You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

31 minutes ago, Special K said:

Free Solo - 10/10

Just unbelievable. More an experience than a film. Felt liked throwing up during that last sequence.

Amazing what Asperger's syndrome does to someone.

That final traverse had me twisting around in my seat, it was nauseating.

The type of fella he is fascinated me, in terms of the crucial role it plays in him being able to achieve this and that there seemed an element of him consciously utilising it as another tool.

The stuff about mental armour in particular; you could see how and where that started to risk getting pierced and what a danger it became.

While not charismatic in any conventional sense, I found the focus on him as a character side of the film hugely interesting in understanding why this was even remotely possible.

Incredibly unique individual and accomplishment.

• Upvote 1

On 29/03/2019 at 20:37, Scott_M said:

The Dirt.

I was looking forward to it. It should have been ace, a rock’n’roll version of Wolf Of Wall Street on crack, but fuck me, it’s a Hallmark Channel cheap & nasty version of what should have been a great film.

The cast are turely awful. They might of well have cast the guy who played Neil

in The Inbetweeners as Tommy-Lee & the guy who played Nikki Sixx was about as menacing as a butter knife.

There were a few decent moments. The bit with Ozzy Osbourne was funny and some of the more tragic bits with Vince Neill were quite touching but overall, a massive missed opportunity.

4/10. 

I said earlier in the thread that if you treat it as a parody then you would tolerate it better. I'm lucky that I have little knowledge of them or their music so I expected very little in terms of subtlety or reality and wasn't disappointed. It did come over as a tv movie with loads of adult content though.

31 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

The Highwaymen

Costner and Harrelson star in the hunt for Bonnie and Clyde. Looks  fantastic, really enjoyed it.

8.5/10

I'll get on to that.

5 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I said earlier in the thread that if you treat it as a parody then you would tolerate it better. I'm lucky that I have little knowledge of them or their music so I expected very little in terms of subtlety or reality and wasn't disappointed. It did come over as a tv movie with loads of adult content though.

I except my expectations were maybe high but I still firmly believe the film should have been significantly better.

The films wrote itself - losers make it huge, debauchery, hilarity, crushing blows, redemption, happy ending.

IMO the film absolutely didn’t make the most of it.

On 30/03/2019 at 23:24, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

That final traverse had me twisting around in my seat, it was nauseating.

The type of fella he is fascinated me, in terms of the crucial role it plays in him being able to achieve this and that there seemed an element of him consciously utilising it as another tool.

The stuff about mental armour in particular; you could see how and where that started to risk getting pierced and what a danger it became.

While not charismatic in any conventional sense, I found the focus on him as a character side of the film hugely interesting in understanding why this was even remotely possible.

Incredibly unique individual and accomplishment.

Totally agree. Fascinating character. I felt really sorry for his missus though. He basically openly said that climbing is more important to him than she is - and meant it. Classically autistic honesty. 

If you enjoyed that, watch The Dawn Wall. It’s the story of Tommy Caldwell (who appears in Free Solo) and Kevin Jorgensen’s ascent of the (previously believed impossible) Dawn Wall on El Capitan. 

Caldwell is widely regarded as the greatest climber who ever lived and you can see why in this. He’s not as downright fucking nuts as Alex Honnold, but his talent is breathtaking. 

These two films have got me really looking forward to climbing hitting Olympics next time round. It’s a really skilful, mentally & physically demanding and exhilarating sport. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

I haven't seen the The Highwaymen, but I might watch it now, just to see if The Guardian's (I think) scathing review was right or not. Other reviews are mostly also not very good. 

I've learned not listen to reviews, they all copy each other so that they don't look like they are wrong.

On 31/03/2019 at 00:17, Pidge said:

Just had an Everyman open up in town, anyone got any experience?  Is the food/couch situation one of the those gimmicks that just irritates during the film, or does it all work okay?

They're good. Expensive but they do decent food and drink and the seats are comfy.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Elite said:

I've learned not listen to reviews, they all copy each other so that they don't look like they are wrong.

True, most reviewers are careful not to stick out too much.

The Guardian reviewer however really goes out of his way to stick it to The Highwaymen, calling it odious and dimwitted. To be fair , a lot of it seems to come from an ideological perspective, as if the film is some right wingers retelling of the story, with old white men trying to assert their power and relevance (I guess this is stricly a no-no). 

One other thing is, it seems everything with Costner gets a bad review now.  

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/mar/10/the-highwaymen-review-netflix-kevin-costner-woody-harrelson

Is the review off the mark?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

The Guardian reviewer however really goes out of his way to stick to The Highwaymen, calling it odious and dimwitted. To be fair , a lot of it seems to come from an ideological perspective, as if the film is some right wingers retelling of the story, with old white men trying to assert their power and relevance (I guess this is stricly a no-no). 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/mar/10/the-highwaymen-review-netflix-kevin-costner-woody-harrelson

I'll watch it just for Woody Harrelson, I never liked him years ago but now he's one of my favourite actors.

5 hours ago, SasaS said:

The Guardian reviewer however really goes out of his way to stick it to The Highwaymen, calling it odious and dimwitted. To be fair , a lot of it seems to come from an ideological perspective, as if the film is some right wingers retelling of the story, with old white men trying to assert their power and relevance (I guess this is stricly a no-no). 

imdb averages at 7.1, rottentomatoes viewers rate 77%. Metacritic averages at 58% rottentomatoes reviews average at 50%.

Says it all really.

Tag -  Comedy with Ed Helms, Jeremy Renner and Jon Hamm based on an actual group of friends who've played a lifelong game of tag. It was okay, a couple of laughs in it but it was a little bit bland and suffered from that thing that a lot of recent US comedies do, which is do lots of near-the-knuckle jokes but then become really saccharine at the end. 5 out of 10.

Free Solo 7/10.

Not as good as I expected given the reviews on here but spectacular cinematography and an interesting insight into somebody with an incredibly low fear of death.

The Mule 8/10.

Another excellent Clint Eastwood film which sits uncomfortably with his real life 'stupid republican white man' personality.

• Upvote 1