You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Captain Marvel 6/10

Very weak Marvel film, it wasnt bad but I just didn't feel the story and the action scenes were mostly very underwhelming.

Shame as I really wanted to like this one. Just felt rushed and a bit all over the place mostly. Even Goose the Cat and what was introduced for him was almost an afterthought. 

It had had some heart in the end but the action, comedy and wonder were missing it seemed.

Up there with Ant Man and The Wasp for Marvel filler, for me.

On 17/03/2019 at 13:28, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

I have such an aversion to heights, even watching stuff like crane climbing or extreme parkour makes my stomach go limp like a fish and me feel like puking, let alone actually being up high myself.

Despite that I’m gonna five Free Solo a go, probably from behind the sofa, because the scale of achievement and how ridiculously impressive the lad involved in is sound completely mind-blowing.

If I can overcome my own pussified reactions and make it all the way through, will try The Dawn Wall as well.

If you haven't seen Man on Wire, I suggest you check that out as well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boss said:

If you haven't seen Man on Wire, I suggest you check that out as well.

Good recommendation mate.

My brother has been trying to get me to watch it for best part of a decade but I’m not kidding about the height thing.

Will try to get all 3 in over the coming weeks!

2 hours ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Good recommendation mate.

My brother has been trying to get me to watch it for best part of a decade but I’m not kidding about the height thing.

Will try to get all 3 in over the coming weeks!

I hope you enjoy it if you do watch it mate. I thought it was pretty magical when I watched it.

Funny Cow - Maxine Peake as an up and coming female comedian in Yorkshire in the '70s and '80s. Not quite what I wanted, as it didn't lean as much into the grit of '70s working men's clubs as I expected and could often be quite whimsical. I also didn't think we ever got much insight into why the character is like she is, especially in her latter years. 5 out of 10.

Tombstone - '90s western about Wyatt Earp, his brothers and Doc Holliday. Never got around to watching it and it was as fun as I thought it would be. Not a deep, or properly accurate, portrait of the events after the gunfight at the OK Corral but I did like that it wasn't the centrepiece of the film and we saw the aftermath. Val Kilmer's turn as Holliday makes you wonder why he couldn't not be an arsehole and done better with his career. 8 out of 10.

The Seven Ups, 1973 cop thriller starring Roy Scheider. Really enjoyed this one, certainly a sub French Connection-type film made by the same producer (I think) which even featured a brilliant 10 minute car chase. A great soundtrack by Rob Ellis, an appearance by Cliff Barnes out of Dallas & some of the best coats ever captured on celluloid. 7/10.

• Upvote 1

Aquaman. Absolutely shite like all the DC films. Clunky script, dodgy action scenes and the less said about riding sharks into battle the better. 4/10. 

Bumblebee. Quite enjoyed this. Nice 80s soundtrack, decent enough story and some nice comedy moments. 7/10.

Miss Sloane 2/10

Watched this as I like a good political ‘thriller’ but this fell way short.

Couldnt stand the bratty, self obsessed, one dimensional main character (shame as I rate Jessica Chastain highly) and all the supporting ones in the same vein.

Didn’t feel a single second of empathy for anyone. Hated it from start to finish.

Nuke it from space. 

Free Solo - no rating as I turned it off about a third or the way through due to boredom. I’ve got no aversion to heights, but found Alex Honnold to be such a boring bastard that I couldn’t invest anything in him or his climb.

Polar. 3/10. Netflix has some good television, but the films just aren’t cutting it at the moment. Neither as funny or action-packed as it clearly wanted to be. Like a really low-rent John Wick. Although 10/10 for Rusty the dog. That did make me laugh out loud.

Splinter. 5/10. Was probably worth a bigger score when it first came out, but now we have a plethora of zombie shite, and at heart it’s another zombie flick.

The Hunt - Danish drama with Mads Mikkelsen as a nursery school teacher who's falsely accused of being a paedophile. Excellent film that asks what happens to a man and a reputation when such an accusation has been dealt and if a person, and the community around them, can come back from that. Mikkelsen is, as always, excellent and his portrayal of a wronged, vulnerable person is quite moving. Difficult subject matter but 9 out of 10.

• Upvote 3

Logan is on tv now. I get it's a gritty dark film for a comic book movie and adds a sombre feel. I just think it's the fucking Xmen and two of the biggest characters die as depressing has beens in shitty ways. I don't care for the poetry behind it building some kind of meaningful purpose to wolverines life it's a bastard comic book. Zero out of 10 why depress the shit out of everything because Nolan made batman begins.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3