You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Infinity War - 8.5/10.  They actually did the mindless fodder thing right for a change.  Good balance from group to group and I liked the way they set up Thanos as the protagonist at points.  The whole "Thanos will return" thing was odd because, why would he?

Moana - 6/10  My attention waned a fair bit.  Seemed pretty mediocre.

Roma 7.5 /10.

It was OK, but same as with Cuaron's Gravity for me, don't quite understand all the fuss and left me a bit underwhelmed with it winning Best Director and all that. Couple of great scenes.

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile - Movie about Ted Bundy that I'm not sure knew what it wanted to do. If it wanted to focus on the women that were romantically involved with him then it failed. If it wanted to show how a dangerous individual can be normal then it failed. If it wanted to highlight the depravity of Bundy then it failed.

Instead we get Bundy slightly sexualised with an ill-advised romantic scene and a scene where's he beaten in his cell which would seem to be designed to illicit sympathy if we didn't know who the subject was.

Zac Efron was fine as Bundy but I couldn't see him as much other than Zac Efron. The female roles are rubbish, reduced to love-struck idiocy or brooding drunk. As a biopic it doesn't emphasise just how depraved Bundy's crimes were and it didn't provide enough to understand the women's actions toward Bundy. Disappointing, watch the documentary series on Netflix which, weirdly, is from the director of this film. 3 out of 10.

Equaliser 2

Enjoyed it. Denzel Washington is always hugely watchable and the film cracks along at a decent pace.

Not earth shatteringly original but kept my attention to the end which not many films do these days

Solid 6.5 

18 hours ago, mattyq said:

Equaliser 2

Enjoyed it. Denzel Washington is always hugely watchable and the film cracks along at a decent pace.

Not earth shatteringly original but kept my attention to the end which not many films do these days

Solid 6.5 

Does that one start with him dressed like a muslim on a train to Turkey or similar? If so I turned it off after about five minutes.

20 hours ago, RedKnight said:

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile - Movie about Ted Bundy that I'm not sure knew what it wanted to do. If it wanted to focus on the women that were romantically involved with him then it failed. If it wanted to show how a dangerous individual can be normal then it failed. If it wanted to highlight the depravity of Bundy then it failed.

Instead we get Bundy slightly sexualised with an ill-advised romantic scene and a scene where's he beaten in his cell which would seem to be designed to illicit sympathy if we didn't know who the subject was.

Zac Efron was fine as Bundy but I couldn't see him as much other than Zac Efron. The female roles are rubbish, reduced to love-struck idiocy or brooding drunk. As a biopic it doesn't emphasise just how depraved Bundy's crimes were and it didn't provide enough to understand the women's actions toward Bundy. Disappointing, watch the documentary series on Netflix which, weirdly, is from the director of this film. 3 out of 10.

The Deliberate Stranger is the best Bundy depiction, I reckon.  

The more I see of the Bundy case the more I think how futile it was to execute him given how much he could have provided,on top of what he did,towards helping law enforcement profile others like him. He was an absolute monster but would have served a better job being psychologically disembowelled rather than the literal sense.

I did see a decent 70s or 80s film about him which was creepy at the time but may now look dated.

Spiderman Homecoming: 8.5/10

Very good, this is exactly what I mean when I say they don't need a mindless army to beat on in every film.  This was really entertaining, easily the best Spiderman film there's been.  Quality performance from Keaton, as always.  Turns it's biggest issue (that it's totally reliant on the films around it) to a strength.  Really enjoyable.

• Upvote 1

The haunting of Sharon Tate. I have always had a morbid fascination with this crime and the Manson family but this feels like a cheap cash in ahead of the exposure the story will get when Tarantino's film comes out.

Working on the notion that Tate had premonitions of her, her baby and her friends death just days before the actual event,  the film decends into fantasy and ends up not knowing what it's supposed to be other than the already mentioned cheap cash-in. 4.5/10.

The Inventor: Out For Blood In Silicon Valley. 8/10.

Alex Gibney documentary revolving around the rise and fall of Theranos and it’s ever so slightly egomaniacal CEO, Elizabeth Holmes (currently awaiting trial on charges of conspiracy and fraud). A salutary tale of how, no matter how important or smart you think you are, you can still be taken in by a good yarn sincerely and forcefully told.

• Upvote 1

Once Upon a Time in London- shite- 3/10

If Beale Street Could Talk- a cure for insomnia- 3/10

Fighting With My Family- typical feelgood fare with a few decent laughs- 7/10

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile-  not bad but preferred the documentary- 6/10.

Saving Private Ryan - 10/10. This is a hugely underrated film and rarely gets mentions in conversations about the best of all time. However, I think it is just about perfect, with the only proviso being that the contemporary scenes which book-end the film are ever so slightly too schmaltzy. But that's a very minor quibble because for casting, dialogue, pacing, intensity of the drama and the cinematography, it is a work of absolute genius. 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Paul said:

Saving Private Ryan - 10/10. This is a hugely underrated film and rarely gets mentions in conversations about the best of all time. However, I think it is just about perfect, with the only proviso being that the contemporary scenes which book-end the film are ever so slightly too schmaltzy. But that's a very minor quibble because for casting, dialogue, pacing, intensity of the drama and the cinematography, it is a work of absolute genius. 

Funny you mention that, me and my mate are watching that this weekend. It's an absolute masterpiece. We might even take a chunk out of Band of Brothers too.

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile

There was nothing extremely wicked, shocking, evil or vile about it.

Very boring. Lily Collins is pretty tidy. 

4/10

Feel the same way, actually. Thought it was pretty crap. 

I watched Shazam!, which I thought was really underwhelming and worth a 4/10. 

Captain Fantastic - Viggo Mortensen as the father of 6 kids brought up as survivalists and away from modern society. Nice comedy drama with some great performances by the kids. 8 out of 10

Lady Macbeth - Period drama with Florence Pugh as a young woman married to an older bloke who's a bit of a bastard. Once he and his dad are away on business she begins an affair with a stable hand and... it deviates a little bit from where you think it'll go. Interesting up to a point but it's told in that modern British way of not much dialogue, moody landscape shots and grim music. If that's not for you then you'll hate it; otherwise it's 6.5 out of 10