a jukebox musical that kind of traces Elton John's career right up until he got off all the drugs. As with all things like this, a lot of how much you like it depends on how much you like his music, though I assume most people like at least one Elton John song. Taron Egerton is terrific playing John and singing all of the songs too. It's not an in-depth look but it shows more than you'd assume, considering John was a producer, and it's a pretty fun musical. 8 out of 10.

On 06/07/2019 at 07:36, Paul said:

Creed II - 8/10. Right up there with any of the films in the whole Rocky series. Really enjoyable. 

You are totally off you're nut.

They took slices from every rocky movie and lashed them into that. Oh and a load of CGI. 

I enjoyed it, 5/10. 

I haven’t seen Creed II and I’m not sure I will ever bother with it. I had high hopes for Creed given the excellent reviews it received, but I didn’t enjoy it at all. I thought the fella who played Adonis was crap and pretty wooden. I just couldn’t warm to him and ended up almost wanting him to get beat.

In order of preference

Rocky

Rocky II

Rocky IV

Rocky Balboa

Rocky III

Creed

Rocky V (still freaks my nut out that I paid to see this at the pictures)

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

You are totally off you're nut.

They took slices from every rocky movie and lashed them into that. Oh and a load of CGI. 

I enjoyed it, 5/10. 

You say that like any Rocky film is different in that regard. Is it shite a 5/10. 

On 23/05/2019 at 17:11, mars said:

John Wick 3   Not as good as one and two, though the first 20 mins are amazing. The fights at the end became repetitive and the desert bit was just dumb. 7/10

totally spot on. I was bored of the fighting towards the end and was waiting for the end.

10 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

I haven’t seen Creed II and I’m not sure I will ever bother with it. I had high hopes for Creed given the excellent reviews it received, but I didn’t enjoy it at all. I thought the fella who played Adonis was crap and pretty wooden. I just couldn’t warm to him and ended up almost wanting him to get beat.

In order of preference

Rocky

Rocky II

Rocky IV

Rocky Balboa

Rocky III

Creed

Rocky V (still freaks my nut out that I paid to see this at the pictures)

Whoa there tiger.

Rocky

Rocky III

Rocky IV

Rocky II

Rocky Balboa

The rest don't bother

Last night - The Fabulous Baker Boys, enjoyed this piano playing romantic comedy, some genuine funny & sad moments. 7/10

Tonight - The Drop, better than last time I watched it on a plane, mainly because I wasn't thinking about hurtling 30,000ft to my death every few seconds. Tom Hardy's accent lets it down a bit but Gandolfini is decent in his last ever role, 6.5/10

• Upvote 1

I re-read It by Stephen King on holiday- I first read it when it came out in the '80s, then again probably in the mid-'90s. Not exactly Nobel prize-winning literature, but a good holiday read for lazing around by the pool for a couple of weeks. Anyway, got back yesterday and thought I'd watch the 2017 film as it got good reviews, and looked a lot better than the cheap and cheesy 1990 TV film with Tim Curry. 

What a massive disappointment. It's a really strange paradox of a film, despite missing out big chunks of the novel, it feels about 30 minutes too long. The film starts off with a fantastic looking opening scene pretty much lifted directly from the book, then veers off on its own path. Nothing wrong with that, but it misses out a lot of the motivation for the kids to band together and the reasons for why they're bullied and tormented, so you need to know what happens in the book, even though the film isn't close to it.

It just seems to be a series of almost unrelated scenes which invariably end in a jump scare. There's no real tension to it, no real build up to the first climactic encounter. Even the 'you'll all float' tagline is a bit stupid; the kids in the book are terrorised so the monster can feed on their fears as well as their flesh, here they're just floating around in the air and get forgotten about when the clown is driven away. 

4/10, mainly for Skarsgard who puts in a good turn as the clown. The second part of the film is out later in the year, with the kids now grown up and having to face It again, hope it does the novel more justice than the first part did.

On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 10:11, Mudface said:

I re-read It by Stephen King on holiday- I first read it when it came out in the '80s, then again probably in the mid-'90s. Not exactly Nobel prize-winning literature, but a good holiday read for lazing around by the pool for a couple of weeks. Anyway, got back yesterday and thought I'd watch the 2017 film as it got good reviews, and looked a lot better than the cheap and cheesy 1990 TV film with Tim Curry. 

What a massive disappointment. It's a really strange paradox of a film, despite missing out big chunks of the novel, it feels about 30 minutes too long. The film starts off with a fantastic looking opening scene pretty much lifted directly from the book, then veers off on its own path. Nothing wrong with that, but it misses out a lot of the motivation for the kids to band together and the reasons for why they're bullied and tormented, so you need to know what happens in the book, even though the film isn't close to it.

It just seems to be a series of almost unrelated scenes which invariably end in a jump scare. There's no real tension to it, no real build up to the first climactic encounter. Even the 'you'll all float' tagline is a bit stupid; the kids in the book are terrorised so the monster can feed on their fears as well as their flesh, here they're just floating around in the air and get forgotten about when the clown is driven away. 

4/10, mainly for Skarsgard who puts in a good turn as the clown. The second part of the film is out later in the year, with the kids now grown up and having to face It again, hope it does the novel more justice than the first part did.

Pennywise in the TV Miniseries was a lot scarier than the 2017 movie