You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

30 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

Thing is, if that was the first time he saw it, it’s bound to look a bit shite. So many films from that era just fall flat for first time viewers now. 

I missed used a lot of films lol that era because, well, it was a time when leaving the house for entertainment was something people still did. Since then, I’ve tried to watch a few and it’s a real struggle. I watched Lethal Weapon and it was just terrible. My mate couldn’t believe what I was saying, but he went back and watched it and understood how cheesy I found it when I had no nostalgic connection to it. 

It it makes me wonder if I’d still like Die Hard as much as I do if this was the first time I’d seen it. 

Die Hard is the greatest action film ever made. It stands up to the test of time

5 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You have to watch Jaws back in the 1970s to appreciate how good it was,which can't happen now although you could go to Tony Moanero's house and watch it in the 1980s instead.

It would be great to dunk a custard cream in a cup of tea, pretending the custard cream is a bikini-clad swimmer and that I am the great white shark and the music plays as the custard cream is bitten in half.

8 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Nonsense. 

Also:

Jaws

ET

Jurassic Park

Schindlers List

Saving Private Ryan

Munich

War Of The Worlds

Catch Me If You Can

Empire Of The Sun 

(to name just a few)

Strongly disagree. 

It's not just a Spielberg thing but a reaction to Hollywood in general.  The super slick, big budget style just doesn't do it for me anymore.  I've watched Jaws loads of times in the past and enjoyed it, but this time around the magic was lost on me. 

These days, I much prefer watching movies filmed in the found footage/shaky cam style with no famous actors, or lower budget movies with nobody high profile in the lead roles.  This gives an enhanced sense of realism and engages me more as a viewer.  Give me Cage Dive (Open Water 3) over Jaws any day. 

3 minutes ago, TK421 said:

It's not just a Spielberg thing but a reaction to Hollywood in general.  The super slick, big budget style just doesn't do it for me anymore.  I've watched Jaws loads of times in the past and enjoyed it, but this time around the magic was lost on me. 

These days, I much prefer watching movies filmed in the found footage/shaky cam style with no famous actors, or lower budget movies with nobody high profile in the lead roles.  This gives an enhanced sense of realism and engages me more as a viewer.  Give me Cage Dive (Open Water 3) over Jaws any day. 

The great thing about jaws is it wasn't super slick big budget! 

31 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I doubt it was done on a pittance, either.  Richard Dreyfuss, John Williams - these things cost money.  Even a cursory glance at Wiki tells me it went $5m over budget. 

They could spend £200 million on a new shark film and it still wouldn't be a scratch on Jaws

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I doubt it was done on a pittance, either.  Richard Dreyfuss, John Williams - these things cost money.  Even a cursory glance at Wiki tells me it went $5m over budget. 

Ah, but that was due to the ultra-realistic animatronic shark at the end...

On 2/16/2019 at 7:48 PM, TK421 said:

I watched Jaws the other night and thought it was shite.  I've decided Spielberg may be slightly overrated. 

Is this a real opinion or are you just being daft/contrary? Fair enough, if so; just never encountered anyone who thought that before. 

3 minutes ago, Paul said:

Is this a real opinion or are you just being daft/contrary? Fair enough, if so; just never encountered anyone who thought that before. 

The Shark preferred CDs to vinyl. It’s relationship with TK was never going to work.

2 minutes ago, Paul said:

Just a matter of personal taste.  I acknowledge that objectively it's a good film, and that he has made other good/great films by any objective measurement.  

2 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Dreyfuss apparently thought he was too good for the film. Shaw a bad bad alcoholic  

thought he was a tit. Spielberg gave Scheider the part at a party, he told him he was struggling to find an actor, Sceider said what about me. The rest is history.

Sounds a bit like how this forum was built. 

Jaws is fucking brilliant, went to see it about 5 years ago at the pictures when they reduxed it & it was a magic experience. I even got to say to the boy when I bought the tickets, "What's it about, mate?", one of the highlights of my pathetic existence.

Duel is my second favourite Spielberg film behind ET though, it often gets overlooked.

• Upvote 4

The Endless. 7/10. Curious as I don’t know whether I can say I enjoyed as opposed to thinking it was an interesting idea. It’s labelled as a horror film but it’s more science fiction. I watched it because it appears regularly on Lovecraftian film lists.