You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

I can’t wait for someone to post their review of the next Spider-Man film, so that people who don’t like superhero films can pipe up to say they don’t like them, and the people who do like superhero films can moan about other people moaning about not liking them.

I’ll make sure to tag you in it then.

• Upvote 1

Deadwood - The Movie

One final time down through Deadwood's muddy thoroughfare and more  whiskey soaked japes in The Gem. Some of our  favourite characters are no more (Richardson ?!) but many remain as we catch up with the residents of our favourite little prospect town.

Definitely written for fans of the series but hugely ejoyable for others, nonetheless. Oliphant (whom I think is an awful actor) was fantastic in this swansong.

Beautifully written with more than a few surprises, not ashamed  to say that the ending brought a tear to my eye.

I raise a glass to you cocksuckers. Fare thee well.

9/10

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
12 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Deadwood - The Movie

One final time down through Deadwood's muddy thoroughfare and more  whiskey soaked japes in The Gem. Some of our  favourite characters are no more (Richardson ?!) but many remain as we catch up with the residents of our favourite little prospect town.

Definitely written for fans of the series but hugely ejoyable for others, nonetheless. Oliphant (whom I think is an awful actor) was fantastic in this swansong.

Beautifully written with more than a few surprises, not ashamed  to say that the ending brought a tear to my eye.

I raise a glass to you cocksuckers. Fare thee well.

9/10

Same here mate, the rendition of Waltzing Matilda was a superb ending. 

Alita Battle Angel - 1/10. James Cameron producer. Fuck you, Cameron. I sit through that and you don’t even give me an ending. Just some fucking re-run of the raft scene in Titanic and the gobshitery of the need for a sequel you’re never going to get because this is shite. 

7 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Alita Battle Angel - 1/10. James Cameron producer. Fuck you, Cameron. I sit through that and you don’t even give me an ending. Just some fucking re-run of the raft scene in Titanic and the gobshitery of the need for a sequel you’re never going to get because this is shite. 

Isn't he making another 5 Avatar movies? That'll be fun.

Best of Enemies

True story about racial tensions in Durham, North  Carolina following a fire at a blacks only school, annd the subsequent jousting between black activist Anne Atwater and KKK wizard CP Ellis.

Overly long, the film does flag a bit, but the story and the performances (especially that of the stellar Sam Rockwell) kept me gripped.

Excellent. 7.5/10

Spider-Man: Far from Home - Good change of pace after Avengers: Endgame and another good outing for the character in the MCU. Funny, decent action scenes and a good, modern take on Mysterio. 8 out of 10

The mid-credits scene with the return of JK Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson was great. The Skrull reveal after the credits was a bit odd. I guess Nick Fury being in space has to be a future plot point.

Spider-Man. 

3 hours ago, RedKnight said:

Spider-Man: Far from Home - Good change of pace after Avengers: Endgame and another good outing for the character in the MCU. Funny, decent action scenes and a good, modern take on Mysterio. 8 out of 10

Reveal hidden contents

Agree with all of this. Spider-Man has ALL the best villains. All the other MCU heroes haven't got one memorable villain between them.

Just seen Spider-Man Far from home also

8.5/10

Absolutely brilliant, never thought anyone could pull off Mysterio into a good character but they did him very well.

Loved his illusion action scenes, very light feel in film but also showed more depth to Peter growing up somewhat also. 

MJ stole most of the scenes she was in without a doubt. 

Nice, lighthearted film which ties up some loose ends on the Infinity Saga/Tony Stark arc very well. Some very well done twists also. 

Another fine addition to the MCU.

Guest Pistonbroke

Shaft (2019) Netflix.

Nothing new and the best script, but enjoyable enough if you want to kill a few hours. 6/10. 

On 01/07/2019 at 20:12, Elite said:

Yesterday - 5/10.

Great concept but poorly executed.

Watched it tonight. I enjoyed it. Light-hearted, brilliant concept and a feel-good movie. 

Ed Sheeran managed to not piss me off in it either. 6/10. Main actor was a bit of a dick when i saw him on Graham Norton last week and he is moody in the film too. It could have been done better but I liked it. 

6 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Watched it tonight. I enjoyed it. Light-hearted, brilliant concept and a feel-good movie. 

Ed Sheeran managed to not piss me off in it either. 6/10. Main actor was a bit of a dick when i saw him on Graham Norton last week and he is moody in the film too. It could have been done better but I liked it. 

Much the same.

Light hearted, feel good, swept up in the music, really enjoyed it.

7.5/10

There is nothing like a long haul flight to catch up on a few films I’ve been meaning to watch but forgot about.

Vox Lux - A girl gets shot in a school shooting, writes a song about it & then becomes a damaged pop mega star.

I get A Star Is Born probably stole some of its thunder, they tried something different, there is a good story in there somewhere & Natalie Portman is excellent but the film so utter pretentious, I found it hard to care.

4/10

Mollys Game 

True story of a failed Olympian genius retells the story of how she set up high stakes poker games for A-list celebs, the subsequent fall & ramifications.

I really, really enjoyed this. Like really, really. Jessica Chastain is quality (and looks hot) & has a lot of good support.

Again, maybe had its thunder stolen by I, Tonya coming out at the same time but it is well worth checking out.

8.5/10.

Parasite

Bong Joon-Ho’s black comedy social satire.

A poor working class lad fakes his way into  becoming the English tutor for the daughter of a rich Korean family. Proceeds to cunningly get all the other paid help sacked and replaced by members of his own family.  Then it goes wrong. Partly because the working class smell and can’t help but get pissed.

The old Cannes jury knew what they were on about giving this the Palme d’Or because it is really excellent.

9/10