You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Creed 2.

Shit. Just the same old Rocky film but with different characters and zero charisma.

Watched Rocky 3 the other night it was ace. Clubber is boss. Even the fight scenes from back then are better and much more emotional.

This has nothing. Not even a bluenose to boo.

Should be the end of the Rocky stuff now.

3/10

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, iPlop said:

Creed 2.

Shit. Just the same old Rocky film but with different characters and zero charisma.

Watched Rocky 3 the other night it was ace. Clubber is boss. Even the fight scenes from back then are better and much more emotional.

This has nothing. Not even a bluenose to boo.

Should be the end of the Rocky stuff now.

3/10

Still the rematch with Thunderclaps to come yet. 

Watched The Terminal with Tom Hanks again last night. Not seen it in years. Cracking little film. Obviously a bit cheesy etc but Hanks plays his role brilliantly and Catherine Zeta-Jones is 11/10 in it. 

7/10 

6 minutes ago, iPlop said:

Free Solo.

Some fucking nut job attempts to free climb a massive sheer granite cliff in Yosemite.

Had to look away on numerous occasions as he hangs thousands of feet up by a thumb.

Incredible7.5/10

Saw the trailer for that and got vertigo. Some absolute headcases out there. 

3 minutes ago, Hand Shandy said:

Halfway through Free Solo. Fucking insanity. The man has got balls the size of that watermelon his missus cuts for him.

Don’t think he has big balls he is just insane and doesn’t give a fuck.

Says he is not arsed if he falls off to his death as long as no one  is watching.

Public Enemies

I remember when this film came out. Michael Mann directing Bale vs Depp in an American gangster story of Jonny Dillenger. I also love Marion Cotillard. I thinking after I saw it first, that it was absolutely ace and really enjoyed it. However, nobody seemed to agree with me.

I watched it again yesterday and I still think it’s brilliant - a very, very underrated film.

8.5/10

7 hours ago, cochyn said:

No mate, the guy Viggo Mortensen played is Tony Lip. Soz for the confusion.

Ah, with you. So Tony Lip was actually in The Sopranos. I still haven't watched anything of that beyond the third episode.

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Public Enemies

I remember when this film came out. Michael Mann directing Bale vs Depp in an American gangster story of Jonny Dillenger. I also love Marion Cotillard. I thinking after I saw it first, that it was absolutely ace and really enjoyed it. However, nobody seemed to agree with me.

I watched it again yesterday and I still think it’s brilliant - a very, very underrated film.

8.5/10

I think the way it was filmed, using digital cameras, put a lot of people off. It's hard to judge the film itself when there's such a barrier to your immersion.

Spectre 6/10

It’s actually pretty good until Blofeld turned up and then it got more and more stupid. Seems like they tried to replace the emotional arc of M’s death with step-brother face off, however, it just completely missed the mark.

Shame as it was on course to being a decent film & Waltz could have been a great villain. Saying that, a quick skim through his films on IMDb, the only good films Waltz has been in are with Tarentino. 

Ready Player One - Adaptation of the book of the same name and I had the same level of frustration with the film that I did with the book but for different reasons. I think it was just too meta to have Spielberg direct this when the book is very often in thrall to his movies and given how much of the film was CGI I'm not sure how much he even directed. Everything felt to weightless, rushed, under-explained, goofy and clichéd. Spotting some of the pop culture characters and references was fun but I felt it traded way too heavily on nostalgia, just like the book. At least the author (screenwriter here too) had the good grace to drop the whole "The puzzle was a scene from Film X, luckily I'd just watched Film X 200 times a week ago" shtick that ruins the book so badly. Also, Mark Rylance doesn't have to be in everything you do, Steven. 4 out of 10.

On 2/16/2019 at 7:48 PM, TK421 said:

I watched Jaws the other night and thought it was shite.  I've decided Spielberg may be slightly overrated. 

Nonsense. 

Also:

Jaws

ET

Jurassic Park

Schindlers List

Saving Private Ryan

Munich

War Of The Worlds

Catch Me If You Can

Empire Of The Sun 

(to name just a few)

Strongly disagree. 

4 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Nonsense. 

Also:

Jaws

ET

Jurassic Park

Schindlers List

Saving Private Ryan

Munich

War Of The Worlds

Catch Me If You Can

Empire Of The Sun 

(to name just a few)

Strongly disagree. 

Jaws is boss simply because it has sharks in it and the music is legendary. All other factors are just bonuses.

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Nonsense. 

Also:

Jaws

ET

Jurassic Park

Schindlers List

Saving Private Ryan

Munich

War Of The Worlds

Catch Me If You Can

Empire Of The Sun 

(to name just a few)

Strongly disagree. 

Thing is, if that was the first time he saw it, it’s bound to look a bit shite. So many films from that era just fall flat for first time viewers now. 

I missed used a lot of films lol that era because, well, it was a time when leaving the house for entertainment was something people still did. Since then, I’ve tried to watch a few and it’s a real struggle. I watched Lethal Weapon and it was just terrible. My mate couldn’t believe what I was saying, but he went back and watched it and understood how cheesy I found it when I had no nostalgic connection to it. 

It it makes me wonder if I’d still like Die Hard as much as I do if this was the first time I’d seen it. 

1 hour ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Jaws is boss simply because it has sharks in it and the music is legendary. All other factors are just bonuses.

You have to watch Jaws back in the 1970s to appreciate how good it was,which can't happen now although you could go to Tony Moanero's house and watch it in the 1980s instead.

• Upvote 4