You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

All The Money In The World - Ridley Scott's version of the kidnap of Paul Getty, and his grandfather's hesitancy to pay the ransom, which is more famous for the jettisoning of Kevin Spacey at the last minute for Christopher Plummer. A fairly nuts and bolts movie that's fine but nothing more. Mark Wahlberg is relatively understated as Fletcher Chace and Plummer is okay as the elder Getty, though I can only think he was Oscar nominated as an eff-you to Spacey because his performance is nothing special. The definition of average so 5 out of 10.

Blackkklansman - Spike Lee's film based on a true story of a black policeman going undercover with the KKK. Good performances all round, though I think the film could've been trimmed by 15 minutes, and the story/themes are still incredibly relevant today. In fact the film ends with footage of Charlottesville in 2017 and Trump's response to it. Worth seeing even if it'll make you wonder why people are such cunts. 8.5 out of 10.

Brimstone - Moody Western with Guy Pearce and Dakota Fanning that's incredibly grim viewing for most of its overlong run time. It features (in no particular order) rape, child abuse, incest, mutilation, hanging and immolation - not viewing for all the family. The story is told in a Tarantino-esque fashion to hide the mystery of the central character until the last quarter of the film and it mostly works but it's gruelling to watch due to the subject matter and it's near 2hr 30min run time. Told from a female perspective but I wouldn't call it a feminist revisionist Western or anything like that because so much violence and misery is heaped on the central character. Guy Pearce absolutely revels in his role as evil incarnate and Dakota Fanning puts in a good performance as the doomed protagonist but it's hard work. 6.5 out of 10.

Fyre - 7.5/10. Netflix documentary charting the rise and abject fall of the ill-fated Fyre Festival and Fyre booking platform. Won’t say too much as it would spoil some of it, except to say the enjoyment of watching a bunch of entitled millennials descend into Lord of the Flies after a few hours hardship  is soon replaced with sympathy for the other victims of the fraud - employees and particularly the Bahamians who weren’t paid or in one case, lost their life savings having to pay the extra employees they took on. Fyre head honcho, Billy McFarlene, deserves a seriously good hiding, as does that obnoxious fuckwit Jarule. Worth a watch.

4 hours ago, Elite said:

Has any Netflix original been any good? They all seem shit.

They make some cracking TV shows.

They make some good films too but quite bizarrely they tend not to promote them much. Probably as they are largely non English and English speakers are not able to use subtitles!

The Dawn Wall - 8/10. Really good documentary about Tommy Caldwell (and Kevin Jorgensen) and his ascent of the “impossible” Dawn Wall Of El Capitan. Not as stomach churning as the brilliant Free Solo, but still a really good watch. 

I have such an aversion to heights, even watching stuff like crane climbing or extreme parkour makes my stomach go limp like a fish and me feel like puking, let alone actually being up high myself.

Despite that I’m gonna five Free Solo a go, probably from behind the sofa, because the scale of achievement and how ridiculously impressive the lad involved in is sound completely mind-blowing.

If I can overcome my own pussified reactions and make it all the way through, will try The Dawn Wall as well.