You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Logan is on tv now. I get it's a gritty dark film for a comic book movie and adds a sombre feel. I just think it's the fucking Xmen and two of the biggest characters die as depressing has beens in shitty ways. I don't care for the poetry behind it building some kind of meaningful purpose to wolverines life it's a bastard comic book. Zero out of 10 why depress the shit out of everything because Nolan made batman begins.

Logan is brilliant.

Watched Thor Ragnarok earlier, felt like Guardians of the Galaxy.  Decent for a marvel film, with quality actors enjoying themselves (thought Tessa Thompson was ace) and an excellent director leaving his mark like no one really has since Whedon departed.  Still though, the "main" plot with Asgard was a bit wank, par for the course for Marvel really for me, I just couldn't give a shit about the wider "MCU" (it's fitting that these films have gotten to the point where flying into a cosmic arsehole is actually part of the plot, as the studio seems to have disappeared up it's own arse about five years ago).  I suppose at least it was enjoyable to see how they make the mythological references fit the setting.

7/10 - entertaining but don't think I'd ever rush to watch it again.

"Oh no, the big baddie has an army of mindless, unfeeling footsoldiers that will provide an intimidating presence for the first hour and then endless fodder for the second."

Boring.  Was tiresome enough in Avengers Assemble.  Can't believe they're still at it.  Ultimately they're films sold on action and the vast majority of the action lacks any weight whatsoever.  Then the characters and their stories are largely undermined by the overriding need to serve a meta-narrative (which lost my interest a long time ago).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Pidge said:

"Oh no, the big baddie has an army of mindless, unfeeling footsoldiers that will provide an intimidating presence for the first hour and then endless fodder for the second."

Boring.  Was tiresome enough in Avengers Assemble.  Can't believe they're still at it.

*shakes head*

BeneficialMilkyEstuarinecrocodile-small.

23 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Logan is on tv now. I get it's a gritty dark film for a comic book movie and adds a sombre feel. I just think it's the fucking Xmen and two of the biggest characters die as depressing has beens in shitty ways. I don't care for the poetry behind it building some kind of meaningful purpose to wolverines life it's a bastard comic book. Zero out of 10 why depress the shit out of everything because Nolan made batman begins.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, 60s Batman > Nolan’s Batman

Just now, skend04 said:

Is it an evening of nonsense reviews and views? Logan is immense, even on repeated viewings, and Thor Ragnarok is comedy genius. The Korg introduction scene cracks me up every time. 

I said it was entertaining.  My problem, if there is one, is with the wider "MCU" bollocks rather than that film.  Quite liked Loki's arc through the film as well. 

The Predator- 4/10

Expected so much more from a Shane Black Predator. A couple of funny lines and some decent violence can't mask a shit film

Widows - 5/10

There's an awesome film in here somewhere. Unfortunately there's about 5 others trying to get out at the same time

Mirage. 7.5/10.

Remember that film called Frequency in which a fireman could communicate with his dead dad in the past via a radio transmitter? Well this Spanish Netflix is a bit like that but with a TV and camcorder instead of the radio.

A woman views some tapes found in her new home and they are of a boy who died 30 years earlier. During an electric storm they are somehow able to communicate through the TV and she warns him of things that will cause his death. However by doing this she causes a ripple effect that has consequences in her own life and has to try undo what she has done.

Pretty good yeah.

• Upvote 1

The Cabin in The Woods

On late last night and I have to say I'm not a horror/slash'em film, fan, but I thought I'd give it a go. Generally well surprised; funny, certainly not shocking in its horror and a great twist with some great dialogue for the humour. Got a bit too daft at the end, but all in all, a really enjoyable horror style comedy. 

7/10 pheromone squirts  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

The Cabin in The Woods

On late last night and I have to say I'm not a horror/slash'em film, fan, but I thought I'd give it a go. Generally well surprised; funny, certainly not shocking in its horror and a great twist with some great dialogue for the humour. Got a bit too daft at the end, but all in all, a really enjoyable horror style comedy. 

7/10 pheromone squirts  

Yeah it's good fun that.

On 23/03/2019 at 21:47, Sweeney287 said:

The Dirt, Netflix documentary on Mötley Crüe

Grew up listening to them, along with Guns N Roses and Skid Row. Some great tunes, some not so great acting, plenty of naked ladies as you would expect, but good film with plenty of foot and finger tapping going on. 

Watched this the other day and found it pretty funny,like a Spinal Tap parody. I'd hardly heard any of their music but thought the film was watchable enough and had some very nice naked ladies in it too.

First Man 7/10.

Competent, unnecessary, forgettable.

Chazelle (Whiplash, La La Land, big fan) seems to be interested only in obsessive or driven characters willing to sacrifice everything or at least a lot for ambition or perfection in what they do, which is fine, but this is a true story about astronauts and real astronauts and pilots are by definition boring. They tend to be healthy, psychologically stable and focused people who talk al lot about engines and thrust which is hard to make interesting. It's masterfully directed, there are some great visuals, but the script is flawed.

Using NASA's original film set to shoot the Moon landing was a nice touch.

• Like 1